Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU+MB for 300-400$

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 7, 2011 6:38:21 PM

Hello.
I'm trying to gather new parts for my budget gaming PC. Month before this day, I got my eyes onto CPUCI5 2800/2.5GT/8M S1156 BX/I5-760 BX80605I5760 S LBRP IN + MB P55 S1156 ATX/P55-GD65 SLI MSI and started to gather money for it. Yesterday and today, I started to search net, for alternatives, mor... maybe a bit more price, but higher performance.
Now, I just saw Phenom II X6 1090T, which has 2 cores more, and 400 Hz more, than i5760, but price was just about 40$ more.
As I am more like computer user and basic repairman, I am quite uninformed about novelties and new stuff/technologies in PC components market, that is why, I am asking for a suggestions from you guys.
I saw, that there are tons of articles and posts in internet and here, in forum, but as I read in english quite slowly, I thought, maybe someone will give me suggestions, that are less confusing than articles and hundreds of comparison tables.
So... What would you suggest? i5760/750 or PII1090T/1100T system? I know, most of games dont use as much multi-cores, that is why, I am looking at higher frequency ratings (larger than 3 GHz)...
Just note, that I have worked on both, Intel and AMD, and I could not see a difference, so I dont care which one of brands to prefer, just I need cheper, long-living, better performance ending result, ah, and I'm not overclocker, I am bit afraid of that, and know that it can shorten CPU life...
But in other hand, 6 cores is much too many for games, as they are not using them. Maybe, there is some hi-end 2 or 4 cored processors, that could easely withstand todays games?
If you suggest me any CPU, then, maybe you can suggest couple of good motherboards for it to use, as I don't know, on what to look, when browsing thousands of MB's out there. I just need 4+ USB slots, SLI/Crossfire (no more than 2 slots, for future upgrading possibility), itegrated sound (that supports my 4+SUB system), itegrated ethernet (wireless would be good too, dont want to buy wireless PCI card for more 30$), SATA3 and maybe some firewire/e-sata connection, to connect to external data storage would be good. I dont like those small NB Fans, that die eventually after year or two, so passive cooling for NB would be great. And for now, I have only NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT card, so I want my new MB support that too (but I don't know anything that wouldn't allow any new MB support this card), but in future, I am planning to buy in distant future dual GTX460 768MB cards or something like those...
So, my budget is pretty tight, I have already bought new PSU Chieftec GPS-550A 550W and 1TB WD Green and BRIZA 6097-QS case. Oh, almost forgot... I am considering to use my current memory sticks, that are quite weak, but will do for starting this up. New MB should support some hi-speed memories :)  1300 or 1600, I dont know exactly, but that sounds pretty cool :D 
And another thing is that I need this to be sorted out as fast as possible, as I need new computer as soon as possible, as old one (AMD Athlon64 3200+ & Abit KN8 Ultra NF-CK804) died from some electrical failure...
Please, give a helping comment,
Thanks! :) 

More about : cpu 300 400

January 7, 2011 9:47:06 PM

Deele said:
Hello.
I'm trying to gather new parts for my budget gaming PC. Month before this day, I got my eyes onto CPUCI5 2800/2.5GT/8M S1156 BX/I5-760 BX80605I5760 S LBRP IN + MB P55 S1156 ATX/P55-GD65 SLI MSI and started to gather money for it. Yesterday and today, I started to search net, for alternatives, mor... maybe a bit more price, but higher performance.
Now, I just saw Phenom II X6 1090T, which has 2 cores more, and 400 Hz more, than i5760, but price was just about 40$ more.
As I am more like computer user and basic repairman, I am quite uninformed about novelties and new stuff/technologies in PC components market, that is why, I am asking for a suggestions from you guys.
I saw, that there are tons of articles and posts in internet and here, in forum, but as I read in english quite slowly, I thought, maybe someone will give me suggestions, that are less confusing than articles and hundreds of comparison tables.
So... What would you suggest? i5760/750 or PII1090T/1100T system? I know, most of games dont use as much multi-cores, that is why, I am looking at higher frequency ratings (larger than 3 GHz)...
Just note, that I have worked on both, Intel and AMD, and I could not see a difference, so I dont care which one of brands to prefer, just I need cheper, long-living, better performance ending result, ah, and I'm not overclocker, I am bit afraid of that, and know that it can shorten CPU life...
But in other hand, 6 cores is much too many for games, as they are not using them. Maybe, there is some hi-end 2 or 4 cored processors, that could easely withstand todays games?
If you suggest me any CPU, then, maybe you can suggest couple of good motherboards for it to use, as I don't know, on what to look, when browsing thousands of MB's out there. I just need 4+ USB slots, SLI/Crossfire (no more than 2 slots, for future upgrading possibility), itegrated sound (that supports my 4+SUB system), itegrated ethernet (wireless would be good too, dont want to buy wireless PCI card for more 30$), SATA3 and maybe some firewire/e-sata connection, to connect to external data storage would be good. I dont like those small NB Fans, that die eventually after year or two, so passive cooling for NB would be great. And for now, I have only NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT card, so I want my new MB support that too (but I don't know anything that wouldn't allow any new MB support this card), but in future, I am planning to buy in distant future dual GTX460 768MB cards or something like those...
So, my budget is pretty tight, I have already bought new PSU Chieftec GPS-550A 550W and 1TB WD Green and BRIZA 6097-QS case. Oh, almost forgot... I am considering to use my current memory sticks, that are quite weak, but will do for starting this up. New MB should support some hi-speed memories :)  1300 or 1600, I dont know exactly, but that sounds pretty cool :D 
And another thing is that I need this to be sorted out as fast as possible, as I need new computer as soon as possible, as old one (AMD Athlon64 3200+ & Abit KN8 Ultra NF-CK804) died from some electrical failure...
Please, give a helping comment,
Thanks! :) 


The hex core AMD CPUs are definitely not needed for general use and will be outperformed by similarly priced Intel CPUs in most uses. I suggest picking up a cheap i5 760 with the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (crossfire/SLI capable) or maybe a similarly priced newer Sandy Bridge CPU & Mobo.
January 7, 2011 10:06:58 PM

msi p67 gd65 and intel i5 2500k kicks ass
Related resources
January 8, 2011 8:51:40 AM

karma831 said:
The hex core AMD CPUs are definitely not needed for general use and will be outperformed by similarly priced Intel CPUs in most uses. I suggest picking up a cheap i5 760 with the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (crossfire/SLI capable) or maybe a similarly priced newer Sandy Bridge CPU & Mobo.

Asus P7P55D-E LX costs about 170$, that's ok. It has DDRIII 1333, SATA 3, USB 3, but it has no SLI/Crossfire support.
EDIT: Sorry, Asus P7P55D-E is quite different and it supports CrossFireX and costs about 180$.
"Cheap" i5 760 costs about 260$, which is ok too. The question is, maybe I need only 2 cores, but higher frequency, like Core i5-680 has (3.6 GHz)?

fandi said:
msi p67 gd65 and intel i5 2500k kicks ass

MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 LGA 1155 (2xPCX/DZW/GLAN/SATA3/USB3/RAID/DDR3/CROSSFIRE) alone costs about 300$
I can't find any i5 2500k in our country markets. In e-bay, Intel Core i5 2500K costs another 300$. I'm afraid, I have no such money.
Maybe, I should wait for couple weeks/months, for any new versions to come in market, as Sandy Bridge processors are currently unavilable at my country.
January 8, 2011 11:44:10 AM

Deele said:

"Cheap" i5 760 costs about 260$, which is ok too. The question is, maybe I need only 2 cores, but higher frequency, like Core i5-680 has (3.6 GHz)?


The i5 760 costs $200, and was on sale at Newegg for less than $180 yesterday (I think). As for the motherboard, I think karma831's suggestion works.
January 8, 2011 12:12:42 PM

I consider a quad cpu almost mandatory for today's new builds.....the i5/750 is a perfect place to start. (DO not be mislead by pure GHz and/or numbers of cores for X6 rigs, especially for gaming. The X4/X6 rigs are outframed by most nearly all i5/i7 rigs, and usualleven when at a clock deficit....)

X4 needs 3.4 Ghz just to almost keep up with an i5 at 3 Ghz...; the X6 rigs need 3.5 Ghz to keep up.
!