Single processor's

reccco

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Ok I have a new computer by emachines it is: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit: AMD Sempron 145 processor has 500gb harddrive and 2gd ddr3 Memory. To get to the point i play a online game, World of warcraftand my graphic's are terrible i updated my drivers and it is still bad the graphic card in it is by nvidia and it out of date i want to buy a graphic card to play W.O.W, so the question is will a new graphic card help the single processor? or even with a new graphic card will it still be terrible beacuse of the single processer? pls help...ty

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
You would have to upgrade just about everything in it if you wanted to increase performance. To put in a new graphics card, you might need a new motherboard, and your power supply might not be suitable either. A new CPU could also require a new motherboard. You should just save up and buy a good gaming system when you have the money. You could get a very decent system for ~$500 if you build it yourself. You could use the same ram, hard drive, dvd drive if you have one, and possibly windows.

reccco

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
ok but i have a laptop that plays w.o.w and runs smooth with no problems and it is a single processor so i'm wondering why the laptop plays it smooth but the destop want???

djsprinkle

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
There's a lot more to consider than just how many processors there are. The laptop could excel at other specs and probably displays at a lower resolution. WoW is ridiculously light on system requirements though so I'm surprised you're having a problem. Do you know what your desktop monitor's resolution is? Try turning it down to the same as the laptop and see what happens.