Rechargable Batteries

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 26, 2005 12:01:56 AM

Which brands of rechargeable batteries do you prefer? What's a good source
for purchase?

More about : rechargable batteries

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:01:57 AM

The most important is to make sure they are at least 2000 mAh and to
get a rapid charger.

I have some old 1200 mAh and old 8 hour charger that still does the job
but I'll be happy when I pick up the 1 hour charger with 4 2200 mAh
batteriest next week!
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:01:57 AM

Darkfalz.Usenet@gmail.com wrote:
> The most important is to make sure they are at least 2000 mAh and to
> get a rapid charger.
>
> I have some old 1200 mAh and old 8 hour charger that still does the
job
> but I'll be happy when I pick up the 1 hour charger with 4 2200 mAh
> batteriest next week!

Darkfalz,

I know that rapid charging is far more convenient, but do you know if
the batteries last as long with rapid charging as they do with slow
charging?

Have you got any citations on that?

Thanks.

Alan
January 26, 2005 12:22:11 AM

Do you know if I can use my old charger with a couple of newer ~2400
mAh batteries and they will be charged to the max? Does the charger
care about the capacity of the batteries?
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:28:07 AM

Cool, I've got 8 2500 mAh Energizers on the way in the post.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:01:53 AM

Alan Meyer wrote:
> Darkfalz.Usenet@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>The most important is to make sure they are at least 2000 mAh and to
>>get a rapid charger.
>>
>>I have some old 1200 mAh and old 8 hour charger that still does the
>
> job
>
>>but I'll be happy when I pick up the 1 hour charger with 4 2200 mAh
>>batteriest next week!
>

> Darkfalz,
>
> I know that rapid charging is far more convenient, but do you know if
> the batteries last as long with rapid charging as they do with slow
> charging?
>
> Have you got any citations on that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alan

Probably not, but with a pack of 4 selling for under $10 does it really
matter if they last only 300 cycles, rather than 500?
If you get 100 shots/charge, that's 30,000 pictures per set, or in the
case of the OP's camera, 60,000 (it uses 2 batteries).

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Darkfalz.Usenet@gmail.com wrote:
> Do you know if I can use my old charger with a couple of newer ~2400
> mAh batteries and they will be charged to the max? Does the charger
> care about the capacity of the batteries?

It depends on how the charger senses a full charge. If it is a very
slow (over 3.5 hours) charger, it is likely just charging on time. This
would result in a poor charge percentage. A good 'smart' charger, like
the MAHA 401 will sense each battery's charge and continue charging it
until it is completely full. I suspect the rapid (1 hour or less)
chargers MUST sense each battery's charge or unplesant things would happen.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:37:27 AM

I use the "Digital" NI-MH brand that you can get at Wally-World or Big-Lots.
They usually run about 5.99 for the 2000mAh and 9.99 for the 2500mAh. They
work great with my Kodak CX7330. I can take almost 100 Pics with these
batteries. Before they Poop Out.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:37:28 AM

J Cook wrote:
> I use the "Digital" NI-MH brand that you can get at Wally-World or Big-Lots.
> They usually run about 5.99 for the 2000mAh and 9.99 for the 2500mAh. They
> work great with my Kodak CX7330. I can take almost 100 Pics with these
> batteries. Before they Poop Out.

You may find that after a few use cycles that you will get even more
pictures per charge. NIMH seems to take a few cycles to reach peak
performance. I get up to 250 shots out of my Kodak NIMH pack on my
DX6440. It also helps if you have a really good charger that charges
each battery by itself.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:55:34 AM

"Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Darkfalz.Usenet@gmail.com wrote:
> > The most important is to make sure they are at least 2000 mAh and to
> > get a rapid charger.
> >
> > I have some old 1200 mAh and old 8 hour charger that still does the
> job
> > but I'll be happy when I pick up the 1 hour charger with 4 2200 mAh
> > batteriest next week!
>
> Darkfalz,
>
> I know that rapid charging is far more convenient, but do you know if
> the batteries last as long with rapid charging as they do with slow
> charging?
>
> Have you got any citations on that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alan

I have just concluded testing with 1/2 hour charger versus 8 hour charger.
But seem to put about the same mah into the battery, about 10% less than the
ultimate C/20 lab charger. But reportedly the 1/2 hour charger might give
400 to 500 charge discharge cycles while the 8 hour charger would double
that. Even 400 is quite a number of shots and is small compared to the cost
of printing.

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:50:55 AM

If I was gonna get a new charger I'd have done that instead, cuz they
all come with batteries. Should be fine on this one I think... I don't
need a 1 hour rapid one anyway.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:42:15 AM

<Darkfalz.Usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you know if I can use my old charger with a couple of newer ~2400
> mAh batteries and they will be charged to the max? Does the charger
> care about the capacity of the batteries?

Chargers do not know what the capacity is of the batteries they are
charging. Go ahead and use your old charger. Most older chargers will just
bring them up to capacity according to current and voltage. The newer
chargers may use temperature detection too depending on design. You can be
assured you will get a good charge with new batteries and an older charger.
Be aware that Ni-MH batteries lose about 1% per day due to self discharge so
if you are not using them for two or three weeks it is best to top them up
before using to get maximum shots per photo session.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:32:40 AM

Darkfalz.Usenet@gmail.com wrote:
> Cool, I've got 8 2500 mAh Energizers on the way in the post.

Buy a good smart charger for them for best service, and longest use life.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:36:23 PM

"Ray Paseur" <ray@earplugsnon-aol.com> writes:

> Which brands of rechargeable batteries do you prefer? What's a good source
> for purchase?

Ummm, there are many different types of rechargable batteries, many that are
specific to a particular camera or a particular camera maker. If you are
talking about rechargable AA's, one popular source is:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

However, I have gotten AA's from Walmart, CompUSA, Radio Shack, Best Buy,
Circuit City, etc. and they've all worked fine.

A FAQ on AA batteries is at:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

I put in my charged batteries again this morning, and it just kept
charging them... after a while they got hot, and it kept charging
them... so I guess it's a time based charger... :(

I guess I'll have to get a new charger and and cancel those 2500 mAh I
had on order.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:53:39 PM

I'm in Australia, I doubt they would even fit in my power socket. I've
seen plenty available at stores, I don't need to go online.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:25:05 PM

On 26 Jan 2005 17:49:01 -0800, Darkfalz.Usenet@gmail.com wrote:
>I guess I'll have to get a new charger and and cancel those 2500 mAh I
>had on order.

I recommend that you get your batteries and a matching charger from these guys:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/
If you have a question about compatability ask before ordering.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:29:41 AM

Ray Paseur wrote:

> Which brands of rechargeable batteries do you prefer? What's a good source
> for purchase?

Don't get carried away with the highest mAH rating. Look for the best
deal on batteries between 2000mAH and 2500mAH.

As far as brands of batteries, see
"http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM"

Look at cost per mAH. The newest batteries (2300mAH to 2500mAH) are much
more expensive than the plethora of 2000mAH batteries, which are
perpetually on sale, i.e. Fry's was selling 10 packs of Lenmar 2000mAH
AA cells for $4.99 after rebate.

Let's compare the top-rated Energizer 2300 ($2.25) to the Lenmar 2000
($0.50). 140.9 minutes versus 117.4 minutes. You get 20% more capacity,
but the Energizer's are about 450% more in price.

Also, try to stay away from the very high speed chargers, as they reduce
the number of recharge cycles per battery. 600-800mA is fine (4-5 hour
charging). But some newer chargers are charging at over 2000mA, which is
not good.

See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers for information on chargers.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 4:47:56 AM

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
> Ray Paseur wrote:
>
> > Which brands of rechargeable batteries do you prefer? What's a good
source
> > for purchase?
>
> Don't get carried away with the highest mAH rating. Look for the best
> deal on batteries between 2000mAH and 2500mAH.
>
> As far as brands of batteries, see
> "http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM"
>
> Look at cost per mAH. The newest batteries (2300mAH to 2500mAH) are much
> more expensive than the plethora of 2000mAH batteries, which are
> perpetually on sale, i.e. Fry's was selling 10 packs of Lenmar 2000mAH
> AA cells for $4.99 after rebate.

I've got the Lenmar NoMem Pro 2000mAh (10 AA cells worth) and the Lenmar
2000mAh batteries (10 AA cells worth), along with a Lenmar battery charger
that can charge up to eight cells at a time in pairs (model number Pro88).
To be honest, I'm not happy with them at all for digital camera usage,
although they are cheap to buy.

While I have seen great battery life results with the Lenmar batteries in
devices such as portable video game systems, pocket TV's, portable CD
players... they don't last very long at all when I put them in my Nikon
Coolpix 2100 point-and-shoot digital camera. I get maybe 20 shots with the
flash, or about maybe 50 without the flash--if I leave the LCD off--before
the batteries are reported as low. If I use the LCD, that number decreases
by almost half. And I get about maybe 10 to 20 more shots maximum before the
Batteries Are Depleted message appears, depending on whether the flash is
used and whether or not the LCD is on or off.

And since the camera doesn't test as defective in any other way, I blame the
NiMH battery cells at this point. I also realize it's also an older camera,
but it still seems that the NiMH battery cells shouldn't drain that quickly.

So, I'm not seeing significantly long life out of the NiMH batteries--at
least with the Lenmar brand. And even when I have specifically timed a 14
hour charge for all the cells, the battery life does not seem to be any
better even after 5 or 6 charge/depletion cycles per set.

[snip...]
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:30:02 AM

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
>
>>Ray Paseur wrote:
>>

>>>Which brands of rechargeable batteries do you prefer? What's a good
>
> source
>
>>>for purchase?
>>
>>Don't get carried away with the highest mAH rating. Look for the best
>>deal on batteries between 2000mAH and 2500mAH.
>>
>>As far as brands of batteries, see
>>"http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM"
>>
>>Look at cost per mAH. The newest batteries (2300mAH to 2500mAH) are much
>>more expensive than the plethora of 2000mAH batteries, which are
>>perpetually on sale, i.e. Fry's was selling 10 packs of Lenmar 2000mAH
>>AA cells for $4.99 after rebate.
>>

> I've got the Lenmar NoMem Pro 2000mAh (10 AA cells worth) and the Lenmar
> 2000mAh batteries (10 AA cells worth), along with a Lenmar battery charger
> that can charge up to eight cells at a time in pairs (model number Pro88).
> To be honest, I'm not happy with them at all for digital camera usage,
> although they are cheap to buy.
>
> While I have seen great battery life results with the Lenmar batteries in
> devices such as portable video game systems, pocket TV's, portable CD
> players... they don't last very long at all when I put them in my Nikon
> Coolpix 2100 point-and-shoot digital camera. I get maybe 20 shots with the
> flash, or about maybe 50 without the flash--if I leave the LCD off--before
> the batteries are reported as low. If I use the LCD, that number decreases
> by almost half. And I get about maybe 10 to 20 more shots maximum before the
> Batteries Are Depleted message appears, depending on whether the flash is
> used and whether or not the LCD is on or off.
>
> And since the camera doesn't test as defective in any other way, I blame the
> NiMH battery cells at this point. I also realize it's also an older camera,
> but it still seems that the NiMH battery cells shouldn't drain that quickly.
>
> So, I'm not seeing significantly long life out of the NiMH batteries--at
> least with the Lenmar brand. And even when I have specifically timed a 14
> hour charge for all the cells, the battery life does not seem to be any
> better even after 5 or 6 charge/depletion cycles per set.
>
> [snip...]

It sounds more to me like you have rechargeable alkaline batteries. The
charge time and use life sounds much more like alkaline than NIMH.
Examine the batteries carefully, and see if they aren't alkalines.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 9:51:10 AM

Harvey wrote:
> I have just concluded testing with 1/2 hour charger versus 8 hour
charger.
> But seem to put about the same mah into the battery, about 10% less
than the
> ultimate C/20 lab charger. But reportedly the 1/2 hour charger might
give
> 400 to 500 charge discharge cycles while the 8 hour charger would
double
> that. Even 400 is quite a number of shots and is small compared to
the cost
> of printing.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like, where rapid
charging is not an issue, slow charging is better for the batteries.

However if you've got a citation for that I'd love to see it. I've
found that one person reports something that he thinks might be the
case and, before we know it, his speculation becomes received wisdom as
it gets repeated all around the Internet with no one actually knowing
where the information came from or any longer being able to trace it
back to him.

Thanks.

Alan
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:27:32 PM

In article <1106837470.318800.125240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like, where rapid
> charging is not an issue, slow charging is better for the batteries.

No, smart charging is best for batteries if you want the longest life
per cell and the longest usage per charge. Each cell needs to be charged
and measured individually. And that requires a smart charger.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
January 27, 2005 10:43:12 PM

Most smart chargers don't monitor each cell individually, only a few do.
Pair monitoring is more common.

"Bob Salomon" <bob_salomon@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> In article <1106837470.318800.125240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> That's exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like, where rapid
>> charging is not an issue, slow charging is better for the batteries.
>
> No, smart charging is best for batteries if you want the longest life
> per cell and the longest usage per charge. Each cell needs to be charged
> and measured individually. And that requires a smart charger.
>
> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 10:43:13 PM

In article <gYednThxvIen2WTcRVn-tA@nildram.net>,
"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

> Most smart chargers don't monitor each cell individually, only a few do.
> Pair monitoring is more common.
>

> "Bob Salomon" <bob_salomon@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <1106837470.318800.125240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> > "Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> That's exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like, where rapid
> >> charging is not an issue, slow charging is better for the batteries.
> >
> > No, smart charging is best for batteries if you want the longest life
> > per cell and the longest usage per charge. Each cell needs to be charged
> > and measured individually. And that requires a smart charger.
> >
> > --
> > To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

All of the Ansmann smart chargers monitor and charge the cells
individually. That is one of the major functions of a smart charger.
Monitoring 1/2 the inserted cells and not allowing single cell insertion
or removal at any time would not be the sign of a smart charger.

Unless someone is trying to market a dumb charger as a smart charger.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:02:27 PM

> I'm in Australia, I doubt they would even fit in my power socket. I've
> seen plenty available at stores, I don't need to go online.

Well, Maha sells chargers that are compatible with Aussie power, since it
just
takes a universal AC input and only needs a localised plug.

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=...

It's just that nobody here seems to sell them.

Weird.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:02:28 PM

In article <41f8ae16$0$15825$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
"Brian Rusten" <brusten@optushome.com.au> wrote:

> <Darkfalz.Usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm in Australia, I doubt they would even fit in my power socket. I've
> > seen plenty available at stores, I don't need to go online.
>
> Well, Maha sells chargers that are compatible with Aussie power, since it
> just
> takes a universal AC input and only needs a localised plug.
>
> http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=...
> id
>
> It's just that nobody here seems to sell them.
>
> Weird.

Ansmann sells smart chargers that come with AUS, EU, UK and US plugs. No
adapters needed.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:02:29 PM

Bob Salomon wrote:
> In article <41f8ae16$0$15825$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> "Brian Rusten" <brusten@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>

>><Darkfalz.Usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm in Australia, I doubt they would even fit in my power socket. I've
>>>seen plenty available at stores, I don't need to go online.
>>
>>Well, Maha sells chargers that are compatible with Aussie power, since it
>>just
>>takes a universal AC input and only needs a localised plug.
>>
>>http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=...
>>id
>>
>>It's just that nobody here seems to sell them.
>>
>>Weird.
>

> Ansmann sells smart chargers that come with AUS, EU, UK and US plugs. No
> adapters needed.

Very good chargers as well, but a bit more expensive. Perhaps it is the
cost of including all those plugs, not needed by most users.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:25:31 AM

A dumb charger is one that doesn't monitor the charge state period. A smart
charger monitors voltage of cells, one, two or four at a time. Those that
monitor each cell are just a little smarter then the others (and only a
little).
Also, in the grand scheme of things, NiMH's only cost a little, so why all
the fuss over this subject anyway.
Dave Cohen

> In article <gYednThxvIen2WTcRVn-tA@nildram.net>,
> "SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:
>
>> Most smart chargers don't monitor each cell individually, only a few do.
>> Pair monitoring is more common.
>>

>> "Bob Salomon" <bob_salomon@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> > No, smart charging is best for batteries if you want the longest life
>> > per cell and the longest usage per charge. Each cell needs to be
>> > charged
>> > and measured individually. And that requires a smart charger.
>> >
>> > --
>> > To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
>
> All of the Ansmann smart chargers monitor and charge the cells
> individually. That is one of the major functions of a smart charger.
> Monitoring 1/2 the inserted cells and not allowing single cell insertion
> or removal at any time would not be the sign of a smart charger.
>
> Unless someone is trying to market a dumb charger as a smart charger.
>
> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:29:09 AM

Dave Cohen wrote:
> A dumb charger is one that doesn't monitor the charge state period. A smart
> charger monitors voltage of cells, one, two or four at a time. Those that
> monitor each cell are just a little smarter then the others (and only a
> little).
> Also, in the grand scheme of things, NiMH's only cost a little, so why all
> the fuss over this subject anyway.
> Dave Cohen

The cost of batteries is only one part of the equation. While damaging
a $1 battery by improper charging over a long period isn't a disaster,
missing a great picture because you had to change batteries after only
20 pictures, may be a bit more important. A good charger, and good
batteries will make taking good pictures more reliable, and more pleasant.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:31:41 AM

> The cost of batteries is only one part of the equation. While damaging a
> $1 battery by improper charging over a long period isn't a disaster,
> missing a great picture because you had to change batteries after only 20
> pictures, may be a bit more important. A good charger, and good batteries
> will make taking good pictures more reliable, and more pleasant.

Not burning down your place of habitation is a reasonable hope, as well.

I think my Panasonic BQ-830 would have had a shot at the above had I not
been checking the status of the batteries on the charger frequently....

Good shooting,
Bob Scott
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 9:17:17 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:31:41 GMT, "Robert Scott"
<desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Not burning down your place of habitation is a reasonable hope, as well.
>
>I think my Panasonic BQ-830 would have had a shot at the above had I not
>been checking the status of the batteries on the charger frequently....

FYI, I just received a recall notice for the BQ-830A I purchased at
Costco. They claim that while it may overheat and damage the charger,
it won't actually burn or explode. Comforting ain't they? :-)

The number to call to get a prepaid mailer to return the charger for a
full refund is 1-800-332-5368

deg
!