Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I'm looking to upgrade my PC. What should i do first?

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2011 3:41:14 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my PC. I was thinking of getting SSD. Although I know you can use a SSD for OEM, pictures, music...etc. But what is it best use for a SSD?

I also have seen information on the Sandy bridge CPU's and motherboards! Should I wait to upgrade with Sandy Bridge?

I have about $500 to $1000 to spend. What should I do first?

Here is what I am running now!

Vista 64bit Home
i7 920 2.67
Asus P6T (not the deluxe model)
Corsair XMS3 6gb DDR3 Memory
Samsung 1tb Sata & 300gb Sata
Memorex 16x-ddl-in scsi CDrom
Corsair 850tx power supply
Haf 932 tower
EVGA GTX570 1028mb GDDR5
BENQ XL2410T 24" LED 3D monitor

Thanks for your help!

S1lent

More about : upgrade

January 7, 2011 3:49:22 PM

Also, I mainly play games...COD BL OPS, BF Bad CO 2...etc

Best solution

January 7, 2011 3:54:04 PM

hold up and wait for sandy to mature...your system is still near the edge of the technology spectrum

no need to fix what isn't broken

after the next line of intel/amd comes out...then maybe look at upgrading...
Related resources
January 7, 2011 3:58:46 PM

snowgoer1998 said:
hold up and wait for sandy to mature...your system is still near the edge of the technology spectrum

no need to fix what isn't broken

after the next line of intel/amd comes out...then maybe look at upgrading...

That's what I thought! I am really curious about Sandy Bridge and it's capability's!

Thanks for your suggestions.

S1lent
January 7, 2011 5:03:48 PM

Your rig looks perfectly fine.. I don't see the need for a SSD in a gaming system anyway.. If you have not already tried overclocking, then get a good CPU cooler and take that 920 to upto 3.6 GHz (should be plenty easy).. You also night want to upgrade to windows 7..
January 7, 2011 6:01:34 PM

Emperus said:
Your rig looks perfectly fine.. I don't see the need for a SSD in a gaming system anyway.. If you have not already tried overclocking, then get a good CPU cooler and take that 920 to upto 3.6 GHz (should be plenty easy).. You also night want to upgrade to windows 7..

Emperus,

Can you suggest a good CPU cooler? What about the CoolIt ECO A.L.C--Liquid cooling?

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/en/products/cpu-...

Also, can suggest some sites that might be helpful when overclocking a CPU? I am a noob when it comes to overclocking.

Thanks,

S1lent
January 7, 2011 6:19:20 PM

Here's an overclocking article that might help you -

www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-...

If not (or alternatively), we've a whole overclock section in the forums.. Post a query there.. Lots of experienced folks are there willing to help.. As for the cooler part, am not so much experienced with liquid cooling setups.. However, it should be easy as those chips can easily reach upto 3.6 GHz on a decent air cooler itself..
January 13, 2011 11:35:42 PM

Best answer selected by s1lent.
!