Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Amd phenom x4 805

Last response: in CPUs
April 1, 2011 9:19:14 PM

Hello, I am trying to overclock my CPU my motherboard is a Gateway RS780. I tried amd overdrive but it only lets me overclock the GPU as for the CPU it doesn't let me go higher than 12.5 on the multiplier. Is there a way to unlock the the Multiplier. I can't do anything from my bios. Help please! all i hear is how easy amd's are to overclock but i'm going nuts

More about : amd phenom 805

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 9:39:43 PM

I don't know much about the first gen Phenom's but i've been reading around and what i've come upon is that they aren't that great at O.C.ing and they don't have a unlocked multiplier like the Phenom ii's.So it's going to be very tricky to O.C.Your only going to be able to O.C. with the FSB.The only negative about O.C.ing the with the FSB is that you need to adjust the RAM timings because it alter everything.I find the RAM to be the trickest thing with the FSB O.C.

Have you tried using the Auto O.C. feature with AMD Overdrive?

Lz list oyur fullsystem specs.!!!(Mobo/CPU/PSU/RAM/Cooler/etc.)
a c 96 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
April 1, 2011 10:53:11 PM

The PhII 805 is a C2 stepping with 4mb L3 cache.

The BIOS of the Gateway RS780 is unlikely to allow over-clocking and is not organized for AMD OverDrive.

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news. That motherboard is a Foxconn 780g, and your only option if you wish to over-clock is to replace it with a retail motherboard of similar chip set -- not a realistic option unless you are will to engage in a little sleight-of-hand, or completely reinstall your operating system.

Related resources

Best solution

April 2, 2011 10:31:33 AM

You could try one of the programs that allows you to overclock through Windows. (ClockGen, SetFSB and the like) I am not sure about support for newer chipsets and PLL's but for a project of mine it works great on a socket 478 Celeron D340.

These websites might be able to help you a bit:
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=150973

http://www.cpufsb.de/ (click PLL find in the menu on the left and check whether your PLL and chipset/southbridge are supported)

Your southbridge seems to be supported. (SB700)

Your PLL you really need to search for yourself.

Hope this helped. (your OC will be limited due to probably not being able to alter the Vcore)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2011 3:42:55 PM

^+1. You will need to use a software utility to overclock through the FSB. Your multiplier is locked as only the Black Edition CPUs have unlocked multipliers.
April 9, 2011 3:47:50 AM

thanks For the reply. It is a phenom II x4 805 I can only OC the IGP and side port of the GPU but it doesn't let me doing anything with CPU i can adjust the core multipliers going down but i can't move them higher. therefore although over clocking the gpu improves performances i'm still stucxk at the 2.5 Ghz i want to bring it up to 3.2
April 9, 2011 3:55:16 AM

Wisecracker said:
The PhII 805 is a C2 stepping with 4mb L3 cache.

The BIOS of the Gateway RS780 is unlikely to allow over-clocking and is not organized for AMD OverDrive.

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news. That motherboard is a Foxconn 780g, and your only option if you wish to over-clock is to replace it with a retail motherboard of similar chip set -- not a realistic option unless you are will to engage in a little sleight-of-hand, or completely reinstall your operating system.

thanks i care less about reinstalling the operating system. that bothers me little with everything backed up in the cloud these reinstalling is no problem. thank for bad news. Can i install a better processor on that motherboard with a AMD Phenom II X4 975 (HDZ975FBK4DGM) or a AMD Phenom II X4 975 (242172) I have no problem swapping out processors. eventually I'll do what everybody thats wants a kick azz computer should do. BUILD ONE from scratch!!!! LOL thanks again
April 9, 2011 3:59:47 AM

Best answer selected by SnatchBack.
April 9, 2011 5:59:15 AM

Does anybody know where i can purchase the key for SetFsb? thank you in advance
September 30, 2011 10:17:10 PM

snatchback said:
Hello, I am trying to overclock my CPU my motherboard is a Gateway RS780. I tried amd overdrive but it only lets me overclock the GPU as for the CPU it doesn't let me go higher than 12.5 on the multiplier. Is there a way to unlock the the Multiplier. I can't do anything from my bios. Help please! all i hear is how easy amd's are to overclock but i'm going nuts

I have the same processor but a different MOBO. I use the ASUS M3N78-VM it's been rock solid, but paifully slow. It has a GTX 9800 which help speed things up a litte. I use much faster CPU's at the office and MOBO which support DDR3 ram. After reading all of the posts reguarding the AMD 805 and the ASUS M3N78 MOBO I think I will leave this system alone and build a new one.

Civiledit
!