Xigmatek heat sink fan direction?

Tags:
  • Heat
  • Fan
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Anonymous
April 2, 2011 8:15:26 AM

I recently purchased a Xigmatek Gaia heat sink and was confused on the placement and direction of the fan. I currently have the fan below the heat sink but it is blowing air down onto the video card which I'm assuming is incorrect, should I turn the fan around to push air through? Or should the fan be placed on top of the heat sink, pulling air through and up and out the top of the case where I have an open fan slot? I've included the current placement in the image below.

Thanks

More about : xigmatek heat sink fan direction

April 2, 2011 10:14:15 AM

Surely the fan should be on the bottom and pushing air through?

At least that's what I've always heard, the fan should push air through either upwards or towards the back
m
l

Best solution

April 2, 2011 1:18:34 PM

The fan needs to be pushing air through the heatsink fans, as its always more efficient for a fan to blow than suck, so just rotate the fan so it blows air through the heat sink and out of your case , im asuming your case has a roof mounted fan vent.
Related resources
April 2, 2011 2:23:54 PM

Heatsink fans must always blow air out of the case.

Either 1) blowing air towards the rear of the case and out (the rear fan will help do this).
OR
2) blowing air upwards towards the top exhaust (on cases that have a top exhaust) and then out of the case (the top fan will help do this).

Never direct the heatsink hot air towards the video cards because video cards run hot and should not have hot air blowing on them.
m
l
Anonymous
April 3, 2011 6:45:00 PM

Thanks for all of the info everyone. I'll just rotate the fan so that it blows air through the heat sink and out the empty roof mounted fan vent
m
l
April 3, 2011 7:53:42 PM

Anonymous said:
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I'll just rotate the fan so that it blows air through the heat sink and out the empty roof mounted fan vent

Yes, this makes good sense!
m
l
Anonymous
April 13, 2011 1:02:11 PM

Best answer selected by kasper673.
m
l
!