Sign in with
Your question

Help me Choose Between These 3 Graphics Cards for a 300 watts PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 8, 2010 12:26:24 PM

Hello everyone !! i have a Dell inspiron 580 with Core i5-760 @ 2.8ghz, 4gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 7 home Premium ,a 21.5" Monitor and the 2 worst things : a 300 Wa310tts PSU and Nvidia Geforce 310 512mb DDR3.
so i want to change the graphics card to any of these 3 : (i) Nvidia GeForce 9500gt (ii)Ati Radeon 4650 (iii) Ati Radeon 5450. So can u tell me wich one of these will run on the 300 watts PSU and if i can overclock it (but not much) to play games like GTA IV and Mafia II
. AND PLEASE IF U CAN SUGGEST ME OTHER CARD ALSO FOR DA 300 WATTS PSU ! but dont tell me to change da psu (cuz in future i'll change it) . THNX TO ALL WHO REPLY !!!
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 12:41:26 PM

The 4650 is decent. Old middle-level card, but still better than integrated by far.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 12:42:07 PM

Yeah, that dude is right...
Your systems great but if you upgrade to a quality 550-Watt PSU you can play games such as GTA IV and Mafia II
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 12:48:37 PM

plznote said:
Yeah, that dude is right...
Your systems great but if you upgrade to a quality 550-Watt PSU you can play games such as GTA IV and Mafia II

Correction: If he upgrades to a better PSU and pays another $200 or so for a sweet graphics card, then he can play games like those on high.
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 1:35:52 PM

If you overclock the card, it will draw more power, making the system pretty unstable with a 300 watt PSU.

The issue is that if the PSU is rated at 300 watts max, you will get maybe 250 max out out of during use. 4650 is probably the best card you listed, but you'd be wasting the money on it if you plan on getting a new PSU and another video card later.

Just spend the $50 on a new PSU and get a better video card in the future.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 2:47:20 PM

Dell is conservative with their power supplies. I haven't checkup on them recently, but I believe they are still using FSP (Forton Source) as their OEM. If I had to guess, their PSU is probably about 25w understated.

Anywaste... The video card I recommend is the HD 5670 which consumes under 30w of power while gaming (not overclocked). Get the 512MB version, not the 1GB version since the HD 5670 is not powerful enough to take advantage of the extra 512MB.

=================================================

Below is a review that compares the Axle HD 5670 1GB to the competition including a HD 5670 512MB. It also had benchmarks of the Axle HD 5670 when it is highly overclocked which gives roughly a 30% increase in performance, but doubles the power consumption.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/axle-rad...

m
l
November 9, 2010 12:24:53 AM

see all wat u people said was good! but i'm a teen and my dad wont buy a 5670 he wudnt even buy anything more expensive than a 4670 and i might also get that ! and if i did replace my psu the chances are that he will not buy da 4670 cuz da price of 9500gt and 4650 are same where i live and like some of u aare saying 'to buy the psu first and then buy the graphics card later' then my options are : http://www.sethiainfotech.com/computer-hardware/power-s...

http://www.sethiainfotech.com/computer-hardware/power-s...
so SHUD i buy da psu first and then later save for a 4670 ??? or buy sumthing like 4650 nd the 500 watts psu . cuz both the gmes work nicely on the card and even 9500gt is gud cuz it can be overclocked more .... so wat is ur recommendation ???
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:17:47 AM

This the official Ati-AMD site it recommends minimum 400 watts PSU for 5450 i suggest you do a visit or you risking to buy something will not play to your system:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

With 300 watts PSU your choices are very limited search the site if they have something for your case.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:36:40 AM

Quote:
This the official Ati-AMD site it recommends minimum 400 watts PSU for 5450 i suggest you do a visit or you risking to buy something will not play to your system:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

With 300 watts PSU your choices are very limited search the site if they have something for your case.

A very generic recommendation since AMD does not know what else is potentially in your system. A low power dual core CPU will consume less power than a quad core CPU.

Also based on memory of power consumption tests, the HD 5450 consumes a max of 9w - 10w during gaming conditions. Not that is a card for gamers, but... not everyone needs or can afford a more powerful card.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:54:04 AM

jaguarskx said:
A very generic recommendation since AMD does not know what else is potentially in your system. A low power dual core CPU will consume less power than a quad core CPU.

Also based on memory of power consumption tests, the HD 5450 consumes a max of 9w - 10w during gaming conditions. Not that is a card for gamers, but... not everyone needs or can afford a more powerful card.

The final power consumption is more hardware configuration related assuming everything is running in stock speed if he Overclock there is a GREAT chance to break that limit and the results can be random freezes, reboots in some games, etc
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:57:19 AM

jaguarskx said:

jaguar, i will warn you right now. he has no understanding of how a power supply works. he believes you need a 650w PSU to run the GT240. enough said
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 5:13:54 AM

ct1615 said:
jaguar, i will warn you right now. he has no understanding of how a power supply works. he believes you need a 650w PSU to run the GT240. enough said

here is a 300 watts case having problems with GT240 you were saying to him to send his motherboard to be checked:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

This is another case of 300 watts having ramdom freezes with Gt210 and you are telling him to check his drivers:

finaly do your 'job' and let me BE.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 5:17:07 AM

Quote:
here is a 300 watts case having problems with GT240 you were saying to him to send his motherboard to be checked:

This sia another case of 300 watts having ramdom freezes with Gt240 and you are telling him to check his drivers:

finaly do your 'job' and let me BE.

the first thread you linked the poster selected me as best answer.

the second thread you linked, I told the poster to check his drivers because his issues occurred during web browsing sand not gaming.

both threads are completely off topic. im now reporting you to the mods.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 5:19:24 AM

ct1615 said:
the first thread you linked the poster selected me as best answer.

the second thread you linked, I told the poster to check his drivers because his issues occurred during web browsing sand not gaming.

both threads are completely off topic. im now reporting you to the mods.

The results is the same he FAILD to work a GT210 with a 300 watts psu what the F*** do you want for me ? say what you need to say and let me BE i ask alote ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 6:47:07 AM

I was in a very similar position recently, quite literally! I had a 300W PSU and was on these forums asking the kind and very knowledgeable members to recommend a decent GPU to match my system requirements! I had many of the answers you've had above, but I didn't want to listen to the most important one: PSU first, GPU next! Eventually I decided that they were wiser than me, bought myself a very good PSU and with it I waited a while before getting myself a GTS 450. Now if I'd been impatient I'd be stuck with half the graphics power and system stability than I have now! My advice is spend your cash (or dad's in this case) on a good PSU. Once that's installed, save up for a good GPU! You'll have so many more options available to you, and in addition a great card might come or special or something like that. Do chores around the place, earn some extra money on the side if you can, and make up the difference of what your dad's willing to pay! If you want it bad enough, you'll work for it!
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 7:01:19 AM

plastichairball said:
I was in a very similar position recently, quite literally! I had a 300W PSU and was on these forums asking the kind and very knowledgeable members to recommend a decent GPU to match my system requirements! I had many of the answers you've had above, but I didn't want to listen to the most important one: PSU first, GPU next! Eventually I decided that they were wiser than me, bought myself a very good PSU and with it I waited a while before getting myself a GTS 450. Now if I'd been impatient I'd be stuck with half the graphics power and system stability than I have now! My advice is spend your cash (or dad's in this case) on a good PSU. Once that's installed, save up for a good GPU! You'll have so many more options available to you, and in addition a great card might come or special or something like that. Do chores around the place, earn some extra money on the side if you can, and make up the difference of what your dad's willing to pay! If you want it bad enough, you'll work for it!

I totally agree i tried to save the Op in this thread from checking drivers, clean installs, trouble’s that can’t be solved in the end this is the BEST answer.
m
l
November 9, 2010 8:37:16 AM

Quote:
You are from India.Can you tell us your budget?

well my budget is IRS 4000 max and 670 is IRS 4100 but thats no prob ... i dont know if my dad will agree on buying a PSU wich costs (460 watts) :rs 2650 and 500 watts: rs 2850 and the cost of 9500gt and 4650 is rs 3300 both. hope that helps. and btw i live in chennai
m
l
November 9, 2010 8:45:56 AM

plastichairball said:

i'll try to do wat ur saying but it will take a long time but fortunately we r selling our old furniture so i might ask dad to use from that and also i found sumone to sell my GPU and PSU so i'll get some cash from that also !!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 8:50:17 AM

apo1397 said:
i'll try to do wat ur saying but it will take a long time but fortunately we r selling our old furniture so i might ask dad to use from that and also i found sumone to sell my GPU and PSU so i'll get some cash from that also !!

Believe me it's well worth it. Yesterday I maxed out Crysis, and it was very smooth indeed! I was so, so happy, and I could not have done it if I had been impulsive and not waited. I would have been stuck with a very inferior GPU, and if you have to wait 6 months even for a GPU that will give you pleasure for 2 + years then it's well worth it. Plus, the next time you want to upgrade you can take that stable PSU with you!
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 9:06:04 AM

I did post one GF240 and one GF210 that failed to work in 300w and in the end they forced to return the cards back.

In the bottom line if you don't want to be the next on the list with the same problem in the forum do what the 3rd case with 300w PSU suggested to you, go for a strong PSU only put the cards for later.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 10:25:08 AM

Indeed what the guys above say is true. How much power a card uses is important, but equally important is your system configuration and how much power THAT is going to draw. As stated above, a dual core system will use less power than a quad core. I've found this system power calculator, although not guaranteed as accurate, to be quite useful in getting a general idea of system power consumption: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

But further to that, the KIND and BRAND of PSU plays quite a large part. A quality 400W will beat a rubbish 500W into the ground. If you had a great or even good 300W power supply then there would be no problem running a GT 240, or a 5670. But you're much better off getting a good PSU that you can carry into future upgrades, and will open up your possibilities for which card you can buy! I can't stress this enough!
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 10:30:26 AM

Just to add my experience here. Number one. 300 watts is plenty of power for all the cards listed with a cpu like the I5 760. The biggest thing to look for is the total 12 volt amperage. A good power supply will be able to deliver a good portion of its total power to the 12 volt rail(s).

First i would check that power supply for that info. There are actually many users pushing far more hardware on Dell power supplies.

For those saying a GTS 210 should not work, must have been one loaded system or bad psu. That card maxes at 30.5w(Its right on the Nvidia website.

The 5450 Should be under 20 watts under most games(its on ATI's site)

They all recommend bigger power supplies since they do not know if the power supply has to power a loaded system. They also have to account for the high number of lower quality power supplies.

My final note on this topic would have to be my media center config(and yes, i game on it a lot.)

300 watt psu(264 watts or 22amps combined 12 volt rail)
SG05 case
Gigabyte H55N USB3
I5 750 - 2.6(3.2 turbo)
Seagate 1TB drive
ATI HD 5770 <--Yeah I think its almost tops the list of cards listed here on power consumption.

The full system is under 160 watts peak playing SC2. so yeah 300 watt power supplies(good ones) can run mid end cards/system.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 10:35:04 AM

nukemaster said:
Just to add my experience here. Number one. 300 watts is plenty of power for all the cards listed with a cpu like the I5 760. The biggest thing to look for is the total 12 volt amperage. A good power supply will be able to deliver a good portion of its total power to the 12 volt rail(s).

First i would check that power supply for that info. There are actually many users pushing far more hardware on Dell power supplies.

For those saying a GTS 210 should not work, must have been one loaded system or bad psu. That card maxes at 30.5w(Its right on the Nvidia website.

The 5450 Should be under 20 watts under most games(its on ATI's site)

They all recommend bigger power supplies since they do not know if the power supply has to power a loaded system. They also have to account for the high number of lower quality power supplies.

The full system is under 160 watts peak playing SC2. so yeah 300 watt power supplies(good ones) can run mid end cards/system.

Too right! I suppose the bottom line here is:

Stick with the 300W PSU and you can indeed run mid-range cards or lower without issue. But if you aspire to more, or see yourself in the future desiring an above-average card, then a better PSU is a fantastic investment.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 10:40:11 AM

plastichairball said:
I've found this system power calculator, although not guaranteed as accurate, to be quite useful in getting a general idea of system power consumption: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Won't get an idea of power consumption there. What you will get is a psu wattage reccomendation based on the combined max power of the components that are input.
If you want an idea of actual power consumption this calculator does a pretty good job
http://www.raptoxx.com/calculator.php
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 10:51:49 AM

delluser1 said:
Won't get an idea of power consumption there. What you will get is a psu wattage reccomendation based on the combined max power of the components that are input.
If you want an idea of actual power consumption this calculator does a pretty good job
http://www.raptoxx.com/calculator.php

Hmm, looks interesting but could do with updating. If you're looking to see what power consumption a GTS 450 draws then you're out of luck with that calculator! At least for now anyway...
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 10:56:27 AM

I have here a case with 580 watts having problems working HD5770 i manage to solve with a 2 molex to pci-e:

The job is done the boy is happy and this is the only thing that counts.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 11:44:27 AM

I solve one problem when you solve a problem then PM to see it all the other theories are pure BS.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 11:51:55 AM

Quote:
I solve one problem when you solve a problem then PM to see it all the other theories are pure BS.

Guys, none of this is really going to help the OP, is it? Let's all stay OT.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 12:01:58 PM

plastichairball said:
Guys, none of this is really going to help the OP, is it? Let's all stay OT.

Yes the persons that using the theories watts= volts * ambers finally may put the OP in a position I personally can’t solve.

I’ve seen nobody with 650 watts PSU and above to have that kind of problems and if the watts are enough even to an old motherboard or PSU I can do something with a 300 watts what to do?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 12:59:08 PM

Quote:
Yes the persons that using the theories watts= volts * ambers finally may put the OP in a position I personally can’t solve.

I’ve seen nobody with 650 watts PSU and above to have that kind of problems and if the watts are enough even to an old motherboard or PSU I can do something with a 300 watts what to do?

Hmm. Well that's still a little OTT, but I guess what we can establish solidly is that while the OP can purchase and run low power spec cards such as the GT 240 or 4650, he'd be way better off getting a sturdier PSU and waiting to purchase a more powerful graphics card. He can still get a GT 240 after getting a new PSU if he likes, but at least after getting a PSU you are open to options such as a 4770, 4850, gts 250 or gtx 260 which can be found for reasonable prices!
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 2:57:55 PM

Quote:
I have here a case with 580 watts having problems working HD5770 i manage to solve with a 2 molex to pci-e:

The job is done the boy is happy and this is the only thing that counts.

completely irrelevant to this discussion. the OP has neither that PSU, that video card, and the cards he mentioned draw no where near that power.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 3:03:25 PM

Quote:

malmental worked for DELL. I'll wager he knows a thing or two about the OP PSU and solving DELL problems. The bronze medal next to his name in this forum and the CPU & PSU forum would verify plenty of people agree with me.

m
l
November 9, 2010 3:18:18 PM

ok i agree that i shud buy a new PSU is 460 watts ok or 500 watts ... and if i buy that my dad wont be able to buy the 4670 and i might have 4650 or 9500gt so i think it shud run on 300 watts but not to take chances ...
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 3:31:29 PM

apo1397 said:
ok i agree that i shud buy a new PSU is 460 watts ok or 500 watts ... and if i buy that my dad wont be able to buy the 4670 and i might have 4650 or 9500gt so i think it shud run on 300 watts but not to take chances ...

these are total system power draws with the following PC
Core i7 Test System Specs
- Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition (Overclocked @ 3.70GHz)
- x3 2GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (CAS 9-9-9-24)
- Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58)

and here is single card load vs no card

your 300w PSU will be fine for those three cards.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 3:40:07 PM

You have an open case someone with 300 watts and can't play a GF240 use this theories in there will 'help' him alote to solve his case finaly he will return the card back as the previus case.

I'm done from there and from here.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 3:52:27 PM

Quote:
The results is the same he FAILD to work a GT210 with a 300 watts psu what the F*** do you want for me ?

I don't know if you're censoring yourself, or being blocked by the filter. But this is the same as swearing. Looking at some of your recent threads, I've seen it multiple times. It's not needed, so please refrain.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:13:23 PM

Quote:
You are the only one here who actually praises an O.E.M psu.

actually delluser, jaguar, and I "praise" DELL PSU also. praise is an incorrect word though. They are sufficient for certain tasks and do so better then most mass PC seller PSU. They are not OEM DELL units though, like most other PSU they are manufactured by a handful of OEM. No one is saying they are in the same category as Corsair, Enermax, Antec, etc., Simply they are what they are and they can perform up to their labeled watts which is more then some of the junk PSU out there can accomplish.

P.S. I think you need 100 BA for a silver medal....i'm not sure though
P.P.S. I ran a 125w athlon x2 6000, 2x HDD, sound card, wi-fi card, and a Nvidia 9800GT off a DELL 305w PSU. never had an issue.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:26:52 PM

ct1615 said:
P.S. I think you need 100 BA for a silver medal....i'm not sure though

Go to your rank page, where is lists each section. Hover your mouse over the bronze/silver/gold columns, and it'll tell you how many it takes. It varies from section to section.
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 8:39:50 PM

plastichairball said:
Too right! I suppose the bottom line here is:

Stick with the 300W PSU and you can indeed run mid-range cards or lower without issue. But if you aspire to more, or see yourself in the future desiring an above-average card, then a better PSU is a fantastic investment.

it sure is.

Even at that, my I7 @ 3.5 with 5870 and 5 hard drives and other non important specs peaks under normal loads at 302(i am prime+furmarks can hit it harder).

With at least 18% loss at those loads from the conversion from AC-DC + Voltage regulation, its still "only" taking under 250 from the power supply. I do NOT recommend a 300 watt power supply for that system. way to close, but a good 500 would be fine.
m
l
November 10, 2010 2:44:12 PM

ct1615 said:
these are total system power draws with the following PC
Core i7 Test System Specs
- Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition (Overclocked @ 3.70GHz)
- x3 2GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (CAS 9-9-9-24)
- Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58)

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/245/bench/Power.png

and here is single card load vs no card
http://media.bestofmicro.com/Y/P/226753/original/Power%20Draw.png

your 300w PSU will be fine for those three cards.

well i might do that and wat is the max temperature at wich it might run on a 300 watts PSU and after how many degrees whud i be careful ... and how to know wat temp is ur gpu at ???? and will it be safer to have a 4650 ????
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2010 3:15:26 PM

Wow this topic sure went all over the place. I'll post my +1 to malmental and the always reliable ct1615.
Here's a couple of links that i've found helpful on this topic. The first is a list of how much power GPUs consume, it's consistently updated and the numbers seem fairly accurate from various crosschecks i've done over the years, there are the occasional ???? though.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

The second link is from X-bit labs where Oleg Artamonov built a device to actually measure the power each component in a system uses and what the total power draw is, the hoped for follow up with overclocked systems hasn't been published yet...if it ever will.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/system-w...
m
l
!