VAIO VPCEA36FA OR Pavilion dv6-3171EE

BestMoon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hello,
I want to buy a laptop and after a long search I decide to buy one of those two:
Sony VAIO VPCEA36FA and HP Pavilion dv6-3171EE

They r the same price in my country and the most applications that I will use on are: visual studio .net, MS SQL, Office suite and some other general application

Also I want to play games on it with a medium customization settings

The problems for me are:

1) HP has Intel®Core -i7-720QM TURBO(1.6GHz up to 2.8 /6MB/1066MHz) and VAIO has Intel® Core -i5-560M 2.66GHz Turbo Boost up to 3.20/3MB and I dont know which of them is the best for the previous usage

2) The HDD is 500GB for both of them with 5400 rpm for VAIO and 7200 rpm for HP

3) I know that most HP laptops has a problem of the temp raise and I don't know if they fix it in this model or not

4) I may require later to increase the ram to 8 GB instead of 4 if required and VAIO has 4GB Ram (2*2048) so its mean that I have to change both of them later while HP has 4GB Ram (1*4096) and free slot so I can upgrade the ram easy without changing the old one

So after these problems which do you think is the best for the previous usage?

Thank you and Sorry for the long thread

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
You always gonna pay more for the Sony name...it's a slower processor and older gen motherboard with very little upgrade options..the hdd in the hp is better at 7200 rpm.
I think hp support is better than sonys too...
You didn't mention the graphics card installed on either but my guess is that the hp will have a better card as well..
Hope this helps...
JQ

BestMoon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
:sweat:

unfortunately I did. I waited for an answer and no one answer me so I compared between them my self and decide to buy the Sony one.

They two have the same graphics card (ATI HD 5650)

I bought Sony because I think that the programs which support 4 cores not many and we can say (as I know) the percentage between the programs which support 1 or 2 cores and the others which support 4 cores is about 70% to 30%

So the processor in the Sony one will be better in this case since it is more faster

Also there is an HP laptop with the same specifications as like as the Sony one but the speed of the HP processor is less than the Sony ([2.5 with turbo up to 2.9] to [2.66 with turbo up to 3.2])

Don't know whether I did the right thing or not :pt1cable:

Any way thank you for ur answer