Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer shuts down

Last response: in Components
April 1, 2011 11:27:39 PM

Hello, My computer boots up normal with diagnostic lights gggg. Somewhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, everything shuts off. The power light and activity light remain lit. On the back the diagnostic lights read yyyg. I hold the power button in for about 5 seconds to completely shut down the computer, wait about 10 seconds and then reboot. It then works for about 30 minutes to 4 hours. Sometimes the cable modem loses contact with the PC and i have to reboot to get internet working again. These problems started about a month ago and the computer is 6 years old. Never had any problems before this. It's a Dell Dimension 2400.

More about : computer shuts

Best solution

April 2, 2011 1:25:10 AM

You probably have a heat issue somewhere, or the power supply is overheating and shutting down. Hard to say which; I would add an extra case fan if possible. I use an ocz power supply with the largest fan available: 140mm; it's quiet and moves alot of air out the back. Your dell is pretty old so your power supply may have at least one proprietary connector for the motherboard. Check it out carefully if you order a new one. I don't recommend another 2400 board; it's too old; the capacitators may have a limited life span at that age; newer boards use solid caps.
April 10, 2011 3:36:43 AM

o1die said:
You probably have a heat issue somewhere, or the power supply is overheating and shutting down. Hard to say which; I would add an extra case fan if possible. I use an ocz power supply with the largest fan available: 140mm; it's quiet and moves alot of air out the back. Your dell is pretty old so your power supply may have at least one proprietary connector for the motherboard. Check it out carefully if you order a new one. I don't recommend another 2400 board; it's too old; the capacitators may have a limited life span at that age; newer boards use solid caps.

I opened the computer case for the first time since I bought it 5 years ago. It was full of dust and animal hair. Both fans are still working. I used compressed air and a vacuum cleaner. I know, you're supposed to do this at least once a year. After this I was still having the same problem. I took the modem back to the cable company and got a new one, no change, it was 5 years old also. The new modem reboots itself a lot in the afternoon, but works fine late at night. The computer seems to work better late at night also. It appears my mobile home park is having power problems. In the afternoon, all the air conditioners are kicking in at the same time and my voltage is between 90 and 95. Late at night the voltage is between 100 and 110. So I'm checking into getting an ac voltage stabilizer. The power company says the power issue is not their problem because the park owns all the wiring inside the park. They said the power is good until it gets inside the park. The park doesn't want to deal with the issue.
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2011 3:41:59 AM

adrian33773 said:
I opened the computer case for the first time since I bought it 5 years ago. It was full of dust and animal hair. Both fans are still working. I used compressed air and a vacuum cleaner. I know, you're supposed to do this at least once a year. After this I was still having the same problem. I took the modem back to the cable company and got a new one, no change, it was 5 years old also. The new modem reboots itself a lot in the afternoon, but works fine late at night. The computer seems to work better late at night also. It appears my mobile home park is having power problems. In the afternoon, all the air conditioners are kicking in at the same time and my voltage is between 90 and 95. Late at night the voltage is between 100 and 110. So I'm checking into getting an ac voltage stabilizer. The power company says the power issue is not their problem because the park owns all the wiring inside the park. They said the power is good until it gets inside the park. The park doesn't want to deal with the issue.

If you'd like to rule out a PSU issue/overheating PSU, just lightly thump the top of your computer. If it turns off then it's an overheating PSU. Simple right? It would make sense. I hope that dust cleaning fixed your issue though.
m
l
April 21, 2011 2:28:24 AM

Best answer selected by adrian33773.
m
l
!