ASUS P9X79 DELUXE - Common Building Errors

Common Building errors: :bounce:

1. (X3)/3-WAY ENGTX580/2DI/1536MD5 GTX 580's contacted vendor sold-out and are out of production; I found out after wasting my own time. 1200W minimum, and 3x6+2/(8)pin PCI-E plus 3x8 pin PCI-E. If you see them 'In Stock' then kudos for you.

2. Check your prices!!! Pricing, especially now, is like a 'bouncing bunny'; they must be good at time of contest closing. I had several of my build's prices change in the last day. ;)

3. ASUS P9X79 DELUXE can only boot with (x2) SSD's in RAID 0 and not (x3 or more) in SATA 6Gb/s. More than (2) drives in RAID 0 requires a RAID Card e.g. LSI PCIE x4/x8 SATA3 otherwise the SSD's will run 3Gb/s (300 MB/s). Boot drive RAID cannot cross SATA controllers.
Intel® X79 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller : {PCIe x1 or ~380MB/s}
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white

4. ASUS P9X79 DELUXE can only use (3) PCIE x8/x16 slots, and the other x8/x16 slots is off i.e. PCIE 0x (aka N/A)

5. ASUS P9X79 DELUXE has only been tested with OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 for boot drives, and RevoDrive's will not RAID 0 for boot drives though can be software RAID 0 in OS.

6. ASUS (X3)/3-WAY GPU's Triple width GPU's wont fit unless blocked or LN2 pots, nice try though: MATRIX GTX580 P/2DIS/1536MD5, ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5, or EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5.

7. Corsair H100 requires 2X120 case venting or won't fit/work.

8. PSU problems:
(a) under powered - use 100% TPD/100% Load (especially for 'Fastest' scenarios -> http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
(b) inadequate PCIE power connectons {GTX 590 2X8-pin/GPU, GTX 580 6-pin + 8-pin/GPU <or> 2X8-pin/GPU, HD 6970 2X8-pin/GPU}

9. No 2-WAY Crossfire will work without separte purchase of an 'extended' CF Bridge.

There's a significant number of builds posted that simply will not work, and the 'corrections' will in many instances exceed the build cost limits.

Hope this is helpful! Good Builds & Good Luck!

--

I am not a Judge or in anyway 'Official' to the contest.
20 answers Last reply
More about asus p9x79 deluxe common building errors
  1. Thanks for all the tips jaquith, I was hopefully able to make the appropriate changes to my build in order to get it to work.

Although... I didn't see anywhere in the rules that says the build has to work or is even possible(joking).
  2. Trust me they'll eliminate systems that don't work, or IMO especially obvious errors. Tom's are Pros...

Good Luck! :)
  3. Quote:
    9. No 2-WAY Crossfire will work without separte purchase of an 'extended' CF Bridge.

Quote:
    CrossFire users should find the appropriate bridges packaged with their cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p9x79-deluxe-g1-assassin2-x79-ud5-extreme9,3086-4.html
    I would think for sure ASUS 6xxx cards would have the correct bridges.

This said without an extended bridge 2 cards will be on 16x/8x and not receive the full 16x/16x of the blue 16x slots.
  4. According to the info at hand there's only a long SLI bridge, but not a long for CF. Example the ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 comes with only a 'short' bridge.

See -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121430 look at the photo/description. 'Should' is not 'does.'
  5. jaquith said:
    According to the info at hand there's only a long SLI bridge, but not a long for CF. Example the ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 comes with only a 'short' bridge.

See -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121430 look at the photo/description. 'Should' is not 'does.'

That is to place the cards on the blue slots and the 6970 will work fine in the 8x slot. If I were using 2 6990's I would strongly suggest the bridge be purchased. This kind of gets into which cards will get performance hits on the 8x slots. If you mean for the 3 slotted cards then yes but again no as the 3 slotted card can be placed in the 8x slot and dual slot card on the blue x16 slot will work. Only using 2x 3 slotted cards could possible mean a must have for the extended bridge.
  6. The HD 6970, for example, is a triple width GPU and according to the manual you're stuck to the PCIe 3.0 x16 _4 slot. I'm not going to second guess the manual.

This has been a forum 'gripe' that the CF bridge wasn't included.

I'm just the messenger nothing more.

7. The one you link to is triple slot but ASUS makes a dual slot 6970.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121417

The manual doesn't state any limitation on the 8x slots. But for xfire is does have quad.
    Quote:
    Supports AMD® Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology

I would find it odd to think ASUS would put a PCI-E slot on the motherboard which can not work. Its very possible that 2x 3 slots cards would work but I wouldn't want to risk the money to test this without least having access to an extender.

The manual does state for better performance only.
    Quote:
    In CrossFireX™ or SLI™ mode, use the PCIe 3.0 x16_1 and PCIe 3.0 x16_4 slots for PCI Express x16 graphics cards to get better performance.

In chapter 5 of the manual goes on to say chapter 2 is recommended. Chapter 2 is where your information comes from. This is a far cry from required.
    Quote:
    refer to Chapter 2 in this user manual for the locations of the PCIEX16 slots recommended for multi-graphics card installation.

The manual says the xfire bridge comes with the video cards.
    Quote:
    CrossFireX bridge (bundled with graphics cards)
  8. Good Information Jaquith!!
  9. @elbert - You're preaching to the Choir here, and if you used the 2-slot HD 6970 (ASUS EAH6970/2DI2S/2GD5) in 3-WAY CF then the CF bridge for those EOL GPU's would be fine. However, in 2-WAY even with the (EAH6970/2DI2S/2GD5) the reports I've seen stated it requires the extended CF Bridge. I saw the post, and no I don't feel like finding it again.

If it's a problem then change your build before Joe closes the post.

@Tecmo34 - Thanks, it took a while to sort-out the 3DMark scores per GPU + environment.
  10. jaquith said:
    @elbert - You're preaching to the Choir here, and if you used the 2-slot HD 6970 (ASUS EAH6970/2DI2S/2GD5) in 3-WAY CF then the CF bridge for those EOL GPU's would be fine. However, in 2-WAY even with the (EAH6970/2DI2S/2GD5) the reports I've seen stated it requires the extended CF Bridge. I saw the post, and no I don't feel like finding it again.

If it's a problem then change your build before Joe closes the post.

@Tecmo34 - Thanks, it took a while to sort-out the 3DMark scores per GPU + environment.

My build is by the book 3-way all 2 slot cards. Doesn't require the longer brigdes. Just wanting to point out to those with 2 cards in some cases your number 9 could not be totally correct. Again your 2x 3 slotted card setup example could most likely be correct. I'm here just to help others also and your other points I see no problems with so really not a big deal.
  11. I'm pretty comfortable what I posted is indeed correct -- even my #9 as stated "No 2-WAY Crossfire will work without separte purchase of an 'extended' CF Bridge."

I considered everything, heck I even priced-out and put together several LN2 builds. Oddly, I only posted (1) that way.
  12. Sometimes not follow our own rules can turn out bad. I can't understand you suggesting number 6 then posting to use one in a 3x setup.
    Quote:
    The only budget limited workaround is to use (1) ASUS GTX triple width, bottom position (PCIe 3.0_4) mixed with non-ASUS GPUs. I will not nor will I ever purposely mislead anyone.

Depending on the case wiring the gpu could get jacked up and risk damage. Now many not knowing any better could try this with bad results.
  13. Nonsense. I assume the quote is from the contest. In particular you would have a 'real' issue if you soldered the protection points on the MATRIX and/or Voltage Modding + reference GPU and/or GPU's with different vRAM sizes (lowest/slowest wins CF/SLI) the worst case end result is throttling the faster GPU. Ideally, it's not my #1 choice but it does indeed 100% work, works fine, and guaranteed to will beat anything else in the 3DMark11. Otherwise it would defeat the entire idea of CF/SLI for everyone.

Keep in mind if, once, you test multiple GPU's none of them perform the same -- even identical ENGTX580/2DI/1536MD5 -- it would be nice but it'll never happen. Ditto with SSD's, CPU's, HDD's, RAM or anything slowest wins.

What I meant by that quote if I posted the ENGTX580/2DI/1536MD5 ($490~$any price) and claiming 3-WAY SLI; it's an integrity issue. I contacted ALL the re-seller's:
    1. None of them had any.
    2. No ETA or Delivery date
    3. EOL Product

Using EVGA + ASUS + MSI ... Gigabyte you name it ... reference GPU's in SLI (or CF) with the same vRAM and clocks set is not an issue.

Together these are 100% fine on air:
    ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB
    Graphics Card: EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB

Ideally, Block/Pot the MATRIX: 1. Easy LN2 voltage mods, 2. 19 Phase and 1400MHz+!!! It's the #1 LN2 GTX 580 GPU bar none.,
  14. Wasn't talking about the gpu's working together but the case connections under the gpu being a problem. The problem is the 3 slot GPU in the 4th pci-e slot covering the motherboard connections for the case. The 3 slot GPU will block access to the bottom usb and case connections. The risk of these connections jacking the back of the card up during operation tho is a big risk. This is of course if your able to get the GPU to set after connecting the case and usb wires.

Modding the card to reduce its size wouldn't stand in the fit for use. Parts need for water cooling or LN2 costs would need be added.
  15. It's done all of the time and no need for any 'modding' or 'risk', you're forgetting the height of the PCIe socket itself. The connections underneath are folded over downward and work perfectly.

Examples, there's plenty more images out there but here's a couple:

16. jaquith said:
    It's done all of the time and no need for any 'modding' or 'risk', you're forgetting the height of the PCIe socket itself. The connections underneath are folded over downward and work perfectly.

Examples, there's plenty more images out there but here's a couple:
    http://media.bestofmicro.com/L/I/244422/original/25105_416029320420_39537220420_5585939_6103792_n.jpg
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2007/11/3-way-sli//3-way-sli_03.jpg

No the PCIe sockets height wasn't forgot. Your risk depends on the cases wires. Not all cases will have wires soft or flexible enough to bend over and stay. Some cases makers may have longer plastic connecters for the required power on and others. You would really need to research the case to ensure this working out.
    http://biorobots.cwru.edu/server/howto/buildcomp/case/caseconnectors.jpg
    http://biorobots.cwru.edu/server/howto/buildcomp/case/caseconnectors2.jpg

Most case makers use thick not very flexible USB connectors so without question front USB could be a concern.
  17. You need, should, know where the front panel connections are located they're not directly underneath the GPUs!

The 'Front Panel' location is in the bottom right-hand corner. Directly beneath the bottom GPU are the AUX S/PDIF, (2) LED, onboard start/cmos/reset, and a plethora of USB connections -- 100% fine to cover.

This isn't my first build with 3/4-WAY CF/SLI -- it's fine! Refer to 2-2 of the manual, the MOBO is designed purposely for those items to be covered by a GPU = NO RISK or NO PROBLEMS! :)
  18. The length of the 580 will cover the edge of the motherboard. The video card is 11.5" and the motherboard is 9.6" so yes the card will cover them. The connectors will be underneath. While the motherboard manual can allow this its just as important if the case wires allow for bending. This involve 2 component so just the motherboard isn't enough.
    I have build thousands of PC and these things often end badly. I can see you often come with bad information so Ill let it go here.
  19. Maybe 'thousands' of non 3/4-WAY builds. Whereas, I have built 'hundreds' of high-end without a problem of the GPU hanging-over the bottom of the MOBO.

This is becoming a silly argument, Google and look at the 10's of thousands of builds with the GPU's over the edge of the MOBO.
  20. Hello guyz, its an old post, but i wanted to ask as an owner of a p9x79 deluxe, where to place 2 980 ti cards that i m getting? Asus recommends the 1st and 3d slot for 2 card configuration to have better performance.
    I was wondering if for better aircooling 1st and 4th do the trick, but im not sure about a. performance and b. if gpu fits so close to psu. thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus NAS / RAID