Home Development Build - review/comment/suggestions

I've been reading quite a few build posts/reviews recently and here's my build that I'm looking for comments/suggestions on.

All parts/prices I have listed below are from Newegg as of Jan 8, 2011. Note that some items have sale/promo/MIR pricing.

Where I am looking for input I have put an (Option x) entry

Build Info:
Approximate Purchase Date: by end of Jan 2011
Budget Range: $1500-$2000
System Usage from Most to Least Important:
1) scientific software development for instrument control (the more memory the better)
2) development of CUDA algorithms (mainly FFT and other signal processing) for (1) - near future, not immediate
3) photoediting (no video editing ... yet)
4) general home computer use - web, backup-server, etc.
5) SETI and probably Folding@Home
6) probably never any gaming
Parts Not Required: small stuff like mouse, keyboard might be upgraded later, not of concern now
Preferred Website(s) for Parts:, but doesn't have to be if price/reputation is good
Country of Origin: US
Overclocking: Probably not
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor: single monitor - currently Dell 2001FP (20", 1600x1200), soon to be Dell U2410(1920x1200)

*** I'm open to opinion here. I guess the big question is if/when I will expand to have a dedicated GPU for CUDA (see Graphics Card section)

(Option 1) GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard : $209.99
-> item #N82E16813128423
--> combo deal with i7-950 CPU : $484.98

(Option 2) ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard : $234.99
-> item #N82E16813131641
--> combo deal with i7-950 CPU : $514.98

(Option 3) ASRock X58 Extreme 3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard : $209.99
-> item #N82E16813157189
--> combo deal with i7-950 CPU : $484.98

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950 : $289.99
-> item #N82E16819115211

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 : $29.99
- item #N82E16835103065

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL : $149.99 (w/ promo)
-> item #N82E16820231356
*** I'm thinking I don't need faster memory... quantity over speed

Graphics Card:
Here's where I might need some suggestions for my build, because I just don't know how "high end" to go. Do I do get:
1) a card that can do some entry-level CUDA as well as be system graphics card
2) a decent system card and then add a second card (near future?) specifically for CUDA
--> GTX 460? 470? 570?
--> or a lesser board ???

--> my main reason for CUDA is FFT and other signal processing algorithm use

*** Note: I can get a used (for 1 month) Gigabyte non-OC GTX-470 locally for $220

OS & Apps:
(Option 1) OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE90G 2.5" 90GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) : $199.99
-> item #N82E16820227611

(Option 2) OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) : 198.99 (w/ MIR)
-> item #N82E16820227551

(Option 3) Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) : $244.99
-> item #N82E16820148348

General Storage/RAID:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive : $139.98 ($69.99 x 2 drives)
-> item #N82E16822152185

Power Supply:
(Option 1) SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply : $129.99 (w/ promo code)
-> item #N82E16817151087

(Option 2) CORSAIR Professional Series AX750 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply : $152.99 (w/ 10% discount + MIR)
-> item #N82E16817139016

(Option 3) CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply : $89.99 (w/ promo code + MIR)

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case : $99.98
-> item #N82E16811119197
*** Note would actually like to get the one without the clear side window... price is same, just not available right now. (It was on sale last week I think)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM : $124.99 (w/ promo code)
-> item #N82E16832116758

Other Stuff:
Will also add a DVD drive/burner
Arctic silver paste
Anything else I missed???
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about home development build review comment suggestions
  1. Best answer

All those mobos are good ones. You must study and understand the PCIe Slot and Lane allocations, under various conditions of population/configuration ... THAT will be your guide to which is best, for you. This is not always simple (understanding OR deciding) ... If you are unsure, or have questions, just ask.

Because you are into systems and instrument, process and measurement, control and display type development, I would recommend going with a full tower and the larger 850W PSU ... You may want to do CUDA GANGING, at some point.

You are prolly gonna be poppin the hood, and swapping expansion peripherals, on a fairly regular basis ... The extra power and room is justified, and will be appreciated.

Get the 570 ... You can't go wrong !! ... You can always "double up" or let it ride shotgun to a Quadro (combined CUDA) if your requirements compel you to (but, only *IF*).

The RAM looks ok ...

I recommend one 90GB vertex2 and one 120GB ... this will allow two "storage cache pipes" and reduce flushing, due to background and concurrent processes.

You may wish to dedicate 4GB of DRAM to a RAM drive, for temp-files, but I only mention that, in passing ... just a little "seed for thot".

... In your position, I would be taking a VERY hard look at the specs, requirements, and the exact interfaces of any "specialized" hw or sw tools and peripherals ...

... Special attention to sw graphics requirements and certs ...

... Special attention to ANY PCIe bus interface peripherals, such as card-based "O"-scopes and I/O prototyping cards, and other "likely" card-based expansion options ... You want to guestimate your "maximum probable config", in terms of multi-GPU acceleration and balance those "lanes" against critical peripherals, in terms of lanes and bandwidth under various (possible/future) configurations.

The Hyper 212+ comes with good paste ... but get MX-2, if you want to buy some ...

I recommend RAID-1 ... unless you have some other, more specific requirement.

That is my "first salvo" ... I'll try to "look-in", on ya ... If I can.

Drop me a PM ... I might be able to respond before you pull the lever.

Sounds like "oodles" ... have fun !!
  2. Hi Alvin :)

Just the person I was looking for :) I obviously value your input to the "help me build MY system" process.

You got it right with the PCIe population/configuration understanding leading the way to deciding! And that's where I basically say "huh?" I guess my biggest problem is knowing what I really need. This is going to be my HOME computer which will be used for some work, but the real development is done AT work. The CUDA stuff is my pet project that management is giving me the WTF look about. My current work computer is an HP laptop which ain't bad but will never do CUDA either. Applications constantly tells me my code isn't fast enough and they need some FFT "magic" to get to the next level -- so I think CUDA.

So anyway I need something which makes my Dell Precision 530 look stupid, is potentially expandable, that I can do something wonderful with to make the pointy-haired management types think Steve is a happening guy :) On the other hand I personally don't want to spend the $$$ on a Tesla card for proof-of-concept, especially considering I can spell CUDA, but haven't written line 1 yet!

You have hit a key point that I'm agonizing over... how much power do I need for (possible) future expansion. Is 750W enough? You're thinking 850? Do you recommend a gold level power supply? FWIW, my boss has given me the green light for diving into CUDA and MIGHT spring for a board, but a Tesla is doubtful. I need to "play" first :) In the end I'm not sure if our final acquisition system we deliver will require a top end CUDA board. Our instrument has some custom hardware (embedded linux and such) to do a lot of the "hard" work, the PC that I'm essentially prototyping mainly just tells the hardware what to do in the first place (CORBA) , then gets the data from the hardware (CORBA) (sometimes does summation) and sends it to the GUI for processing/display/storage. One of my current jobs is to make the FFT and processing faster (real-time if Applications has anything to say!) So at the moment I don't foresee any other serious expansion board development going on -- it's beyond the scope of the group I manage. Let's just say the embedded stuff is going to stay embedded for a while :)

Who knows maybe we will need a top end, dedicated board, but for this system, I'm not sure if I ever will. So... that gets back to one of my main dilemmas ... Should I spring for a 570 if maybe 50% of the time my computer is doing anything, it ain't doing CUDA? It's tweaking photos and looking at the latest posts on tomshardware ;) For a proof-of-concept system should I get a dedicated CUDA board or not? Realistically when I'm doing the FFT, etc. I'm not displaying anything so computationally the GPU isn't trying to do 2 things.

We do use a good chunk of shared memory for data handling. In fact our WinXP 32-bit systems give us a headache of a bottleneck at the moment. We have considered the idea of a RAM drive but there's usually some other issue I need to solve and never get around to playing with things like that.

What are you thinking about when you said "I recommend one 90GB vertex2 and one 120GB ... this will allow two "storage cache pipes" and reduce flushing, due to background and concurrent processes."? Based on what I've said about our instrument, does this still apply? We pretty much have 1 process "channel" for data and until the end it has to stay in RAM. But I'm listening :)

The RAID-1 was what I was thinking with the spinners -- just cause you mentioned it in the other thread. I don't have an external RAID at home (yet) and really should have something.

Back to you space-man :)
  3. Well, if all you want to do is to develop and run basic source code, for CUDA, ... I mean, you could even go as low as a GT240 (but you should not) ...

I mean, we could build an Athlon-II Micro-ATX system with One GT240 for around $500 ... and that might (even) totally work, for what you want ... I really cannot suss how much GPU power you are going to need for whatever compiles or interpreters you might be using or what GPU power might be required for executing viable demonstrations of your proto-code.

In my position, I am loathe to "under build" you ... And, since you are all growed-up, I was assuming that you would have prefered a practical modicum of overkill.

I do know that there are 12 year olds building X58 systems with 570s, right here, just about every day, just so they can frag zombies more realistically.

But you really SHOULD be thinking like a GAMER ... sounds kinda weird, I know, but that is the sort of balance you prolly want.

I think I can tone it down, a bit, and still leave your options wide open, for any eventuality ... The FERMIS scale VERY well (almost 100%) so, "we" need a X16 + X16 mobo ... that is SLI capable, just in case you decide you need to "go there".

... I WOULD NOT go any lower than a 460 (1GB model) ... You could add a 2nd, if need be, and double your core-count ... later.

... the 2nd SSD would only be a luxury but, you really wont need RAID unless your development space is "that huge ... SSDs, DO NOT CRASH and I would feel MUCH safer having my (critical) data on a single SSD, than on any implementation of RAID.
    ... If you need more than 120 GB, for your development environment, then, yes ... RAID-1 (two drives, internal) would be "plenty safe" (with weekly BU to an external spinner).

You could get by with a 750W PSU and, NO, it does not need to be GOLD rated ... Bronze is just fine ... I would STILL recommend 850Watts, tho, as you might end up with a couple of major Quadro cards, in there, before you get a new mobo. 850Watts is BARELY enough for two big GPUs ... Even then, Power will govern your options ...
    ... Luckily, Power consumption is trending downward so ... I think an 850Watt PSU would be good ... A corsair would be more than adequate, but the SEASONIC X-series (being gold rated) would not use more power than your current needs dictate ... the fan does not even start turning until the load gets higher. So, it will drink like a 500W PSU, unless you use more power than that. ... Prolly a very worthy investment, to go with the Seasonic-X (whatever the wattage) because, it really will pay for it's self, thru better power AND thermal efficiency (household BTUs, etc.).

BUT ... You COULD put a NICE GPU in a really cheap (AMD) Micro-ATX mobo (which will only take ONE GPU and WON't SLI ... Slap an FAST Athlon-II X4Core CPU in there (For like $100) and GOBS (8GB) of cheap generic RAM ... You could throw the mobo away (or make a home theater out of it) if you need to get "all beefed up", later, after the sandy-2011 platforms come out, late this year (but you would not have to get a sandy, at that point ... just that you COULD).

Four fast cores and ONE nice FERMI, and 8GB of snappy DDR3 (1333c8 or c9) should get you in the ball park ... and a ~650watt PSU would be OVERKILL , for THAT config.

... Limp now ?? Pay Later ?? .... Your call !
  4. Quote:
    Well, if all you want to do is to develop and run basic source code, for CUDA, ...

Well, that and take over the world of course! Are you implying that my code is basic?? That's just downright mean :D I thought I was crunching some pretty serious data here. You know, like solving the riddles of chemical science and curing cancer and finding ET and stuff. At least that's what I tell everybody!

Yeah, I know, this build isn't as exciting or challenging for you as iliya77's or puff's ever-changing beast huh :) It even seemed a lot more "high end" to me for a while because of what I'm coming from, but twin Tesla-2050's just ain't in my budget. It's fun to start getting caught up on some of the latest-and-greatest again, even if I can't afford it.

So last night after more stress than necessary (just ask my wife) I bought a few items on my list that had sale prices that were going away and I didn't want to miss them.

1) G.SKILL Ripjaws (
    2) OCZ Vertex 2 SSD2 (
    3) Corsair AX850 (Gold) (

The PSU was a hard one for me for some reason... The 850W made sense just in case I want to crank up the GPUs later or simply add another HD (or 2) for extra crap that always seems to collect on my development systems... I decided on Gold because I like the idea of a more efficient PSU (no reason to heat the office if I don't have too!). In the end I cheaped out and got the Corsair instead of the Seasonic X-850 (cause it saved me $60). I'm generally not one to do that, I want the best I can get, simple as that. Especially when some of the Corsair reviewers bitched that the cables were too short for a full tower. WTF was I thinking? Too bad I got your email too late :(

As for MOBO I'm leaning towards the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R. From all the brain power I could put into that decision, the GA-X58-UD3R one seems not too big, not too small and all the exciting expansion possibilities... But since I couldn't decide...

Then I probably wasted a couple hours of good coffee drinking, feet up, watching the snow fall, time - looking at cases. Damn, I never realized there were so many options. The last time I bought a case it was basically a choice of black or beige, metal or plastic. Colored fans and side windows and racing trim and who knows what... JEEZ! I just want reasonable size, solid, cool and QUIET. The HAF-922 or 932 seem about right, the Lian Li stuff that "puff" likes are kinda more than I want to spend. But since I couldn't decide...

I know I should get the GTX-570 and I'm trying not to cheap out on that piece too. Of course there will be much more research, analyzing and agonizing on my part...

I see a trend here in my decision making processes... hmmm....

No matter what it's still going to be a lot better (faster, cooler, quieter) with your suggestions than if I went at this on my own. I really appreciate your time and thoughts!

Hopefully building it will be easier for me that buying it!

And since it's all going to end in Dec 2012 anyway - or so the rumors go - I might as well get something NICE, so I can frag a few zombies like the kiddies :)

Here's to lots fresh air in your spacesuit!
  5. Your purchaese were all "golden" (pun intended) ... "Gold is Gold", unless silence is worth the extra $60 (NOT!) ... The corsair ain't loud.

The UD3R is GRRREAT! ... BUT ... Keep in mind that it will only do X8 + X8 and you would have to cough-up another $100?? for an ASUS RAMPAGE, if you want to go X16 + X16, at some point !!

... There's really only 8 cases, in the known universe ... Four mid-towers and 4 full towers ... I can name six of them ... Two Start with "CoolerMaster HAF" and Two start with ANTEC (followed by some number that ends in "00") ...

So you are gonna want an i7-950 and a Hyper212+ cooler ...

... We need to count total drives vs. cables, at some point ... most all mobos come with 2 sata cables. ... (You would want 18" SATA slim right-angle connectors.

Here ... Maybe this would perk up your build ...

... Tell the Missus, "It's on SALE!".

As far as my EVA Suit goes ... I have a pressure-connector labelled "Fabreeze(TM)" ...

... Main thing I gotta watch out for is SPARKS ! ... We have lost some good people, that way.
  6. It's on sale !! Woo-hoo! Now I bet that little unit can do some serious FFTs :) I'll have to talk to my boss about that one -- either that or take out a second mortgage!

Glad to hear I "chose wisely" ... but all I did was pick between some options you've mentioned previously.

I thought I had this PCIe x16/x8 stuff figured out ... but do I?? Am I wrong that the UD3R will do 2 boards at x16 (i.e. dual 570s maybe?) as long as I put them in the right slots? But then if I use the any of the other 2 slots the x16 drops to x8 right? Truthfully I'm enough of a noob to not know what other boards I might want to put in there. I can imagine a second ethernet card, but that would go in the 1x. I guess if I don't know then I don't need it huh? :)

Yeah, the i7-950 and Hyper212+ are on the list...

I'm pretty sure I'll get 2 Spinpoint F3s -- I like the peace of mind of the RAID-1 for all the stuff that ain't on the SSD. 1 TB should be enough, but over time I might end up wanting another drive of some kind in there. But who knows, I might end up with a swappable setup.

Obviously a DVD R/W goes in there somewhere too...

Hmmmm... the case?!?!? I spent a little more time digging around when I got home from work.
    1) Gotta admit the Lian Li PC-V1020B looks pretty sweet, but even with a 20% off promo it still rings up at basically $200.
    2) Lian Li PC-A70F : not too bad, is it big enough? IIRC there were comments about trouble running the cables. Also a little $$ (and not on sale)
    3) HAF-922 : Not sure if I like the big vented space on the side (lots of dust in the office area).
    4) HAF-932 (Blue) looks pretty cool, but not sure if I want the size case.
    5) Antec 300 Illusion : is it big enough? good price :)
    6) Antec 600 : not bad, a little "gamey" for my liking, maybe without the side window...
    7) Antec 900 : kind of "gamey" too, but not as bad as the 600. Size ain't bad, hows the airflow?
    8) Antec 1200 : now we're getting BIG again. Probably more real estate than I want.

Decisions, decisions...
  7. sorry ... relax ... That mobo DOES do X16 + X16 ... my bad ... you are fine ...

... spilled coffee on this kb ... it's only working one minute out of five 1
  8. Dust .... hmmm ... forget HAF AND ANTEC !!!

PS ... That board only has SIX SATA ports ... no?

... SSD BOOT plus a DVDR ... That's TWO ... What else ? ... Two F3s in RAID-1 ?
  9. The dust isn't THAT thick, but there is a good collection over time on the vents of all my other computer stuff - more than at work for sure.
    I guess if I have to spring for the V1020 I can, but would rather not spend the $$ if I don't have too...
    Can I fit some filters in there and still have enough air flow?

The specs on the UD3R say: 8 3Gb/s and 2 6Gb/s and like I said, maybe only one more drive at some point, so I should be good.

Bummer about the keyboard and coffee... which is the bigger loss? ;)
  10. Well I guess that answers it then... :cry: :cry: Unless of course you're drinking this coffee:

I remember you recommended this kb in the "other" post. And although it looks sweet, I might have to cheap out for my new system though. I have a bad habit of getting a :fou: "little angry" :fou: when my code doesn't compile and have been known to "pound" the keys a little hard. On a $10 POS I can deal with it, on this one... not good.

I'm looking forward to more googles, reviews, and pricing for cases when I get home :)

Watch for sparks!
  11. nhrunner said:

Hmmmm... the case?!?!? I spent a little more time digging around when I got home from work.
    1) Gotta admit the Lian Li PC-V1020B looks pretty sweet, but even with a 20% off promo it still rings up at basically $200.
    2) Lian Li PC-A70F : not too bad, is it big enough? IIRC there were comments about trouble running the cables. Also a little $$ (and not on sale)
    3) HAF-922 : Not sure if I like the big vented space on the side (lots of dust in the office area).
    4) HAF-932 (Blue) looks pretty cool, but not sure if I want the size case.
    5) Antec 300 Illusion : is it big enough? good price :)
    6) Antec 600 : not bad, a little "gamey" for my liking, maybe without the side window...
    7) Antec 900 : kind of "gamey" too, but not as bad as the 600. Size ain't bad, hows the airflow?
    8) Antec 1200 : now we're getting BIG again. Probably more real estate than I want.

Decisions, decisions...

I've got an Antec 300 and it's a wonderful case for the price. Whether or not it's big enough depends on which video card(s) you're planning to get as well as if you plan to use additional GPU cooling. My GTX 460 fits just fine in the case. Otherwise if you find you need a little more space you could get the Antec 900 and replace the case fans with fans without LED's. It looks a lot classier that way and will have plenty of room for SLI cards.
  12. The LEDs can be disabled (I am told) ...

... That Coffee is some "Expensive Schidt!".
  13. Are those FFT algorythms vC++ modules, or how are they implemented/executed?

I am not familiar with what JOBS they apply to ... when/why do you open your FFT toolkit ??

Are you using Mathmatica and Wolfram Alpha ?
  14. Almost all our code is proprietary hacks built up over many years. We started with C back in the old SGI days with Irix 5.x, but have since moved to Windoz and migrated a few chunks of it to C++ (essentially no Micro$oft "visual" stuff cause we want to stay platform independent). There's also lots of Java in there just to keep it interesting. The FFT is currently one of the FFTW implementations... grab a REALLY big espresso and see

Why FFT? (1) cause I'm not smart enough to figure out how to use wavelet transforms to do the job and (2) other algorithms like maximum entropy take to long to get right (based on our input data). That little piece of NVidia hardware you linked to might help us out a little there though :)

I won't bore you with the details of our raw data that "requires" the use of an FFT. Suffice it to say that it is a free induction decay signal containing any number of frequencies between 5 MHz and low kHz. And sadly more noise across the spectrum than I would like :( The FFT is just the start of a fun and exciting processing chain (most of which is not very parallelizable so the CUDA won't help us everywhere). Sigh...

All this stuff runs on a relatively high end workstation (but nothing special) running XP, currently an HP Z400 --- unless I can come up with something a little more elegant :sol:
  15. Best answer selected by nhrunner.
  16. So did all that FFT stuff scare everyone away? Or did you just get bored like most people do after they ask what I do? :)

Well, after all the anguish and stress over making the right decisions and then trying to find the best prices/combo deals, here's what I got:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz (on promo/sale)

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) Model F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL (on promo/sale, but now even cheaper!)

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX-570

Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W CMPSU-850AX (on sale)

OS & Apps: OCZ Vertex 2 120G SSD (on sale)
    General Development Use & RAID 5: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB x3 (got these on sale, so I did 3/RAID-5 instead of 2/RAID-1)

Case: Lian Li PC-V1020B - I liked the look and features, and just couldn't resist the look and 20% off. I did however have some second thoughts when I took it out of the box and started digging into it... even did an RMA, but in the end I think I'm going to cancel the RMA and keep it. Nothing else "feels" right to me (although the PC-K60B is a very close second), but I think I made the right choice.

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus (with additional fan for push/pull)

DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS (on sale)

TOTAL COST: $1982.14 (under my hoped for $2000 budget)

My biggest thanks to Alvin and rest of the "Design Team" over on the "High End personal Workstation Guidance" thread: If you want info and haven't read through this 8-page (and growing) discussion, I highly recommend it!

@Alvin : just to top it all off I picked up one of your highly recommended but not so coffee-proof keyboards today at BestBuy. Thanks for the $15 off tip! I figure if I don't like it in the end I know who to sell it to :D

And now it's time for me to do some serious building :)

17. Looks like a great build ... PM me if you run into any snags !!

PS: THANKS for the points !

( EVEN if it takes an extra day ! )

Read EVERY SINGLE WORD of the mobo manual !!! it is KEY !! (to everything).

If you have ANY technical issues, be sure to consult this TS guide ...
    ... Everything that I know (and several other techs) is in it ...
    It *DOES* solve over 90% of probs with any new build (or failure).
    ... KEEP IT HANDY !!

PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems!

"System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist

This checklist is a compilation of troubleshooting ideas from many forum members. It's very important to actually perform every step in the checklist if you want to effectively troubleshoot your problem.

1. Did you carefully read the motherboard owners manual?

Also, this is our builder's guide ...

Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC
    Last Updated on November 6, 2010

This thread is to provide a step-by-step guide to how to build a PC. These are the general steps required in building a PC, which can be performed what sequence you feel best fits your needs.

Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product