Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD3000 graphics and WEI DISAPPOINTMENT

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 2, 2011 8:01:29 AM

Have just installed an intel core i7 2600K processor on an Gigabyte GA h67A UD3 motherboard hoping for good graphics and power.
The results when running the WEI again show a drop in CPU and graphics ratings ,
cpu score with icore i7= 6.6 ; was getting 7.1 with Q6600 cpu
Graphics for Aero = 4.7 ; games & business use = 2.0 yes only 2.0 ; PREVIOUS gfx 8800GT = 6.8
Anyone got any clues as to why?

Other specs:
Ocz 60GB VERTEX 2
wWD 500 GB HDD
CORSAIR xm3 4GB
a c 97 à CPUs
April 2, 2011 8:59:46 AM

While the sandy bridge IGP is certainly an improvement over previous iterations of integrated graphics they still can't hold a candle to discrete graphics cards, even fairly old ones like the 8800GT. According to the Graphics Card hierarchy chart HD3000 IGP is in the same tier as the 6600GT, 8500GT and 9400GT, HD 4350, HD 5450, etc, much weaker than the 8800GT At best the HD 3000 might equal a fairly low end video card, don't expect high scores from it.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2011 9:02:25 AM

+1^
HD 3000 is faster than previous intel IGP cards but it's still a low-end card compared to even mid-range discrete GPUs
Related resources
April 2, 2011 9:02:47 AM

I guess so, it's just that I saw a post earlier on another site with a much higher score with much the same spec computer.
April 2, 2011 9:06:57 AM

Okay, I understand the graphics being poor somewhat but what about the low CPU score ( 6.6 ) compared to previous cpu ( 7.1)
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2011 9:10:14 AM

paxas said:
Okay, I understand the graphics being poor somewhat but what about the low CPU score ( 6.6 ) compared to previous cpu ( 7.1)
It's probably going by the CPUs idle speed.

These scores are meaningless anyway, if you don't like them complain to MS.
a c 97 à CPUs
April 2, 2011 9:14:36 AM

I believe WEI measures CPU scores by the simple formula of higher clock speed = higher score. That of course is not the whole story, even if the i7 has a technically slower clock, it will still work faster due to superior architecture, a sandy bridge i7 is certainly much faster than a Core 2 Quad. Honestly, you're better off ignoring the WEI scores, they tend not to indicate real world performance that well, due to the flawed nature of how it scores certain components.
April 2, 2011 9:18:05 AM

Crashman said:
It's probably going by the CPUs idle speed.



These scores are meaningless anyway, if you don't like them complain to MS.

Good point, although it would be more appropriate to complain to Intel about their H67 vs P67 fiasco
( have the graphics but not the performance and vice versa choice)
April 2, 2011 9:23:48 AM

Supernova1138 said:
I believe WEI measures CPU scores by the simple formula of higher clock speed = higher score. That of course is not the whole story, even if the i7 has a technically slower clock, it will still work faster due to superior architecture, a sandy bridge i7 is certainly much faster than a Core 2 Quad. Honestly, you're better off ignoring the WEI scores, they tend not to indicate real world performance that well, due to the flawed nature of how it scores certain components.



Yes, that is what I will do indeed - It's just that I hate to see my overall score of just " 2.0 " since it is the lowest one they rate it on.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2011 9:53:47 AM

If you want to boast about how fast your computer is, buy a Core i7 Extreme sticker and an outdated but with intense cooling GFX card. Then get someone else's really pro CPU-Z screenshot as your wallpaper.

I wonder if I could ever pull off selling a Core i7 labelled Sempron box *ponderment*
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2011 3:59:23 PM

Did you seriously expect your Sandybridge IGP to be faster, or even comparable to an 8800GT? Seriously?
April 2, 2011 4:07:51 PM

My cpu speed in WEI is 7.8 with my current OC. 6.6 seems low to me....
April 2, 2011 4:19:03 PM

6.6 on a sabertooth....you using freon?
April 2, 2011 8:28:32 PM

I'm leaving the 8800gt in the previous system , only moved the hdd & ssd over. Need this new system to run only design software and office apps, so don't need much 3d muscle.
Had hoped to get about a score of 4 for graphics and 7.5 for CPU, so no I didn't expect better score for graphics - but 2 is pretty poor,
a c 215 à CPUs
April 2, 2011 8:52:07 PM

The reason that the CPU score is lower is the WEI is NOT a legitimate benchmark, it gets updates and modifies the score scaling, if you run WEI today, and run it again on the exact same system in a few months after some new hardware releases, the score will be different as the high end had to get adjusted so that the new king of the hill is 7.9 which means that the older stuff has to go down in score. WEI is relative benchmarking, and only applicable when comparing system that all just had it run, you cannot compare the score of a system that hasnt run it in a year to a system that runs it today, they wont line up at all.
a c 479 à CPUs
April 2, 2011 9:03:51 PM

megamanx00 said:
Did you seriously expect your Sandybridge IGP to be faster, or even comparable to an 8800GT? Seriously?


Yeah, if Intel could massage the performance of a 8800GT into an IGP, then AMD and nVidia would be in serious trouble.
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2011 12:04:45 AM

The CPU WEI score is probably lower because the CPU and graphics cores are both enabled. I think we had this same discussion that last time someone with an H67 board posted their score.
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2011 1:26:47 AM

^+1
April 3, 2011 1:36:43 AM


I rest my case, thanks for all the good advice guys, you have shed some useful light on this matter
I will think upon it and leave it at that. Who knows maybe I have just installed things incorrectly, if so I won't tell
a soul.
April 4, 2011 1:17:19 AM

hunter315 said:
The reason that the CPU score is lower is the WEI is NOT a legitimate benchmark, it gets updates and modifies the score scaling, if you run WEI today, and run it again on the exact same system in a few months after some new hardware releases, the score will be different as the high end had to get adjusted so that the new king of the hill is 7.9 which means that the older stuff has to go down in score. WEI is relative benchmarking, and only applicable when comparing system that all just had it run, you cannot compare the score of a system that hasnt run it in a year to a system that runs it today, they wont line up at all.


Sorry to drag this topic out- my apologies, but ... actually I ran the test on the previous computer just last week , so that doesn't figure.
When I ran the wei test on another low spec computer ( amd athlon5000 ) the scores are much better than this new one.
Even my new DDR3 -1333 memory card in the new computer scores low - only 5.8
All I am concerned about is that I not configuired something properly. It doesn't change anything in the WEI if the bios is set to complete default settings of tweeked in some way for performance.
!