Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ati GPU rendering 3dsmax ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2010 3:47:07 AM

hello

I am new to these forums, but i looked around and did not find much on what i am looking for, anyway here it goes.

I am a computer animation student and have 2 ati 5870's. I have just seen how much faster CUDA is than CPU rendering and i am totally blown away by what i have seen(20x faster!?), having spent £660 on these 2 ATI cards has made me a very sad panda indeed but i am wondering if there is something like CUDA for ATI ? I read something called CAL but i dont know how to get 3ds max to use my GPU's to render rather than my CPU ?

If anyone could help i will be very very happy as 20hour + render times for a 1920x1080 10s animation is not fun lol
November 9, 2010 4:24:26 AM

i could be wrong... but i dont think cuda helps with the speed of rendering times in 3ds. I know that it helps speed transcoding and having your viewports run at a faster frame rate.. i just dont think it helps much with the actual batch render process. Cuda on the other hand appears to help significantly with After effects.
November 9, 2010 5:08:55 AM

Dudeguy87 said:
i could be wrong... but i dont think cuda helps with the speed of rendering times in 3ds. I know that it helps speed transcoding and having your viewports run at a faster frame rate.. i just dont think it helps much with the actual batch render process. Cuda on the other hand appears to help significantly with After effects.

No there is a renderer called iray for 3dsmax that uses CUDA support to specifically render way faster, but its not support by ATI cards afaik and just wondered if there was an ATI renderer like iray.
Related resources
November 9, 2010 4:09:12 PM

ATI's FireGL/FirePro/etc GPUs offer drivers to better support 3dsmax (and other pro apps) than with consumer cards (such as the 5870). The workstation GPUs are simply better suited (and supported) to support those sorts of application. Nvidia's CUDA is slightly differnt, but even with them the Quadro's are better at those taks than their consumer GPU counterparts.
February 13, 2011 6:02:45 PM

I am researching this at the very moment and just today was ready to order an Nvidia card for gpu rendering. However, OpenCL is an open source standard which is used by ATI and can also be used by Nvidia, unlike Cuda being Nvidia only. Vray RT uses the OpenCL standard for GPU rendering in 3DS Max, so I'm researching whether Vray RT is able to use ATI gpus for rendering. I haven't found out yet, but this is a start and maybe you have an answer by now. If you do go ahead and post here what you've found out. Looking good so far for future OpenCL and ATI rendering, and maybe its already working.
March 11, 2011 2:44:52 PM

spacemanjupiter said:
I am researching this at the very moment and just today was ready to order an Nvidia card for gpu rendering. However, OpenCL is an open source standard which is used by ATI and can also be used by Nvidia, unlike Cuda being Nvidia only. Vray RT uses the OpenCL standard for GPU rendering in 3DS Max, so I'm researching whether Vray RT is able to use ATI gpus for rendering. I haven't found out yet, but this is a start and maybe you have an answer by now. If you do go ahead and post here what you've found out. Looking good so far for future OpenCL and ATI rendering, and maybe its already working.

I just bought a Firepro v7800 and im trying to use with v-ray RT. Still no progress. V-ray RT doesn´t recognize ati´s open cl. I have tried all drivers and versions. If someone find something, please post here. Thanks.
January 23, 2012 7:09:16 PM

mvlazz said:
I just bought a Firepro v7800 and im trying to use with v-ray RT. Still no progress. V-ray RT doesn´t recognize ati´s open cl. I have tried all drivers and versions. If someone find something, please post here. Thanks.

Vray rt 2.10.01 works with new catalyst 12.11 but is not much better than my cpu with radeon 7970, CPU 7600k.

Looks like vray have optimised for Nvidia, quie dissapointing since ATI/AMD is really going great guns with Apples opencl stuff.

The best results I have seen is with luxrender on 4x Radeon 7970's blows everything away by almost double!!!
January 23, 2012 7:27:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!