Problem loading Windows on SBM set-up

t2b2r2d2

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I am having a problem with my new PC build: I cannot get Windows 7 to load further than 7% when it tries to re-boot.

My new system is basically the Sept $1000 build as follows:
Asus P7P55D-E LX
Intel I5 760
Coolermaster GS-650 power supply
2x2gb Patriot 1333 RAM
Galaxy 460 video card
Antec 300 Illusion case
WD 500 Blue harddrive
64bit Windows 7
Lite-On IDE 18x optical drive
HP 24x SATA optical drive

The motherboard arrived with a cover over 4 of the 8 pins for the power supply near the CPU. I saw a post on the Asus site where this was discussed and I don't think that is my problem.

The system booted right up and I checked the BIOS and all looked good. It saw the CPU, RAM, harddrive, and optical drive correctly. Life was good! I checked that the CD-rom was above the harddrive in boot order and I placed the Windows7 disk into the drive to reboot. The system booted off of the CD and began to install Windows7. It got up to 2% and the CD drive stopped spinning and the mouse stopped moving. It sat for 4 or 5 minutes before I shut it down and tried again.....same story. I have checked and re-checked the boot order and harddrive settings and out of ideas. After the first install attempt, Windows creates a partition on the drive which I delete before trying to install. If there is no disc in the drive, the system reports 'no boot manager'.

The first optical drive I bought was not a SATA drive and I do not like the big cable, and I thought that might contribute to the problem. The HP SATA drive does the same thing.

I also saw where the Marvel controller does not work right until the driver is installed, but I am using the gray SATA connection, not the blue one.

Anyone else have this problem and know how to overcome it?

Thanks for any help!

Jay

reset your BIOS, drop to a single stick of mem, ensure your mem is not clocked at 1600 MHz effective initially, until you are sure of which voltages/cas timings to use....

Delete partition again, quick format, start over....

Can't even rule out the odd botched Win7 CD unless you can test it on another system///