Why are some people saying that I should change my monitor?

Solution

Yes you can.
But you don't NEED such a powerful graphics card for everyday computing tasks such as watching videos and surfing the web, so it's a bit of a waste of money.

And as for the "best resolution":
The best resolution to use isn't determined by your graphics card. It's determined by your monitor. Just use your monitor's native resolution (usually the max). In your case, this is 1600x900.
But as others have said, this isn't a great resolution by today's standards, and I would recommend upgrading to 1900x1080 as well.

RestrictedByChoice

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

but..I can still use it on my current monitor right? what's the downside of using my current monitor with the gtx 460?

Taylor422

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010

A GTX 460 has more power than your monitor can utilize. There is no point in getting a graphics card that is more powerful than your monitor, because you're spending more money on graphics cards then you need to.

RestrictedByChoice

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I'll be able to buy a new monitor about 4 months from now but before that time comes, can I still use my gtx 460 with my current monitor for everyday computing? maybe watching videos,internet,etc..

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Yes you can.
But you don't NEED such a powerful graphics card for everyday computing tasks such as watching videos and surfing the web, so it's a bit of a waste of money.

And as for the "best resolution":
The best resolution to use isn't determined by your graphics card. It's determined by your monitor. Just use your monitor's native resolution (usually the max). In your case, this is 1600x900.
But as others have said, this isn't a great resolution by today's standards, and I would recommend upgrading to 1900x1080 as well.

Solution

RestrictedByChoice

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I wanted to use this new build that I made for Gaming.. but back when I buy all the parts, I didn't know about all of this.. so it seems that I must wait for about 3-4 months (probably 3) before I can enjoy gaming with my gtx 460 to the fullest..

too bad..I really wanted to play civ 5 and left for dead 2 now.. back to my xbox 360 I guess.. :cry: