RMA'd everything, still freezing

pcarroll0813

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I've been struggling for the past 6 months or so to get a home built system working. I was getting constant BSODs, and over the course of attempting to troubleshoot I slowly but surely RMA'd virtually every component (HD, GPU, RAM (twice), MOBO, PSU). I finally got my last set of components back today, so I put everything back together and re-installed windows - still freezing and restarting. I've manually set my RAM timings to their default values. Is there anything else I can do? The errors in event viewer are saying something like "Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE" and a registry error. I can't actually C&P anything because the thing is so unstable.

Thanks,
Pat

Solution

Wow, I have like exactly the same custom build as you.

Same OS, same motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630 CPU, same GPU (same brand, even!), 1TB Hitachi SATA HDD, same PSU (but a 600W), and 4GB of Super Talent DDR3-1600 RAM. My PSU just died, blowing out my motherboard, but before that happened, my computer was running beautifully (had maybe 3 freezes over 11 months--flawless performance in my books).

...So your build has potential, at least! Here's my suggestion: save yourself...
Drop to a single stick of mem if necessary, reset BIOS to factory defaults...

Jump into your BIOS, and monitor PC health, and check cpu core temps, basically at idle in BIOS.....

Try hd in different SATA or PATA port, even different SATA or ribbon cable (guessing here, because you gave no info whatsoever)

We will need all the specs, including PSU in case you are trying to run a pair of GTX580s with a 300 watt PSU or something.... :)

WOuld indeed be helpful to know operating system (very old OS wil have issues with some of newest mainboards out of box), cpu, mainboard, hard drive, psu, gpu...

pcarroll0813

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Here's my system:

MOBO: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
RAM: 4gb G. Skill, 8-8-8-21 timings
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
GPU: Single Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB
HDD: 750GB Seagate (SATA)
Power Supply: OCZ 700W
Some random Sony CD drive

I've monitored temperatures and haven't seen any irregularities.
I'm going to try different SATA cables/dropping RAM sticks now...

pcarroll0813

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Ok, new development. Left computer on bios, screen went dark after about 5min. Now I'm getting on display and no beeps on startup. I've checked my connections... does this mean I have to RMA my videocard yet again?

remove the gpu, and see if it will at least power on, constantly beeping a code indicating it can not find a video adapter.....

I'd double check that the cpu's heat sink is secure, with good contact with cpu's heat plate, using a quality paste...

Drop to a single stick of mem, reset your mb's BIOS switch/jumper.....

I suppose it is possible you have 2 bad PSUs, and or 2 bad MBs, and/or plus a bad GPU, but, you will gain 10 yrs worth of troubleshooting experience getting this one resolved. (I'd use a different kybd/mouse too, maybe one is shorting the mainboard's power...just in case!)

I can sympathize with your frustration, I'd have likely RMA'd all of it and purchased a pre-built by now!

pcarroll0813

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Temperatures were very low before restart, 27C and 42C last time I checked (~30s before the screen went black). Given the fact that the computer previously survived a 24hr Prime95 small FFTs test and that the computer was slightly more stable before the most recent set of RMAs I think it's one of the new components. That said, the stability has been getting steadily worse over the past 6mos of troubleshooting, so maybe the CPU is slowly dying... Does that ever happen?

I'll let you guys know more tonight. Thanks for the responses! As a reward, I'll send you all a video of myself smashing the thing with a hammer when I finally give up.

pcarroll0813

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Tried playing around with RAM timings. Again, comp lasted about 5 minutes on BIOS screen before freezing, no temperature excursions. And, like last time, the computer to boot when I tried to restart it from this point. I then took out the gfx card and got 0 beeps...

I'm thinking this means bad mobo. Corroborating evidence: now that I think about it, I'm quite confident Asus did not send me a new mobo when I RMA'd the original one. This is because I'm running an OEM copy of windows but didn't need a new product code when I received my "new" mobo. Planning to RMA the mobo again, explaining my history so they are at least somewhat more likely to send me an actual new product. Sound like a plan? Or is there something else I could try?

pcarroll0813

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

I'm pretty sure it is, I ran my old desktop on it with no problems for a year or so, although I doubt it used more than 300W. Is there a way I can test this?

Hastibe

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Wow, I have like exactly the same custom build as you.

Same OS, same motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630 CPU, same GPU (same brand, even!), 1TB Hitachi SATA HDD, same PSU (but a 600W), and 4GB of Super Talent DDR3-1600 RAM. My PSU just died, blowing out my motherboard, but before that happened, my computer was running beautifully (had maybe 3 freezes over 11 months--flawless performance in my books).

...So your build has potential, at least! Here's my suggestion: save yourself the pain and take your build to a computer repair shop to have all the components tested independently from each other. It'll probably cost you between $50-80 with a guarantee that they will find what your hardware problem(s) is, if one or more of your components is at fault.

Solution

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hastibe,
I have a dell inspiron 570 mt with basically the same setup as you only a 300w psu, 6 gigs of generic dell ram, and just runnig the onboard gpu right now (I have a baby coming so I will replace the psu and video card here eventually, but it is hard to justify paying for parts when I ahve stuff to buy for the baby.)

pcarroll0813

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I suppose I'm going to try a computer shop first, because Asus is giving me a hard time with the RMA while doing nothing to convince me that the mobo isn't the problem. We've got some repair van called CROW (Computer Repair On Wheels) here in Philly which should be able to help. Again, I'll keep you guys updated.

davisflow

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Kill A Watt will let you know some of the details. You could also just buy a UPS battery backup deal and use that and see if the problem disappears.
"malmental" mentioned that this is not the problem, and he does appear to have more time spent on this forum, however, I doubt he can rule this out via a forum.
Anyhow, I do not disagree with the sentiment that the cause may be elsewhere as poor quality from your outlet is probably the least likely.