Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Are these specs good for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 1, 2011 5:50:48 PM

Hi, this is my first post on this forum so I hope I put this in the right section, the other sections didnt really seem correct for the topic though ( also this has the most posts so I have the highest chance of getting an answer).

Anyway
Basically I want to get my first gaming computer and I am planning to get it from pcspecialist, a trustworthy sight. I created what I think is a powerful system for gaming, however since not knowing much about what is important and such I wanted to check if these specs are good.
I want the pc to be able to play new games at highest/high settings with a decent fps. As this is my first gaming pc im also buying a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

So please tell me if any of it is totally unnecessary(Cause I would love to cut the price of this a little) or if I should improve anything.

The Specs:

Case: PCS MAELSTROM T900 black gaming case,
Processor: Intel core i7 quad core processor i7-960(3.20ghz) 4.8Gts/8mb cache
Motherboard: ASUS P6x58d Premium
Memory: 6gb samsung tri-ddr3 1333Mhz (3x2gb)
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce Gtx560 Ti
HardDrive: 1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16mb Cache(7200 Rpm)
Power Supply: 800W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad rail PSU +120 mm case fan (£79)
Processor Cooling: SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER(£19)
Sound card: Sound blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audo(£32)
OS:Windows 7 home premium(£79)
Monitor: Illyama E2271HDS 22" LED Widescreen(£139)
Cable: HDMI Gold plated? cable(£8)
Keyboard: Logitech internet 350 USB Keyboard(£9)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Laser Gaming mouse(£42)
Logitech PC Headset 960 USB Digital Stereo with in-line volume control(£17)
6 Socket Compact2M UFO Surge Protector(£9)
A mousemat?

Thats about it. Sorry about the random capitals, that is what it said. And yeah I couldnt say the prices for the core components, but that is because it was not said, and I didnt have the time to do the math.

OVERALL PRICE=£1349

And some other random notes, I mainly want the soundcard to raise fps, so if you can find a better one for that say. Also I could go for a 650W power supply but the Corsair 650W power supply that is shown is only a pound cheaper and does not sound like it has better features than the 800W.
If there is anymore information you would like to know please say, I will respond. :) 

More about : specs good gaming

a c 117 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 1, 2011 6:09:42 PM

More GPU power, less other 'stuff'
April 1, 2011 6:11:26 PM

What would raise my GPU?
And what should I cut from the other stuff, remember this is my first gaming pc and I kind of need most of it
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 1, 2011 6:24:13 PM

I see your monitor is a 1920x1080 resolution, so try to stretch your cash and buy a gtx570. You could scrap your Xfi sound card to help out with the extra cash, as the on board sound on most decent motherboards like your is plenty good enough for games and music.

Especially as your motherboard has all these decent sound features

Audio Features

DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC delivers exceptional 5.1 surround experience through the most common PC audio setups - your existing stereo speakers or headphones. In addition to virtual surround, “Bass enhancement” provides stronger low frequency bass sound, and “Voice clarification” provides clear human dialogue even with loud background sound. With these technologies, you may experience a better home-theater audio with ease.

Noise Filter
Eliminate background noise while recording. This feature detects repetitive and stationary noises like computer fans, air conditioners, and other background noises then eliminates it in the incoming audio stream while recording.

S/PDIF-out on Back I/O Port
This motherboard provides convenient connectivity to external home theater audio systems via coaxial and optical S/PDIF-out (SONY-PHILIPS Digital Interface) jacks. It allows to transfer digital audio without converting to analog format and keeps the best signal quality.
April 1, 2011 6:29:21 PM

why dont you just go for 2500k and spend an extra cash on better gfx ?... x58 is EOL alrdy...

and x-fi xtreme audio just a rebranding of audigy 2 value which actually has same dsp as x-fi xtreme audio (no hardware-accelerated audio)... better buy xonar dg or ds if you could...
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 1, 2011 6:32:03 PM

Ps i went on your website to, and this would be by far the better gaming rig. For a cheaper price of

£1060.00 ex VAT.
£1272 inc VAT and Delivery.


Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI,mHDMI - DX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Free Item
Free Item
FREE Need For Speed™ World Starter Pack with any Nvidia® GTS450 or above!

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£49)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Monitor
IIYAMA E2473HDS 24" LED WIDESCREEN, 2 x HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920x1080 (£169)

Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech® Internet 350 USB Keyboard (£9)

Mouse
Logitech® MX™518 Optical Gaming Mouse (£28)
April 1, 2011 6:35:05 PM

unreal104 said:
why dont you just go for 2500k and spend an extra cash on better gfx ?... x58 is EOL alrdy...



I couldnt do 2500 :( 
I dont really know what EOL is either and by x58 do you mean gtx580?
April 1, 2011 6:36:40 PM

why you couldnt do 2500k ?

EOL = End of life, x58 is motherboard chipset... not gtx580
April 1, 2011 6:37:54 PM

Uther39 said:
Ps i went on your website to, and this would be by far the better gaming rig. For a cheaper price of

£1060.00 ex VAT.
£1272 inc VAT and Delivery.


Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI,mHDMI - DX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Free Item
Free Item
FREE Need For Speed™ World Starter Pack with any Nvidia® GTS450 or above!

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£49)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Monitor
IIYAMA E2473HDS 24" LED WIDESCREEN, 2 x HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920x1080 (£169)

Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech® Internet 350 USB Keyboard (£9)

Mouse
Logitech® MX™518 Optical Gaming Mouse (£28)


Wow, that really amazing you helped that much, the lower price of this will help alot.
Thanks
April 1, 2011 6:37:58 PM

i mean 1366 socket is end of life to be more extact
April 1, 2011 7:13:16 PM

patricknlondon said:
I couldnt do 2500 :( 
I dont really know what EOL is either and by x58 do you mean gtx580?


Uhmm...you're not thinking that 2500 is a price, are you?

The 2500k is a model from Intel's new Sandy Bridge processor line. You should use it instead of the i7-9xx that you originally started out with.
April 1, 2011 7:30:57 PM

phendric said:
Uhmm...you're not thinking that 2500 is a price, are you?

The 2500k is a model from Intel's new Sandy Bridge processor line. You should use it instead of the i7-9xx that you originally started out with.

Wow. I failed really bad, shows how much I know about these things.
!