3D Vision, Monitor and Card questions

Nog20

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hi all,

I've been thinking about and researching this on and off for about a week now but would like to get some opinions of real people as opposed to just online reviews.
I currently work for myself as a 3d modeller, and editor (kind of), and do pretty much anything to do with video.

I am running an i7 920, with 12gb of RAM, on an Asus Rampage Extreme 2 mobo with a GTX 295 gpu with 2 24 inch LG monitors.

I am a gamer in my spare time and although I am trying to resist, I really want to get a 3D monitor and 3d vision kit just to try it out. I've always thought the 3d vision stuff was a bit gimmicky, but it's not bad from what I have read.

I'm also in a position where I need to upgrade the graphics card in my wifes pc.

So my questions are.

1. Does anyone have any first hand experience with 3d gaming, and do you think it's worth it even just for novelty sake?

2. I am looking at this as a monitor ASUS VG236H 23" Widescreen 3D LCD Monitor ( http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1087&products_id=15266 ) , does anyone have any experience with it, or do you recommend a different monitor? (prices are in Aus currency)

3. I want to run 3 monitors at 1920 x 1080 res on my workstation, 2 x 24 LG's on either side, and a new 3d monitor in the middle. I don't want to be able to span games accross all three, but just in Windows and After Effects. Am I better off getting a GTX 480 ( http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1066&products_id=14179 ) to replace my GTX 295, or should I stick with the 295 and drop the 8800gt in as a second card to run one of the 24 inch monitors off?

4. Can anyone see any problems with this set up that I might have?

5. Is there any new tech (GPU or Monitor) in the works that I should be holding off for?

6. What brand graphics card would be a sensible choice? In the past I have been a fan of Gigabyte or Asus, but the online supplier only has EVGA, Gainward, and Gigabyte. I am leaning towards the Gigabyte, but I'll happily shop elsewhere if someone can recommend something a little more rock solid.

I'd appreciate any feedback and I thank you all in advance.

Cheers,
JP

Nog20

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

Thanks for the response.
These are the sorts of things I am not really sure about. I was hoping I could run the 3D monitor as a primary display, and then 2 24's off another graphics card since I don't really care about spanning across these other displays. In my head it all seems pretty normal and logical, unfortunately manufacturers don't always think the same.
More to research.

Cheers,

They just have to have a common resolution, so different makes and models can be used and as they can all be connected via DVI it should be easier to set than Eyefinity as DP adapters are not mandatory.