Sign in with
Your question

Bad internet connection

Last response: in Networking
June 17, 2010 4:16:18 PM

Hello, I am using Comcast as my ISP. My internet connection will stop once or twice through out the day and the only way to fixed this problem is to turn off both cable modem and router for at least 5 minutes then turn it back on. Anything else I can do to prevent this from happening everyday? Please help!
June 17, 2010 8:01:00 PM

Have comcast check the signal level going into the modem. You may need a booster.
Try a different modem - swap out at comcast.
Try a different router.
June 18, 2010 12:46:22 AM

^ +1. That is what I did when my modem started resetting every 5 minutes or so. Comcast's tech support can tell you things like signal strength, how many times the modem has reset in a given period, etc. My modem was 10 yrs old and started resetting whenever too much data was pumped through it (as in several computers accessing the Internet at the same time). I'd guess the components had aged to the point where too much heat caused the microprocessor inside to fault and trigger the reset cycle.

I bought a Motorola surfboard modem yesterday and it has been working like a charm since then. Also, I'm getting 21mbps download speeds even thought my el-cheapo level of Comcast service is 6mbps :D .
Related resources
June 18, 2010 7:11:57 PM

Do I need to contact Comcast to update the MAC address on the new Cable modem? In any event, thanks for the suggestion and I will give that a try.
June 18, 2010 10:07:15 PM

robbieboy said:
Do I need to contact Comcast to update the MAC address on the new Cable modem? In any event, thanks for the suggestion and I will give that a try.

Yes you do. Comcast like just about all other ISPs use MAC filtering to keep out unauthorized devices. What I did was go to comcast.com on the old modem to get the 800 tech support number, then call them. They'll check out your current modem then tell you to install the new one after giving them the serial number and MAC address. They'll probably want to know the brand and model of your router as well. Takes about 5 minutes for them to update the authorized device database, then your modem should connect. Pretty painless procedure for me - maybe 10 minutes total on the phone.
June 18, 2010 10:10:42 PM

BTW, Comcast has a list of other approved cable modems on their website, in case you don't want the Motorola surfboard modem (which is one of the approved ones of course). I printed out the list and took it with me to Best Buy when I went shopping for the new modem.
June 21, 2010 4:23:29 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
BTW, Comcast has a list of other approved cable modems on their website, in case you don't want the Motorola surfboard modem (which is one of the approved ones of course). I printed out the list and took it with me to Best Buy when I went shopping for the new modem.

Dear Fazers_on_stu,

Thanks for all of your replies! I purchased a Motorola Surfboard Extreme Cable Modem Moden SB6120 and it should arrive today. Keep my fingers crossed this will finally fix the problem.
!