Your question

Random freezing after GPU upgrade [Nvidia GT240]

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 8, 2010 11:23:38 PM

Hello,

I looked at threads before but none seemed to help.

I have a Gateway GM5424.
I wanted to upgrade the GPU on it so I replaced the old Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE and got a GT240.
(Best I could get with my power supply)

Well, the install went find but about 10 min in on my browser it froze. I had to turn off my PC.

It freezes every once in a while but it NEVER freezes in a game. Its always when I'm on a browser. Usually listening to music or watching a video on youtube.

I'm not quite sure the reason for this freezing. I believe the graphics card is fine with my PC.

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
300 watt power.
2 gig of ram.
Intel Core 2 CPU.

I think it may have something to do with the drivers but I wouldn't know.

If there's any more information you need, I'll answer it ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

More about : random freezing gpu upgrade nvidia gt240

a c 236 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 11:29:58 PM

since it does not freeze in game its not a power issue. it really sounds like a driver issue. make sure the video card drivers are up to date, flash is up to date, your browser is up to date, etc.,

you can always switch browsers to firefox, chrome, etc.,

m
l
November 8, 2010 11:35:23 PM

First off, oh my god, I LOVE ferrets. :p 

Hmm I updated the drivers immediately when I installed them. But I got the EVGA GT240 and there were drivers on the disk I installed right away then I went to the Nvidia site and got those drivers. Maybe this is the problem?
Should I go back to the EVGA site?

Flash I can update, along with the browsers (I use both chrome and firefox) but this issue wasn't around before the upgrade. But I BELIEVE it's only frozen with chrome. I'll use firefox exclusively and see if I dont freeze at all.

But the weird thing is it seems to be a bit on and off. No freezing one day freezing multiple times the next. But I guess thats because some days I actually do things and other days I just play games the entire time.

PS: Thanks for the quick reply. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 236 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 11:46:46 PM

did you delete the drivers from the evga disc before you installed the new drivers off the Nvidia web site? if not, try a clean install of the drivers from the Nvidia web site.

I've mostly use Nvidia cards and never had an issue with Firefox.

m
l
November 8, 2010 11:50:02 PM

No, I guess I installed the Nvidia drivers on top of them. That may be a problem.
I'll do that now.

I used to exclusively use Firefox but sometimes I like to use Chrome on quick visits because its a lot faster and less CPU usage consuming.

EDIT:
I checked and it seems the drivers I have Nvidia graphics driver 260.99 which seem to be the most up to date. I don't see any other earlier drivers under Nvidia or EVGA. Hmm

Also, it froze in Firefox as well. I was listening to music on youtube again but it was playing for a while. Froze out of the blue.

Edit 2:
I closed all the youtube tabs and it doesn't seem like I'm freezing.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:46:46 AM

The official Nvidia site for the chip recommends 300 PSU all right but the final power consumption is related more to the hardware configuration than anything else,

Assuming you running everything in stock speed else the possibility to break that limit exists and it will result to random freezes, reboots in some games, etc. Some on board capacitors are not operating well if the heat is above 80 C the new motherboards have Japanese capacitors that can operate to 105 C without a problem solving all the stability issues.

Bottom line these problems are more hardware configuration related than anything else.
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:52:15 AM

Quote:
The official Nvidia site for the chip recommends 300 PSU all right but the final power consumption is related more to the hardware configuration than anything else,

Assuming you running everything in stock speed else the possibility to break that limit exists and it will result to random freezes, reboots in some games, etc. Some on board capacitors are not operating well if the heat is above 80 C the new motherboards have Japanese capacitors that can operate to 105 C without a problem solving all the stability issues.

Bottom line these problems are more hardware configuration related than anything else.

... :pfff:  if you actually took the time to read you would see he is doing just fine with gaming. you have a track record of failing to understand how power supplies work. if you plan to post your inaccurate opinions I will notify the mods and have you banned. last I checked I believe delluser1 was teaching you how powers supplies work, I suggest you return to your studies.
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:55:10 AM

UnknownToaster said:

Also, it froze in Firefox as well. I was listening to music on youtube again but it was playing for a while. Froze out of the blue.

Edit 2:

it seems like youtube is the culprit for the majority of your browser crashes?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 5:08:03 AM

ct1615 said:
... :pfff:  if you actually took the time to read you would see he is doing just fine with gaming. you have a track record of failing to understand how power supplies work. if you plan to post your inaccurate opinions I will notify the mods and have you banned. last I checked I believe delluser1 was teaching you how powers supplies work, I suggest you return to your studies.

I have to remind you in every 300 watts case so far you send the people to check their motheriborads. Finaly do your 'job' in here and leave me be all right?
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 5:13:47 AM

no one has said anything about any motherboard in this thread. you want to continue a conversation from another thread where the poster agreed with me and selected me as best answer, go ahead. I'm sure the mods will love that.

I'll leave you be once you stop posting inaccurate information.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 5:16:33 AM

ct1615 said:
no one has said anything about any motherboard in this thread. you want to continue a conversation from another thread where the poster agreed with me and selected me as best answer, go ahead. I'm sure the mods will love that.

I'll leave you be once you stop posting inaccurate information.

here is a 300 watts case having problems with GT240 you were saying to him to send his motherboard to be checked:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

finaly do your 'job' and let me BE.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 5:24:01 AM

ct1615 said:
"Best answer from ct1615"

Did you solved his problem? or you goanna solve and this? In the end he did return the card back and in this case the same will happen so who is giving a who is goanna be selected as the 'best' answer?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 5:32:15 AM

ct1615 said:
"Best answer from ct1615"

Lol, Owned :D 
Btw Giatrakis, notice ct 615 gold badge for the section and his addict tag-
I would leave that alone-
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 5:36:47 AM

I don't have a problem with this he may send all the 300 watts cases with GF240 problems to check their motherboards, check their drivers and whatever he likes.

Why the don't letting me write what i believe is the 'best' because in the end the ONLY thing that counts is to make a pc work and nothing else.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 7:07:18 AM

Firstly, get back on topic. If you want to discuss another thread then do so in the other thread or via PM.

Secondly, if the power supply is an issue then the problem would almost certainly show up under heavy load rather than light load. Do you honestly think his system is going to pull 300W while watching youtube videos? I doubt his system could pull 300W under any load. Of course that's somewhat irrelevant because he only needs to come close to the current limit on any of the voltage rails to cause instability with a cheap power supply, but since we have no idea what the current limits are it's impossible to make any judgement on that. The PSU label will likely list current limits for all but the 12V rail, which is the only one we care about anyway.

@UnknownToaster: Have you tried just switching back to the 7300LE and seeing if the problem persists? You'd need to re-install your drivers of course. You could also swap out the PSU for another one to test it if you can salvage one from somewhere. It still sounds like a software issue to me.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 7:28:11 AM

I wrote assuming he didn't overclock his card or the cpu to a level that can't handle and they jump to me!? I afraid he will forced to return the card back anyway.

The best advice always can be update your PSU first then you will have more choices to make and this will save from troubles.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 11:34:51 AM

1. Check the event viewer to see if the system is logging errors. When you get freezes, you'll often see errors in the system and/or application logs.

2. Start the system into safe mode. If it doesn't freeze there, it's almost guaranteed to be a driver issue (most likely video).
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 2:49:00 PM

Quote:
I wrote assuming he didn't overclock his card or the cpu to a level that can't handle and they jump to me!? I afraid he will forced to return the card back anyway.

The best advice always can be update your PSU first then you will have more choices to make and this will save from troubles.

what? how can the best advice be to spend more money before making sure all other avenues are not checked? this why you fail to post relevant information to help people. your response to everyone is purchase a new PSU because you have issues with your PSU. The OP card runs fine under load, you think youtube will draw more power then a video game? Your inability to understand something as basic as that is why I question your comments and have every right to do so.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 3:04:30 PM

Quote:

ct1615 said:
what? how can the best advice be to spend more money before making sure all other avenues are not checked? this why you fail to post relevant information to help people. your response to everyone is purchase a new PSU because you have issues with your PSU. The OP card runs fine under load, you think youtube will draw more power then a video game? Your inability to understand something as basic as that is why I question your comments and have every right to do so.

well, am not criticizing but, well, what ct615 is affirming seems true. Giatrakis, its nice that you try to help, but get some more knowledge about these matters, it may cost some people dearly in matters of $$ if their problem is wrongly diagnosed. No harm meant-
m
l
November 9, 2010 7:41:19 PM

The thing is, I'm not 100% sure youtube is causing it really. Everytime it has crashed it just happened I had youtube open. I almost always do. The chances remaining that it could easily be something else. While I've had youtube closed I haven't crashed but as I said before it seems to be on and off. Out of the blue even if I'm not doing anything. Some days it doesn't happen sometimes multiple times in a row.

But I never had this freezing before I switched. Youtube worked just fine for me. I could try switching back to my LE and see if I never crash but being that I'm not 100% sure youtube is causing it, I could be sitting forever waiting for a crash while it being irrelevant.

I'll run my anti-virus but I didn't download anything recently before the switch or after. I don't know that viruses delay their effects. My first crash was 10 min after I turned my pc on for the first time with the new GPU after I installed the drivers.

I have not installed any windows updates for a while.

Hmm, I don't have another PC to test it in, well besides my friends but I don't think either of us would be totally comfortable with that. Well, especially not his Dad anyhow.

And I'd definitely like to hold re-install OS as the VERY last option being that I've reinstalled it multiple times just this year and one was rather recent.

[EDIT: I'd also like to mention that it never crashes when a video starts, but after maybe ten or so and I play another while on another tab not paying attention is when it crashes most often.]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 7:48:19 PM

UnknownToaster said:
I could try switching back to my LE and see if I never crash but being that I'm not 100% sure youtube is causing it, I could be sitting forever waiting for a crash while it being irrelevant.

I'll run my anti-virus but I didn't download anything recently before the switch or after. I don't know that viruses delay their effects. My first crash was 10 min after I turned my pc on for the first time with the new GPU after I installed the drivers.

Those are 2 very good reasons right there to what I noted above.

aford10 said:
1. Check the event viewer to see if the system is logging errors. When you get freezes, you'll often see errors in the system and/or application logs.

2. Start the system into safe mode. If it doesn't freeze there, it's almost guaranteed to be a driver issue (most likely video).

m
l
November 9, 2010 8:21:12 PM

aford10 said:
Those are 2 very good reasons right there to what I noted above.

Huh, I some how missed your original post. That is a good idea. Next time it crashes I'll try that and see if it says anything. But so far today I have not crashed even with my youtube videos. Hopefully (Or hopefully not) it will crash so I can test that. Well, Hopefully because if it fixed it's self I'd be worried.

[EDIT: I'm a little more convinced youtube has to do with it. I haven't freezed all day until just now. I had 1 youtube tab open already because I was listening to music but I opened a second one to watch a video and it froze like 5 seconds in.

I went into event viewer.

Apparently I've had 3 errors in the last hour. (0 critical).
1 says: 6008 Eventlog.
2 says: 7011 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider.
3 says: 15016 HttpEvent

None seem to interesting.]

[EDIT 2: I tried overloading a bunch of youtube videos but no crash so far. :\ ]

[EDIT 3: I spent the whole day today with youtube closed. I played games for a while and went back to my browser for a little while and it froze. I have no idea whats causing it. :( 
m
l
November 13, 2010 2:34:21 AM

I'm just going to bump this once since it was getting deep in the threads list. I don't expect to be ignored since I got alot of responses already but If I am I won't bump it again.

What I forgot to mention was that my PC is 2 years old and it was FILLED with dust when I opened it. I didn't get all of it out. Could that dust be part of the issue?
It has frozen without youtube being open its frozen in firefox and in chrome. So far it has not frozen without a browser (SO FAR) or in game.

I'm not sure what to do.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
November 13, 2010 2:40:13 AM

Quote:
Don't...

* Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!
* Share personal information, like your email address. Identify theft is real.
* Bump posts, claim "first!"
* Hijack a topic. Stick to the original conversation.
* Ask for help pirating, cracking passwords, or bypassing copyright protection

Source.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2010 3:08:38 AM

Try running in safe mode with networking for a while. Do the problems follow you there?
m
l
November 13, 2010 3:13:19 AM

Ah well I'm sorry, I won't do that again.

The weird thing is when I go to safemode, it loads all the dll then it hangs at LOADING for a little bit then goes black and restarts. :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2010 4:52:49 AM

Use your vista disc, and do a windows repair. Then try getting into safe mode.
m
l
November 13, 2010 11:43:58 PM

It doesn't let me do that because it detects a camera or mp3 player being plugged in. I have everything unnecessary unplugged though.

Oh, and something interesting just happened. I got the little glitched screen which is usually the freezing that happens and I shut off my pc but this time, the glitching was minor, only froze for two seconds, screen went black, and the monitor basically restarted and was perfectly fine.

I'm wondering if this is because the issue is something physical and it's lessened or because this is what it did every time but this time it was much quicker instead of the 30 seconds I usually wait before shutting off my pc (because Im usually listening to music and the audio loops at one note and is extremely upsetting to my ears.)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 12:03:06 AM

How do you know it's detecting a camera or MP3 player? That still shouldn't stop it from booting into safe mode, as long as the hard drive is the first boot device.

m
l
November 14, 2010 12:36:19 AM

Before it stops repairing it says theres a camera or mp3 player being detected and tells me to unplug it from the computer. Thats what stops me from doing a repair.

Whats stopping me from going into safe mode is that after loading all the DLL's it just restarts. Although when I was going into normal safe mode it restarted while it said Loading... after it went through all the dll's but Safemode with networking it got all the way to the screen where you choose the user then restarted.
m
l
November 29, 2010 4:36:35 AM

I bought the same card GT 240 and it is very unstable at low load. (very strange.) I get plenty of artifacting and freezing. Occasionally, it recovers... Most of the time -- it dies.

It's not an overheating problem. I feel the card itself is underpowered. It not a power-supply issue - its a design issue. I have a 740W PS for a computer that sucks 250W at full load (its a baby).

This is the strangest card I've ever owned. I'm wondering if it is a gpu memory issue ?

Anyway, I think all of us that bought this card need to either RMA it or just bite the bullet and get a new one. Its a terrible card.
m
l
November 29, 2010 4:38:54 AM

UnknownToaster said:
No, I guess I installed the Nvidia drivers on top of them. That may be a problem.
I'll do that now.

I used to exclusively use Firefox but sometimes I like to use Chrome on quick visits because its a lot faster and less CPU usage consuming.

EDIT:
I checked and it seems the drivers I have Nvidia graphics driver 260.99 which seem to be the most up to date. I don't see any other earlier drivers under Nvidia or EVGA. Hmm

Edit 2:

Also, it turns out that the card is usually slightly more stable with older drivers (I KNOW THAT SOUNDS RETARDED...) --- I've had some success rolling back to 197.13 but lately the performance has been changing (for the worse.)
m
l
November 29, 2010 4:41:04 AM

Quote:
I have to remind you in every 300 watts case so far you send the people to check their motheriborads. Finaly do your 'job' in here and leave me be all right?

The problem really isn't power. a gt240 is a very low power card. --- I have the same stability issue and my PS sleeps through it (740W).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 7:42:17 AM

Hmm, perhaps there's a way to kick the card into gear when the OS starts up. Maybe run something graphically intensive in a window and then try opening multiple tabs of Youtube. If the card revs up and still fails then that's not the issue and we can move on to the next stage of diagnostics!
m
l
November 29, 2010 11:10:35 AM

plastichairball said:
Hmm, perhaps there's a way to kick the card into gear when the OS starts up. Maybe run something graphically intensive in a window and then try opening multiple tabs of Youtube. If the card revs up and still fails then that's not the issue and we can move on to the next stage of diagnostics!

The thing is -- I used to play GTA4 on this card and it would still crash it enough to where I stopped gaming altogether. :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 11:16:11 AM

Man, that's unfortunate. I feel for you! But the reason I say this is that the OP has no issue with gaming (i.e. when the card is being properly stressed), so I thought stress it a bit and see how it copes then. If that isn't it, then that can be ruled out and we can move on to the next diagnostic stage.
m
l
November 29, 2010 11:23:14 AM

I'm wondering if I force it to clock at it's "nominal" design-pt freq and don't let it drop or climb to anything else.... hmm... I'll post and tell you the results.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 11:29:19 AM

Go for it! I'm very interested to see the result, but I doubt if your issue and the OP's issue are the same. They might be! But he can game with no worries whereas you can't. Still, give it a bash and let us know!
m
l
!