Sign in with
Your question

Serious Problem with my System

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2011 10:40:41 AM

I have a couple year old rig, a Q6600 quad core and recently I haven't been able to boot up and start. At first I would get some artifacting when i was using the computer and then it would shut down after awhile. Now I get some artifacting in the Bios (3-4 distinct lines, and then more in the windows logo. After the windows logo loads up the computer does not boot into the OS it just stays at a black screen now.

At first I thought the computer must be overheating so I took the rig apart, cleaned up all the dust, reapplied good quality thermal paste on the cpu and i still had the problem. Then i thought the artifacting could be because the GPU was overheating so i opened it up and reapplied thermal paste on the gpu aswell (its a Asus 8800 GTS i believe). This also did not yeild any results. Finally i replaced my PSU to a new 500W cooler master PSU and still the computer won't boot up.

I've tried trouble shooting in every way that I know off. Please help :) 

Specs:

Q6600 stock speed
Asus P5B premium motherboard
4GB of ram (4x1GB modules)
Asus 8800GTS 320mb
cooler master centurion case
Asus dvd drive

More about : problem system

January 7, 2011 10:47:11 AM

When you say it won't boot up what exactly happens? Do you push the on button and nothing happens? Does it POST?

It's sound like a dead GPU to me, but describe exactly what happens. Step by step if necessary.
m
l
January 7, 2011 11:27:47 AM

I'll try my best to describe what happens.

1. I boot the computer.

2. The computer reaches the POST screen and there are 3-4 vertical lines near the left side of the screen. Lines look like artifacting, pinkish color.

3. Artifacting then disappears and the computer screen goes black for a few seconds.

4. Windows OS boot logo appears, OS Starts to load. Some weird discolorations/artifacting.

5. Black screen......and nothing else.
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2011 11:55:35 AM

It does sound like a defective GPU to me. It would be helpful if you had a spare to try or if you know someone who does.

You could also try swapping the memory around a bit just to eliminate that as a problem. You have four one gig sticks so try each one inidividually see if that does anything.

Like I said though, I think it's a GPU issue.
m
l
January 7, 2011 12:02:59 PM

hmm alright thanks, its so wierd that it would just stop working after working so well all these years :(  i guess i have no choice but to get my hands on a spare gpu. Thanks for the help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2011 12:30:21 PM

Try a single mem stick first, is also possible is weakening PSU is unable to supply adequate power/current to GPU.....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2011 12:31:43 PM

I have seen artifacting in the BIOS caused by weird mem issues with an old ALot A Athlon 650...it displayed hearts/clubs, etc, on top of BIOS display....bizarre!
m
l
January 7, 2011 12:34:05 PM

undadawg said:
hmm alright thanks, its so wierd that it would just stop working after working so well all these years :(  i guess i have no choice but to get my hands on a spare gpu. Thanks for the help.

Nothing lasts forever. On my current PC I've had to replace the GPU and the memory during its lifespan. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Try the memory first though, since that's something you can do easily.
m
l
January 7, 2011 12:35:23 PM

mdd1963 said:
I have seen artifacting in the BIOS caused by weird mem issues with an old ALot A Athlon 650...it displayed hearts/clubs, etc, on top of BIOS display....bizarre!

Agreed. Defective memory can do all sorts of weird things, sometimes the problem can suggest it's something else entirely.
m
l
!