poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz: 6 cores for $230
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard-fairly future proof mobo with support for AM3, along with USB 3.0 and crossfire ready
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666): low latency RAM=faster video renders. Should have restocked today.
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Seems to be a good, cheap case that's a favorite for most homebuilders
CD and DVD drive- cheap, and will be able to read CD's and DVD's.
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive-WD is supposed to be a great brand, and this was the same cost as an identical SeaGate drive.
Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 Hyper 212 Plus 775/1156/1366/AMD/AM2/AM3 Universal Direct Contact Heat-Pipe 120mm Fan CPU Cooler- not from newegg, but that's because its 4 bucks cheaper with free shipping on Amazon.
SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
LG W2252TQ-TF 22-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor (Refurbished)
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC-Overkill, but trusted brand, and leaves room for upgrades.

If a few people could double check that everything is compatible, and if I'd need any extra cords/cables, screws, grommets or anything else, I'd be really happy. This is my first build, and I don't want to end up with a MoBo that doesn't fit the case, or a hard drive that doesn't have a cable (because I know I've selected a bare drive, just not sure what I need)...

Grove

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
The links don't appear to work but I think the only thing you will need is a SATA Power and Data cable assuming the CD/DVD drive is OEM and not retail.
Kingwin has an all in one dirt cheap connector right here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226004
Also, I'll say the same thing I said in another post earlier today. You could spend $5 more to get the HAF 912 if you want to be able to put your cables behind your mobo tray so the inside looks much nicer and doesn't block the circulation in your case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

Looks like the motherboard only comes with one SATA cable so you will need at least one more. Sata power is plenty of on the PSU (8 total). If you are planning on gaming then stepping up to a HD5770 or HD6850 would be well worth the extra money.

poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
=O woops, i assumed these forums used BBcode...

so an extra SATA cable, and invest an extra 35 bucks in a HD5770 and a better case.

I matched up all the ATX stuff n such right, right?

Grove

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Nevermind about the cable. Looks like your motherboard comes with 2 data cables and your PSU will have the power cables.
Also, if you intend to game, then as rolli said, a 5770 or 6850 is a much better choice than the 5750.
The case isn't a necessity to get but I would recommend it. Maybe look at a fan or 2 as well to add onto the case. The HAF 912 comes with 1 in the front and rear but I like to keep one on the side to force cool air directly under my graphics card so the fan on the card can get more cool air inside.

poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I decided to go with a 5770 from powercolor because it was the only one that looked like it would actually fit crossfire correctly, so when I want to upgrade my graphics, I can spend another $165 instead of spending a $300 totally new card. I do like the case, and I think I'm going to get it. Glad to see that everything is compatible and I don't need to buy any extra cables.

Gaming I'll be doing will mainly be Nexuiz in ubuntu, Skyrim (new oblivion game coming out 11/11/11), some RTS games and other RPG's. Deciding factor on upgrading GPU was that I think Skyrim will have really beautiful graphics, and I want to experience those in high quality.

My build came out to $979 before shipping and taxes. Hopefully I can get my stuff shipped to a friend out of California, since I'm meeting up with him in early February, and I don't want to pay $97.90 in taxes

poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

13% of the reviews are 1 egg, adn only 62% are 5 eggs. Seems this MoBo is very unstable, and doesn't play well with G.Skill, which is the brand of RAM I've chosen... Looks like I'm off to find a new board, because 4x is bad, and unstable is bad :non: .

poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Is this good?

BIOSTAR TA890FXE AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Good reviews, and no USB 3.0 isn't a breaking point, since I only have 8 GB flash drives and an 8 GB iPod. It wouldn't take days to sync my iPod if I had to restore it with USB 2.0. I expect to need USB 3.0 in 3 years, but by then the price of USB 3.0 boards will have gone down, and there will be a USB 3.0 board with good reviews, 8x/8x or 16x/16x like this one, and be under $150.

EDIT: I would like to know what gives a system WiFi capabilities, because even though WiFi is a lot slower than a wired connection, I may need to use it at some point.

Grove

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
The link doesn't work but that's a pretty good mobo. It doesn't support DDR3 1600 unless you OC your RAM to that speed but that's only a minor issue in my opinion.
Something like this, this,or this will get you a wireless connection on your desktop.

poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

I'm just going to give up on the whole linking thing.... I'm using DDR3 1333, so the MoBo wouldn't need to be OC'ed, would it?

Old H-Ware Tech

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

For WiFi you need an adapter - either a card that plugs into a slot or a usb adapter. I really don't want to give advice on what to buy but I can certainly tell you at least one to avoid. That being the Netgear WG311v3, especially if you're running a 64 bit OS. Netgear didn't bother to write a driver for Win XP x64 and from what I've read they don't provide one for Win 7 64-Bit either.

You mentioned WiFi being slower than wired, this is true. However, you may want to consider what you'll be using the connection for. If you do a lot of data xfer on your local net the extra speed of a wired connection may benefit you. If you are mostly using the internet a WiFi home network is likely to be MUCH faster than your internet connection. Example: My WiFi connects at 54Mbps while my internet service is 3 Mbps. Yes I live in the sticks and that's the fastest connection I can get at a reasonable cost, but even a 10 Mbps connection is much slower than WiFi. That and not having to wire the house makes WiFi my choice.

poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

No link, not even going to try at this point. Almost Identical to the biostar board I posted earlier, but with USB 3.0. Might as well future proof myself a bit more with this build.

@ Old H-Ware Tech
I'm a bit confused by your post... can you explain a bit more about the WiFi speeds? What makes your WiFi so much faster? You are using a WiFi router coming off of your 3 Mps wired connection right?

That's the board I recommended to you before. I am using it in my current machine and so far no problems. I ordered mine on Black Friday. I think that the negative reviews were simply from a bad batch of MoBos, and Asus has fixed the issue on newer ones.

Whichever board you get, Good Luck! :)

poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

wait whaaaa? :??:

its one of the highest rated MoBo's on Newegg... how can it have 13% of people unhappy with it?

Old H-Ware Tech

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Ok, I'm a lot better at understanding than explaining but I'll give it a try. My internet connection through AT&T is at the rate of 3 Mbps, no matter how I connect a system to my router either WiFi or wired I only get speeds up to 3 Mbps when accessing the internet. My home WiFi network has a connection speed of 54 Mbps, meaning I can communicate with other systems ON MY LOCAL NETWORK (my other computers, DVR or Blu Ray player) at speeds up to 54 Mbps. This topic seems to confuse a lot of people. Remember WiFi is a local area network that has to be connected to the internet via dsl or whatever. A wired local area network works the same way, it has to be connected to the internet via dsl/cable etc. The speeds you acheive on the local area network are independant of your internet connection speed, no matter how fast you can communicate with local machines communication on the internet will be limited to whatever speed you pay your ip for. Hope that clarifies things for you, if not maybe someone who is better at explaining things can chime in.