Game Performance Slow Down After Ram Upgrade

fksoul

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Good Day guys

Recently I bought myself 2* 2GB DDR2 Ram for my PC, added on top of the 4GB I already have.

Now the problem comes after a few days when I noticed ALL my games dropped performance by at least 50%.

Example: Resident Evil5 used to run on DX10 mode, 1920*1080 with All settings maxed at 60FPS on AVG. Now when I run the bench mark again it only goes up to about 32 FPS max

I'm running Win 7 64bit Ultimate, driver is all up to date.

This happens even if I remove the new ram and stick with the old ones.

Here is my Spec:

Intel Q6600
ASUS Maximum Formula MB
4GB Corsair DDR2-800 RAM (2*2GB in Dual Channel)
XFX HD4890 1GB XXX Edition Gfx card

The ram I bought is 2*2GB Hynix DDR2-800 Ram

What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 sticks of ram have been known to slow down a computer. After you remove the new RAM, look in the BIOS and check to see what the command rate on the ram is. When you installed the new ram, it probably caused your motherboard to automatically got to a command rate of 2 instead of 1. but it won't reset to 1 after removal of your new ram. Also, it is not a good idea to mix ram from different vendors.

fksoul

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Command Rate..I'll see what I can do to change that. Actually this is what happened:

I bought 1 ram at first, installed it, the game runs perfectly (At that time I have 2+4GB = 6GB). Then I installed another one from the same brand. But after that it just slowed down big time.

fksoul

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

I did some tweaking with my command rate and timing settings, didn't help at all..