Shuttle SX58J3 / H7 - what needs to be added?

johna_74

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I have a 7 year old Shuttle X I'm considering replacing. I've been looking at the SX58J3 or SX58H7 as a base to create a new system.

I know I need to add CPU, Memory, HDD, Graphics Card and OS. What I'm not sure about is whether these barebones systems include any or all of:

1) Optical Drive - J3 has an eject button...does it include the drive?

2) WiFi / 802.11 - both J3 and H7 refer to attachment points for antennas and the H7 has an LED for WiFi activity - is WiFi built-in or is a card needed?

3) Bluetooth - H7 has an LED for bluetooth activity - does that mean bluetooth support is built-in?

4) Card Readers - it looks like J3 has a slot for SD cards - can anyone confirm that? what about the H7?

Thanks for your help.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Often this will depend on where you are buying the systems and parts from. usually the website that is offering parts or a system will tell you what is coming with the package you are buying. My general rule of thumb is that when you are looking check several sites and assume with a abrebones that you will need to buy anything not listed including an operating system.