Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No noticed improvement from upgrade to GTX 470

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 8, 2010 3:56:46 PM

Hello,

i have a homebuilt system:
core 2 duo e6750? (i think), it runs @ 2.66

4Gb (2x2gb) OCZ reaper @ 1066

1Tb western dig.
380Gb seagate

(used to) geforce 8800 gts 512 EVGA
(upgraded to) EVGA GTX 470

--

My concern is, i should have some drastic improvement in games i would think, but i have noticed literally no improvement with the upgrade, which is quite disappointing.

Could it be that one of my components if not more is limiting the capabilities of my video card??

I also have an older gigabyte motherboard (fyi)
November 8, 2010 4:02:33 PM

small mistake i noticed i wrote 1tb western, its a seagate, and the 380 is a western.. not really of concern.

Also i have tried to o.c. my cpu, i used to have it run at 3.0 and leave it 24/7, and it won't even clock up to 2.8 without errors now

i monitor all my components temps and usage from the desktop and it never seems that bad, my cpu does hit 90-100% usage a lot on both cores but i figured that is pretty normal.

maybe if it is not the cpu, it is the motherboard that could be bottlenecking?
m
0
l
a c 81 Î Nvidia
November 8, 2010 4:06:37 PM

What resolution and refresh rate do you play at? Also, how are you determaning your lack of performance increase? Is it based on visual performance, or is it based on benchmarks/fraps. What games are you comparing as well.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 8, 2010 4:06:48 PM

orangejulius said:
Hello,

i have a homebuilt system:
core 2 duo e6750? (i think), it runs @ 2.66

4Gb (2x2gb) OCZ reaper @ 1066

1Tb western dig.
380Gb seagate

(used to) geforce 8800 gts 512 EVGA
(upgraded to) EVGA GTX 470

--

My concern is, i should have some drastic improvement in games i would think, but i have noticed literally no improvement with the upgrade, which is quite disappointing.

Could it be that one of my components if not more is limiting the capabilities of my video card??

I also have an older gigabyte motherboard (fyi)



well, your CPU and old mob are the dead bottle for some game, you can't get big improvement in any low/med resolution. only way is upgrade your mob and CPU to at least i5. 8800 just match your CPU Core2 duo which is a fair slow CPU for game today. if you can OC your CPU, give it a try. but need crazy OC to get noticed improvement.
m
0
l
November 8, 2010 4:16:28 PM

yeah i mean i don't play any crazy games,
Just cause 2, and left 4 dead 2 are the main games i play a.t.m.

just before and after install i really didnt' see much improvement
however, the games did notice i installed new hardware and tried to up my settings but i had to lower them back down because of incredible jumping in the game, very laggy looking

i play all my games at i think 75hz refresh rate, 1280x1024 size
and i have to have l4d2 at medium/low graphics settings for some reason because it is so incredibly jumpy

i've thought maybe it is my connection but it was never a problem before.. and why would it matter what info is being sent/recieved if my graphic settings are on my computer only..
m
0
l
November 8, 2010 4:18:28 PM

so i guess you could say i base it on visual performance

i've tried benchmarking my computer before
and in terms of video card performance even with the 8800gts 512 i was doing fantastic

but the core 2 duo @ 2.66 has ALWAYS scored super low on benchmarks, always, and i don't know why that is
m
0
l
a c 81 Î Nvidia
November 8, 2010 4:23:13 PM

orangejulius said:
so i guess you could say i base it on visual performance

i've tried benchmarking my computer before
and in terms of video card performance even with the 8800gts 512 i was doing fantastic

but the core 2 duo @ 2.66 has ALWAYS scored super low on benchmarks, always, and i don't know why that is


The reason I asked those questions, is because if you had a refresh rate of 75hz and already had 75 FPS, no increase in power would increase the visual performance as the monitor only displays 75 images per second.

What type of PSU do you have? I weak PSU could hold you back.

Can you also post an image of GPU-Z. I'd like to see if the bus interface is correct. Somestimes poor seating can result in lower performance.
m
0
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
November 8, 2010 4:30:59 PM

orangejulius said:
small mistake i noticed i wrote 1tb western, its a seagate, and the 380 is a western.. not really of concern.

Also i have tried to o.c. my cpu, i used to have it run at 3.0 and leave it 24/7, and it won't even clock up to 2.8 without errors now

i monitor all my components temps and usage from the desktop and it never seems that bad, my cpu does hit 90-100% usage a lot on both cores but i figured that is pretty normal.

maybe if it is not the cpu, it is the motherboard that could be bottlenecking?

That would suggest that you've been running it too hot for too long and it may now be cooked, what heatsink have you been using?
m
0
l
November 8, 2010 10:06:30 PM

That gpu wont come alive until you get close to 1080p or so at low res you are more cpu bound.
m
0
l
November 8, 2010 10:18:20 PM

Replace that CPU it's the bottleneck especially in left for dead which is a CPU heavy game.
m
0
l
November 9, 2010 1:31:46 AM

Yeah, you should'nt have upgraded if you have a low resolution.
m
0
l
November 9, 2010 3:31:17 AM

http://i54.tinypic.com/qsjeo7.jpg

that's from the gpu-z program

i am using the arctic cooling freezer pro 7
with the arctic silver 5 heatsink compound

i have only applied the compound one time a couple years ago to the cpu, i don't know if that matters

my monitor is only a 19" and my max res is 1280 x 1024.



some of you say it's my cpu, others say it's because my monitor is too low a resolution?
i understand if l4d2 is cpu heavy that could be a problem, i know the cpu is older and not the quickest in clock speed.

if i do upgrade i was thinking around december/january possibly going to the core i7 1366, with a new motherboard to support it.. obviously going to be pricey.
m
0
l
November 9, 2010 4:02:11 AM

Its Your CPU, Gauranteed, No Need To Replace Your Board Just Get A Faster CPU (3GHz+) And Mabey Go Up To A Quad-Core, You Should See An Improvement.
m
0
l
November 10, 2010 2:44:56 AM

the only reason i've thought about doing both at once is it's only maybe 150 more
and it would be a much better processor, and a new board

or spend just 2-300 on a core 2 quad 3.0 but even so it would become old tech soon enough, might as well future proof right?
m
0
l
November 10, 2010 3:39:17 AM

Honestly, your E6750 will not bottleneck you enough to really make that huge of a difference, but it will bottleneck you.

Your main issue is your resolution, which is CPU bottlenecked. At your resolution, the difference between GPUs becomes very small because the GPU isn't utilized fully.

If you upgrade to a higher resolution, you would definitely notice a difference between the two.

Also, I agree with Monkey, in that it sounds like your CPU could be unstable. Please run 2-4 hours of small FFT and then 8-12 hours of Blend under Prime95 to check stability.

For reference, my E6750 didn't bottleneck my 8800 GTS 512mb SLI setup much, except for a few titles, and 2 8800 GTS 512mbs are kind of close to a GTX 470.
m
0
l
a c 81 Î Nvidia
November 11, 2010 5:08:52 PM

orangejulius said:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE276Q-27-Inch-Wide-16/dp/B0...

so would moving up to this 27" asus
from my 19" dell monitor

be the difference?


Just to be clear, moving to 1080p is the difference, not the actual size of the monitor.

When increasing the resolution, the GPU's have to work harder, and there for the better GPU will not lose as much performance as your older GPU will. The GTX 470 might not even lose performance with the increase of resolution in many games.

You won't gain performance from increasing your resolution, but you will see a bigger difference between your older and newer card.
m
0
l
Anonymous
November 11, 2010 6:12:36 PM

I had the same problem with HD5770 and i was in 3 Ghz OC my cpu to 3.30Ghz (i can’t get more 64nm Q6600) now it operates well and the OC to the card isn't need it anymore i mean i was getting +10 C to the card with all the settings to high i was getting the same results in the most benchmarks in high resolutions 1920x1200 and above I’ve seen +5Fps to +10fps and only in benchmarks....

The think is i have it in 1.0 pci-e slot and I’m getting the same results with the Toms Hardware Charts finally yes the CPU ghz is a really important factor more than you can imagine.

But can you get 3.30Ghz your cpu? A really good cpu cooler need it.
m
0
l
!