5.1 Speakers messing up

ska178

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I've been using surround sound on my machine without any problems. I moved my machine to a different location, went to put it back together and now under playback devices my speakers work through "Speakers C-Media PCI audio device" when it should work through "Speakers high definition audio device". Jack information shows up on the latter, surround sound works on the latter. All I can get through the C-Media PCI audio device is my front 3 speakers (on 5.1).

The high def audio device still shows up, but Windows is telling me it's unplugged.

ska178

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Intel Dual Core CPU
MSI mobo
C-media sound card
raedon 5770 gpu
8gb ddr2 ram
1tb hdd

I'm not using the intergrated sound through my mobo, so I don't think that's the problem

You may want to go into the bios (del on post) and make sure the onboard card is DISABLED. if it is not, you may have some interesting driver bugs.

This being said, you say it used to say HD audio? Most motherboard onboard cards(codec) are classified as HD Audio. That would explain why you see HD audio as unplugged.

Does the C-Media card have a driver panel to let you make sure it is in fact set to 5.1 sound? Have you run a sound test.

The sound test lets you send a sound to each speaker and is available in windows and from the sound card makers own software.

This step just makes sure that your speakers are in fact being send sound.

If you get NO rear(Black in cases) sound in the test, you should disconnect the front speakers and plug the rear speakers into the front(green in most cases) plug on the card and try the front speaker test to see if you get sound when the fronts play.

This is to rule out a speaker or speaker wiring issue. So in that config, you would actually have the rear speakers playing all front sounds, if they do then we have to look at driver/software issues.

Post back with your results.