Sign in with
Your question

In win 8, how to change permission and copy files from ssd to hdd

Last response: in Windows 8
January 9, 2013 11:11:18 AM

Hello,
, how to change permission and copy files from ssd to hdd. When I try to copy docs from one to the other, in some cases even creating creating and saving a word doc, it says I need permission from administrator, which is me. Its a home computer.
January 9, 2013 11:29:51 AM

danzmu said:
Hello,
, how to change permission and copy files from ssd to hdd. When I try to copy docs from one to the other, in some cases even creating creating and saving a word doc, it says I need permission from administrator, which is me. Its a home computer.

Make yourself the owner of the folder.

m
l
Anonymous
January 9, 2013 10:59:34 PM

Quote:

Something Linux user grow accustomed to

As a Linux user I can tell you I never login as root, thats what su, sudo and kdesu are for.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 11:11:10 PM

Quote:
what I do so I have full access to files is log in as admin, You can do what neiesus suggested or. Right click on my computer goto to manage, then click on LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS, DOUBLE CLICK ON USERS, GO TO PROPERTIES OF ADMINISTRATOR (UNCHECK, ACCOUNT IS DISABLED)
Now you have the option a to log_in as admin with full access to your computer and users. Something Linux user grow accustomed to

Only Windows 7 Pro and above has the Local Users and groups applet available to the user; It is not available on Windows Home Premium or below.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 11:12:55 PM

neieus said:
Make yourself the owner of the folder.

Is your local account and Administrator account or a "standard user" account?
m
l
January 9, 2013 11:22:40 PM

There's an easy way out of ownership mess:
1) Run command prompt as admin
2) Assuming your SSD drive letter is D:, type 'icacls D:\* /reset /t /c /l'
3) Wait for it to finish, it'll inform you about number of successful and failed file ownership changes
4) You can close command prompt and copy files over now.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 1:40:44 AM

danny2000 said:
Only Windows 7 Pro and above has the Local Users and groups applet available to the user; It is not available on Windows Home Premium or below.

this is windows 8 area and 7 has nothing to do with this topic at all
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 2:57:29 AM

You cannot do what you say in Windows 8 Home either.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 4:01:21 AM

There are other ways in win 8 like command line
net user Administrator /active:yes

To disable the Windows-8 administrator account, type the command with "no"
net user Administrator /active:no[/quotemsg]

the above parts work, but you still cannot add a user to a group, like you can in Pro and above.

Personally, I would ensure that your account has full-access to the HDD's root and propagate the settings to all subfolders, for the purpose of gaining access to them.

If you can then access the files, I would move everything off of the hard drive to your SSD and wipe-out (delete partions and format) the HDD.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 4:24:58 AM

This is the group policy gpedit.msc this has nothing to do with the setup of admin or the setup of user groups. without the gpedit you cannot set policy's of the user. The controls for Admins is available though computer management local users and groups.
If you upgrade w7 home you do not get gpeditor, if you upgrade win7 pro you do get he editor, however the management of users and groups is available with 8 or pro. I am almost finished upgrading my windows 7 home
m
l
January 10, 2013 4:43:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
the above parts work, but you still cannot add a user to a group, like you can in Pro and above
.U are wrong. U can do this in 8 and pro.

Personally, I would ensure that your account has full-access to the HDD's root and propagate the settings to all subfolders, for the purpose of gaining access to them.

If you can then access the files, I would move everything off of the hard drive to your SSD and wipe-out (delete partions and format) the HDD.

I have windows 8 upgrade from win 7 home, I do have the options that gomerpile has mentioned.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 6:06:56 AM

I C said:
I have windows 8 upgrade from win 7 home, I do have the options that gomerpile has mentioned.

Yes, you see the options because you have the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, and not the Windows 8 Home Upgrade.

m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 6:40:09 AM

danny2000 said:
Yes, you see the options because you have the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, and not the Windows 8 Home Upgrade.

you are wrong this is the online upgrade I first got, I paid 15 dollars at the time for it. I currently own both the upgrade and the pro.
I see someone else agree
m
l
!