Computer turns on automatically when plugged in and beeps

timit007

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Well i just installed a new PSU to my Dell dimension B110 and the first time i started it up it worked just like normal so i turned it off. But then i accidently switched the 115V switch to 230V(While it was off) and it acted weird so i quickly pulled the plug and switched it back to 115V. I put the power plug back in and it started up automattically and started beeping. Im guessing the beeping is beep code for a problem it has but idk how to fix it. The CD drive and computer itself are on but you see nothing but black on the monitor and the keyboard and mouse dont respond to it. After thinking it was the power supply it switched it back to the old one and same exact problem. What do you suggest to get my computer working again! D: :sweat:

Solution
I'd try this:

Find the small, round battery on your motherboard. Pull it out for about five minutes, and reinsert it in the same way it was to begin with. That should reset your BIOS - if changing your voltage selection somehow made your BIOS storage do something screwy, it may have messed up some of your critical settings. Be careful, though, as you'll have to reset all of your options once you do this. "Auto" is probably the default, and will do the trick for mostly everything except the date and time in a Dell system, so it shouldn't really be that hard.

I disagree with a lot of the above posters: I've changed my input selection back and forth on one of my older PCs, and it never hurt it. I highly, highly doubt it caused any...

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
You should never change the voltage input switch, especially if it is plugged in.

This sounds like you have damaged a part of the computer.

If you can find the motherboard or computer manual that will have beep code tables that refer to what may be wrong.

timit007

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
The plug wasnt in when i switched it. i think my computer was too old for 230V and got fried though.

And i tried that and it was really complicated to figure out. Im still working on deciphring it.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Something potentially may be a bit screwy in the bios if you cut the power quickly during the boot process.

It shouldn't take very long to do so I'd recommend you reset the bios. Your manual should tell you how to do this for your motherboard.

"too old for 230V"

...it's an input selection. Some places have 220 or 230V power, but MOST places across north america use 115/120V. By flicking the switch, the internal circuitry thought it was getting twice the voltage so it would probably have adjusted an internal transformer, which caused everything to go out of whack.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I'd try this:

Find the small, round battery on your motherboard. Pull it out for about five minutes, and reinsert it in the same way it was to begin with. That should reset your BIOS - if changing your voltage selection somehow made your BIOS storage do something screwy, it may have messed up some of your critical settings. Be careful, though, as you'll have to reset all of your options once you do this. "Auto" is probably the default, and will do the trick for mostly everything except the date and time in a Dell system, so it shouldn't really be that hard.

I disagree with a lot of the above posters: I've changed my input selection back and forth on one of my older PCs, and it never hurt it. I highly, highly doubt it caused any serious damage, especially if it was turned off. Something probably just got messed up somewhere...

Solution

timit007

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

I did what you said and also installed new ram and the problems were fixed. thanks!