I3-330M to i7 plz help?????

kam_90

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hi everyone, hope you are fine. I am stuck with the tech info here. I am looking to upgrade my laptop from i3-330M to i7 series but not sure if they are compatible. Below are the details:-

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
DirectX DirectX 11.0
Computer Name KAMRAN-TOSH
User Name Kamran
Logon Domain Kamran-TOSH
Date / Time 2011-04-01 / 18:34

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Core i3 330M, 2133 MHz (16 x 133)
Motherboard Name Toshiba Satellite A500
Motherboard Chipset Intel Ibex Peak-M HM55, Intel Ironlake-M
System Memory 3957 MB (DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Samsung M471B5673FH0-CF8 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 457 MHz)
DIMM3: Samsung M471B5673FH0-CF8 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 457 MHz)
BIOS Type Award (11/18/10)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (1024 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (1024 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Monitor Samsung 160AT06-T01 [16" LCD]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter nVIDIA HDMI @ nVIDIA GT216 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC272 @ Intel Ibex Peak PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B-2]

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor TOSHIBA
DMI BIOS Version 2.00
DMI System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
DMI System Product Satellite A500
DMI System Version PSAR9E-01700KEN
DMI System Serial Number 2A613828K
DMI System UUID 1C7062E0-181211DF-A864705A-B679A371
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer TOSHIBA
DMI Motherboard Product NSKAA
DMI Motherboard Version 1.00
DMI Motherboard Serial Number 123456789AB
DMI Chassis Manufacturer TOSHIBA
DMI Chassis Version N/A
DMI Chassis Serial Number None
DMI Chassis Asset Tag *
DMI Chassis Type LapTop
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 2 / 0

BIOS Properties:
BIOS Type Award
BIOS Version ÀPPPP‹ì¾(
Award BIOS Type ù ° îÃPSQVWU üûè{
Award BIOS Message ÀPPPP‹ì¾(
System BIOS Date 11/18/10
Video BIOS Date 11/19/09

BIOS Manufacturer:
Company Name Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Product Information http://www.phoenix.com/pages/products
BIOS Upgrades http://esupport.com/link/4fc55250

-----------------------------------------END-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As there are different versions if i7 series. Can you please tell me which one are compatible with my system thanks a bunch.
Cheers!!!!

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Seeing that this is a laptop, it is considered impossible to upgrade a laptop other than the RAM and hard disk.

Usually because access to the CPU is impossible without large amounts of dis-assembly, mobile CPU sockets are fairly bespoke and thermal limits of laptops are only ever designed for what they are built to contain.

The only way to upgrade a laptop is to buy a new model.

kam_90

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
thanks you your reply, Considering i will not be doing the upgrade process but instead i've purchased extended service plan with the product and they will upgrade the laptop for me and i have to pay for new parts that get installed. In that case i'm after to decide which one is most compatible to choose. Hope it makes sence!!!
Thanks

festerovic

Distinguished
They are not going to upgrade the CPU even if you buy a chip (which will not fit, since you a core 2 duo and want a i7). ^ is right, there are no CPU upgrades for laptops - you buy a new one.

edit: whoops, I thought I read C2D, but its an i3

kam_90

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
No it got i3-330m with PGA988 and HM55 chipset, which seens to be compatible with most models of i7 but i was not sure.

DIY_often

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Be logical !!

(1) the capability to disassemble a delicate consumer electronics product like a laptop or cellphone and re-assemble everything back to working state actually depends on personal experience/training and courage/curiosity, and often is very doable. Processor upgrade should mostly involve screw driver work. (meaning: remember locations and sizes of tiny screws)

(2) Computer companies designed the consumer models to be fitted with different CPU, depends on the market SKU (meaning: different spec for different retailers and different price points). See those similar, and often hard-to-differentiate models offered by different outlets in the same time frame?

The fact that customers can often pick and choose CPU upgrades on dell.com or HP.com against same model design proves this point. (Think how our orders are filled in the overseas factory.)

(3) eBay has many sellers of mobile processors, providing further proof that there is a market to fill the DIY processor upgrade needs.

(4) study Intel or AMD website info and figure out which processor family with same socket type, and figure out what other laptop models in same brand series are "out there" can give us clearer idea on what upgrade path is feasible, and very likely achievable. (Note: those not with "embedded" option means there will be a socket fitting them, instead of CPU solder on circuit board and not separable.)

(5) in most cases, heat dissipation on a laptop depends on how fast the fan inside needs to spin, when needed. Since brand models, desktop or laptop alike, won't allow any CPU overclocking to avoid customer service nightmare, and many different mobile processors series numbers from the same processor family actually share the same TDP (max temperature safe limit) -- meaning we actually don't have to worry too much about the heat issue after same-series CPU upgrade. Laptop firmware (the BIOS) often can detect same processor family released at the same time (meaning: check release date) and provide exact voltage they needs. Brand laptop sometimes update BIOS for customer download to fix issues, but it's rare and we can't expect new BIOS to cover newer processor as desktop DIY motherboards often do.

Laptop brands do not expect end users to upgrade processors by themselves. Do not attempt to seek help on this topic from customer support.

(6) Battery life after same processor series upgrade may be very much alike after the upgrade. For example, the fans come with desktop processors are now smaller for each newer and faster generations. It's amazing on how little voltage these latest generation processors require to run with, and how little operational heat they generate.

(6) And of course, necessary tool set needs to be readily available BEFORE any part replacement effort. Still, we need to remain cautious on *not* touching the chip contacts (in gold) to avoid static damages to the chip. For starters, hold the edge and not the gold contacts. And be very careful on prying the mobile processor out of its socket. After the heat duct assembly is separated from the processor, slowly apply even force on each angle before the processor pops out from the socket. Patience and skill is key.

(7) New processor will need to apply adequate heat-conducting paste on top before heat duct assembly is put back. The heat paste and cleaner solution can be the same for desktop processor assembly. (consult local electronics store clerk)

(8) Processor labels next to laptop keyboard will not match after the mobile processor upgrade. (unlikely to find Intel or AMD processor label sellers on market.) But that's a different issue to worry when the laptop is ready to sell to next owner.

Good luck on the endeavors for those willing to invest, try and learn !!

kam_90

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Thank you everyone for your help in this topic, its been great.
I did purchase the the new i7-840QM and 8GB memory from ebay.
Installed them both myself, it was not very hard to do so, fairly straight forward but you need to have experience to do so or you could end up damaging the product. I have done same sort of thing with my laptops in the past so, i was quict confident.

After the installation of the processor and the memory laptop's first boot took very long about 20min to load the windows but it did install some drivers. On the second boot the computer was ready to use. It took very less time. So, far i know that i7-840QM and 8GB memory slots were supported and working.

Afterwards I installed and ran Temp monitoring software called "AIDA64" and it did not report and conflicts at all. I then ran CPU thorottling on 100% for about 30mins and my temps were stable at around 70deg C at maxx turbo boost. So far so good.

Because this laptop also has a descrete graphics card GT330M 1024MB, so i did another test in a game play. Games i recorded the results in are Crysis 2 and GTA IV. My maxx temps for Graphics card and the CPU were 85deg C maxx, around 80deg C overall. This was done in summer time and enviroment was hot too.

The laptop survived all the tests and its been working perfectly fine since then, its been about 8months.

There are two problems i have faced.
1) I can no longer change the display brightness while in Windows OS. I have to go to BIOS menu and use the hot keys to adjust, this dosen't matter as i never change it anyway.
2) I have reduced battery life, from 3hrs to 1.5hours on regular use and about 1hour on gaming use.

Overall i am very happy with the upgrade and i believe it was worth it. Programs like Power Director are now run much better and smooth and it can now play almost every new game that gets released. Its a laptop so its not a proper gaming PC but i does what i want so im happy :)

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brainiarc7

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Hey kam_90,

I'm about to upgrade my Acer Travelmate 5740G, currently armed with an Intel Core i3 370M CPU and a discrete AMD Radeon HD 5650.
The motherboard is a replacement board, SKU part Calpella_CRB as listed in its' DMI strings under AIDA64. I upgraded it so as to have the discrete GPU instead of the crappy Intel HD Graphics.
This laptop has no support for switchable graphics, and uses the discrete GPU only. Under AIDA64, the Intel HD Graphics appears under the IGP section and is marked as 'Disabled'.
The motherboard also has the same chipset and processor as yours (Intel HM 55 Ibex Peak, Intel IronLake M, rPGA988A Processor socket).
Concerning your upgrade:

1. Did your laptop support Switchable Graphics function ?
2. Is this upgrade likely to be successful, just like yours?

Thanks and regards,

Brainiarc7