Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus Sabertooth x58 Problems booting from marvel sata3

Last response: in Motherboards
December 8, 2011 1:29:08 AM

Hi all,

I installed an ocz agility 3 ssd on the sabertooth x58. With no other hard drives plugged in I was able to install windows 7 x64 with no problem. When I plug in my old sata2 drive in along with it, it says "no boot device" although the marvell controller does recognize it. I tried all the different storage option modes. Right now I set the sata and marvell modes to "ahci" based on what I read. Any help would be appreciated.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 8, 2011 11:43:23 AM

Did you plug in the sata2 drive while windows was running? It won't list the sata2 drive as a boot device while both drives are running. You don't need it set up that way. Only one boot device at a time; If your sata3 ocz ever fails, you simply unplug it and use your sata2 drive as the boot device.
Score
December 9, 2011 12:46:19 AM

I only want to boot off the SSD... forget the sata2 for a second. It doesn't boot now at all - Even when it is plugged in alone. The Marvell and bios picks it up but it doesn't recognize it as a boot device. I plan on calling OCZ tomorrow morning, but from what I'm reading, it's a sata3 controller issue.
Score
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 9, 2011 12:23:00 PM

Most likely. I had to use "native ide" mode on one 790fx board for my agility 3 to work. The speed wasn't that bad.
Score
December 19, 2011 7:47:36 PM

Was a windows issue. Had to reinstall and set as activre partition. The bootmgr was installed to another drive.
Score
January 7, 2012 3:15:46 PM

Dude,What read and write speed did u get?
Score
January 8, 2012 2:38:46 PM

Dear illectronic, let me help you in here 1st, remove the battery from your mobo let it settle for a few minutes, 2nd do not plug under any situation any Sata Cable in the Marvell Ports "The 2 Grey Ports (Because Marvell® 9128 PCIe SATA6Gb/s controller is causing these Problems Specially on Socket 1366) lots of my customers faced these issues but don't worry just plug it in the (Intel ICH10R controller which is the SATA3Gb/s "Black Ports" than all your problems well be over ;) .
Score
January 8, 2012 2:44:07 PM

Sorry forgot to tell you send me a pm msg after doing these steps enjoy it ;) .
Score

Best solution

March 29, 2012 10:08:46 PM

illectronic said:
Hi all,

I installed an ocz agility 3 ssd on the sabertooth x58. With no other hard drives plugged in I was able to install windows 7 x64 with no problem. When I plug in my old sata2 drive in along with it, it says "no boot device" although the marvell controller does recognize it. I tried all the different storage option modes. Right now I set the sata and marvell modes to "ahci" based on what I read. Any help would be appreciated.

same thing happened to me...i enabled AHCI...installed the latest drivers, and bios and it works great...give it a try...every time i would enable IDE mode the system would fail to boot into windows...it would post but not load windows...also i have done some test on a raid 0 setup and the 64kb bios settings with 32kb cluster size in windows offers the best performance
April 9, 2012 3:07:23 PM

Update: I fixed this a while back. With AHCI enabled, I re-installed windows 7 and the bootloader to the ssd. I made sure no other drives were plugged in. When I added the other drives, I made sure those partitions were not marked as "system" in disk management. Works great now. Thanks to all for responding.
Score
April 9, 2012 4:15:38 PM

glad we could help....last week i up the bios with the latest version....if you want to can disable the AHCI while using raid....AHCI is mainly for server use not home use :) ...therefore there is really not that big of an advantage....if you really want speed i would recomend a revodrive x2 240 gb....very very fast and you get over 100,000 iops :)  and 700+ MBs, now that's server speed and access for ya :) 
Score
April 19, 2012 12:53:50 AM

mogan said:
Dude,What read and write speed did u get?

Score
April 19, 2012 12:54:27 AM

Best answer selected by illectronic.
Score
April 19, 2012 12:55:30 AM

I wasn't able to select myself as best answer. Thanks everyone for replying again. Here is what worked:

Update: I fixed this a while back. With AHCI enabled, I re-installed windows 7 and the bootloader to the ssd. I made sure no other drives were plugged in. When I added the other drives, I made sure those partitions were not marked as "system" in disk management. Works great now. Thanks to all for responding.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
April 19, 2012 1:30:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!