bluerambo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hey guys. I just built a new computer and have some questions about noise. There is the obvious fan noise but there is also a mid/high pitch whine. I think it is the hard drive. The whine get momentarily louder when i click on something or scroll. The hard drive is a WD caviar blue 320gb. The noise is noticeable and annoying. Any input is helpful, thank you.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Whine can often be heard from hard drives and there is often little that can be done other than to bite the bullet and buy a new harddrive. The best you can do is check to make sure thre case is sitting level, that the drive is pushed all the way into it's slot and tighten any screws that are holding it in place so it does not move in it's enclosure area. Beyond that ther eis not much you cna really do.

bluerambo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

is this a problem or will the drive function just fine

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I have a particularly odd hard drive that has whined for like 7 years and it runs just fine... it all depends on the type of hard drive. This particular drive (7200 rpm cheapo that came with my old hp) has out lasted 3 replacements and an external seagate that was defective. I would plan for a failure in the next 6 months to a year or rma the drive if it is still under warranty and see if the new drive makes noise. If not you're set, if it does you know it's just the drive.

walterbyrd_59

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
It might not be the drive itself, but the way it is fastened. The drive itself may vibrating. If you can do so safely: try holding the sides of the drive while it is running. I have having the same problem with a DVD drive.