Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I5 2600k stock heatsink paste?

Last response: in CPUs
April 2, 2011 6:41:38 AM

Hi.

I just received my i5 2600k CPU from Newegg and am waiting on the rest of my new build to arrive next week. I'm just wondering about the stock heatsink and fan. Do I have to apply thermal paste or is it already on the stock heatsink?

a c 448 à CPUs
April 2, 2011 7:11:11 AM

The thermal paste is already on the bottom of the heatsink. They should be gray strips that will melt when the CPU heats up.
April 2, 2011 7:35:16 AM

jaguarskx said:
The thermal paste is already on the bottom of the heatsink. They should be gray strips that will melt when the CPU heats up.

thanks. I'll take a better look at it.
Related resources
April 2, 2011 3:51:40 PM

ok another question on this.

i to am waiting for my stuff for my build.

i bought a aftermarket cooler the coolmaster h212 plus, it also seems to have grey strips if i remember correctly.

assuming it does does that mean no other thermal compound it needed or would you all still suggest putting it on just to be safe?
April 2, 2011 3:57:21 PM

My Hyper 212+ did NOT come with thermal paste applied. It came with a tube of thermal paste that you must apply your self (don't forget to take the plastic sticker off of the contact area of the cooler). Its also easy to use too much. I used a bead in the center about the size of a BB and have had good success...
a c 203 à CPUs
April 2, 2011 3:59:01 PM

Hello rgs80074;

The CM Hyper 212+ will not have thermal compound pre-applied to the bottom of the heat sink.
It does come with a tube of thermal compound in the accessory pack that you'll apply to the CPU before mounting the cooler.
Thermal compound is that tube in the lower left.

April 2, 2011 4:04:11 PM

Chuck the stock fan remove the paste from the Hyper 212 and use at LEAST Arctic Silver, the "k" tells me you'll be overclocking protect your investment drop the 5-10 bucks on some decent thermal paste.
April 2, 2011 4:05:50 PM

Just as an side did you lap the i5 first?
April 2, 2011 5:30:29 PM

K you probably never used a fork until someone put one in your hand either. In the test case they saw an 18% improvement overall(in the link I put up. And I just lap'd a 999.99 cpu yest...I can pm you the clients name and number(I asked first). Dropped his temps by 2c. If you post in Overclocking(Do I lap a new processor that I will be overclocking) I dare say you'll be buried in responses)
April 2, 2011 5:35:31 PM

Daplinksta said:
K you probably never used a fork until someone put one in your hand either. In the test case they saw an 18% improvement overall(in the link I put up. And I just lap'd a 999.99 cpu yest...I can pm you the clients name and number(I asked first). Dropped his temps by 2c. If you post in Overclocking(Do I lap a new processor that I will be overclocking) I dare say you'll be buried in responses)

I don't overclock anyways. I just bought the "k" for the heck of it. No thanks, I'm not gonna be sanding down my cpu anytime soon.
April 2, 2011 5:42:00 PM

Okay if your not going to overclock a decent paste is still in order. Clean the top of the cpu and the base of the heatsink first (I use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball). Apply your paste(any quality paste will have detailed directions) and Install your HS. Happy Computing.
April 2, 2011 8:43:00 PM

Daplinksta said:
Okay if your not going to overclock a decent paste is still in order. Clean the top of the cpu and the base of the heatsink first (I use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball). Apply your paste(any quality paste will have detailed directions) and Install your HS. Happy Computing.

Wouldn't the paste that's already on the stock heat sink/fan already work? I mean, I ordered the Arctic Silver, but I thought the paste already on there would work. I WILL eventually be replacing the stock heatsink fan just for the heck of it I guess.
April 2, 2011 8:49:09 PM

It will work, however the temps will be higher. although if you are not overclocking theres no need to replace the stock cooler.
April 2, 2011 9:37:59 PM

fatsoferret said:
It will work, however the temps will be higher. although if you are not overclocking theres no need to replace the stock cooler.

Even if I'm not overclocking though, I still heard that changing to an aftermarket fan/heatsink could shave a few degrees. Is that true? On my Pentium D 2.66 Ghz If I recall correctly, when I put my Zalman Heatsink/fan on it dropped the temp some degrees.
April 2, 2011 9:40:21 PM

yes, it will possibly shave a few degs. however like i said, its not needed and will do nothing for your computers performance or lifespan as it will be very cool even under load with stock.
April 2, 2011 11:32:36 PM

fatsoferret said:
yes, it will possibly shave a few degs. however like i said, its not needed and will do nothing for your computers performance or lifespan as it will be very cool even under load with stock.

Should I scrape the stock adhesive off the stock heatsink/fan and apply the arctic silver I ordered?

Best solution

April 2, 2011 11:40:48 PM

you can, however like i said above it really wont do much for you, there will be no performance increases. just a few deg. cooler (instead of 40c you'll be at 38c), like everyone here said, unless your gonna OC, stock is all you need, no reason to go through the hassle of a after market cooler.
April 3, 2011 3:13:46 AM

fatsoferret said:
you can, however like i said above it really wont do much for you, there will be no performance increases. just a few deg. cooler (instead of 40c you'll be at 38c), like everyone here said, unless your gonna OC, stock is all you need, no reason to go through the hassle of a after market cooler.

thank you :) 
April 3, 2011 3:35:18 AM

np, make sure to choose a best post! :) 
April 3, 2011 8:50:41 AM

Best answer selected by keto6789.
April 3, 2011 3:04:34 PM

I've found that most people that say they aren't going to OC end up experimenting with it eventually. Especially since you bought the "k" version, I would go ahead and install an aftermarket cooler now while you are still putting everything together. You don't want to decide 2 months from now that you want to OC and have to tear it all down again to install a cooler....
April 3, 2011 3:27:12 PM

majin ssj eric said:
I've found that most people that say they aren't going to OC end up experimenting with it eventually. Especially since you bought the "k" version, I would go ahead and install an aftermarket cooler now while you are still putting everything together. You don't want to decide 2 months from now that you want to OC and have to tear it all down again to install a cooler....

You're probably right. However, I've already ordered the rest of my build and don't want to wait additional days for a fan/heatsink from the Egg. I'll just install the stock when my shipment arrives and then eventually maybe change it in the future if I decide to OC.
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 5:05:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!