Motherboard and Memory set for overclocking.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Hey guys.

Here is what I've got.

Athlon II x4 640
Ultra LSP 650 watt Power Supply(38 amps on 12v+ rail)
GTS 450

Right now I'm running an old socket AM2 sli board by Gigabyte and 4 gb of ddr2 667.

I've been told that i5 is really the way to go, but right now, don't want to spend that much.

What I am thinking is I've heard that some of these Athlon II quads overclock well. I haven't done much overclocking, and wonder how much speed I could get out of it.

Keep in mind, I'm running on the old HT 1000 bus, so that could be slowing my chip down also.

Budget of $100 bucks, maybe flexible by 20-30 bucks. What is going to be the best combination for overclocking? I actually have not run sli on the current motherboard, if a board does not have sli or crossfire capability, I'm not going to be very dissapointed.

My main thing is I don't want to spend the cash to go i5, so I'm thinking new board, new ram, reuse current CPU, possibly get a nice cooler like a Hyper 212 or Hyper TX3 in the next couple months or so and squeeze what I can out my chip, and maybe start saving up for an FX Series 6 or 8 core for later.

Anyone?

G

i do not know much about amd, but you can go i5-2500k for around $400, processor costs $225, mother board costs between $125 and $180 and 4 gigs of DDR3 ram costs $45