Sign in with
Your question

Startcraft 2 new graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 8, 2010 5:21:03 PM

Hello,
I have a GF7050-M2 moterboard ( http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=31... ) I am useing the onboard grapics which is NVIDIA GeForce 7050. This makes sc2 really choppy even with lowest settings.

Could someone reccomend me some cheap grapics cards which will play starcraft 2 on minimun grapics settings smooth, thanks kevin.
November 9, 2010 10:27:10 AM

Thanks wiinnipp does anyone know any other grapics cards. Cause the problem i have is i dont play pc games normaly so i brought sc2 for 40quid then i was lagging so i payed 30quid for 2gig ram and now i have to pay extra for grapics cause its still choppy so its turning out to be a expensive game to play. I dont mind running it on lowest settings i just wanna know what is the bare minimun or closest which will run the game. thanks.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 10:39:06 AM

If you're looking for the bare minimum maybe consider some older generation cards? They might come in cheap second hand/refurbished. If you're not a high end user then a decent 3xxx series ATI card or 8xxx/9xxx series Nvidia card might do the job. I'm not from the US so can't recommend any stores or sites, but what do all the other forumites think?
November 9, 2010 2:22:38 PM

plastichairball said:
If you're looking for the bare minimum maybe consider some older generation cards? They might come in cheap second hand/refurbished. If you're not a high end user then a decent 3xxx series ATI card or 8xxx/9xxx series Nvidia card might do the job. I'm not from the US so can't recommend any stores or sites, but what do all the other forumites think?

Well im actualy looking for uk sites if you have any.
November 9, 2010 2:23:46 PM

i wouldnt go with the 3 seriies, i installed sc2 for my brother on his computer and he has ati 3xxx (not sure which one exactly) and the game had to run in the lowest settings and looked very cartoony. I'm gonna grab him a 5770 that should run it at max settings at even high resolutions he runs 1920x1080. not sure which resolution you run at but 5770 is a sweet card if you can afford it, it should also be able to run Diablo 3 when it comes out
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 2:31:22 PM

Great! In that case I get all my hardware off Ebay.co.uk, but I'm an experienced Ebayer and as such I'm able to do that. Another good UK site is http://www.novatech.co.uk

But if I were in your situation I'd look at the following cards on Ebay:
8600 GTS 512 Mb DDR3
9800 GT Green (I say this because I'm not sure about your power supply, but cards like these offer good performance with low power)
9600 GT Green if you can find one!
ATI 4650, 4670
and I'm not too sure about the 3xxx series ATI cards as they passed me by completely!

Anyway, that's what I'd do!
November 9, 2010 3:39:44 PM

what is your cpu processor? SC2 is heavily dependent on the CPU power, especially for large battles involving lots of AI computing
November 17, 2010 8:54:57 PM

mzc said:
what is your cpu processor? SC2 is heavily dependent on the CPU power, especially for large battles involving lots of AI computing

I have 3 gb ram and amd athlon 64 x 2 dual core processer 6000+ 3.00ghz

i was thinking about getting this one what do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=22...
November 17, 2010 9:31:16 PM

swifthit said:
I have 3 gb ram and amd athlon 64 x 2 dual core processer 6000+ 3.00ghz

i was thinking about getting this one what do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=22...

I would not suggest the R600 series (HD 2xxx/3xxx). Something like a 9800GT(nvidia) or 4770/4xxx(ati) series would run a lot smoother, or else you might run into the problem that you started with. A used version of these cards shouldn't run you much more than the hd 2400 you found on ebay
November 18, 2010 10:17:34 AM

mzc said:
I would not suggest the R600 series (HD 2xxx/3xxx). Something like a 9800GT(nvidia) or 4770/4xxx(ati) series would run a lot smoother, or else you might run into the problem that you started with. A used version of these cards shouldn't run you much more than the hd 2400 you found on ebay

so for about 20 gbp you dont think i could get a decent grapics card to run starcraft 2 on minimal settings? as i said im not really a pc gamer the only reason for this grapics card is to play starcraft 2 it wont have any other use's. I brought extra ram already its begginging to become a expensive game to play :p .
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 3:07:13 PM

just shed out the friggin 48$ , damn, don't just settle with playable framerates at minimun settings, that's just marginal.
November 18, 2010 3:45:26 PM

I would go with an nvidia card simply because you already have nvidia on your system already. You can royally screw your computer if you dont uninstall/install the different drivers right. I would kno x.x
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 10:52:34 PM

good deal and yes it will be compatible
November 24, 2010 12:22:35 PM

Alright thanks for the help guys
!