Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hey,

I am looking, and struggling to find, some decent and affordable 1866MHz memory for my new A8-3850.

I am from England and on all the trusted websites I know from here, there is basically nothing. I know that the Llano chips only supports up to 1866MHz speeds and I also know there is a tangible benefit for buying memory of this speed over 1600MHz, more so than buying say 1600MHz memory with low latency.

So ideally I am looking for 1866MHz @ 1.5v and CL8, but CL9 would do fine too.

My question is, can I just get 2000Mhz mem and clock it down? Will this still be supported by the chip? I know I could overclock some 1600MHz speed mem but I don't want to raise the voltages.

cheers.

I realize that CPU makers tell you the maximum memory speeds like 1333MHz or 1866MHz but the memory CAN be run faster than that. You could get a 2133MHz kit and run it at 2133MHz, you would just need to make sure it isn't a high voltage kit to lessen the load on the rest of the system.

There is a tangible benefit for buying faster RAM, but only with LIano and even then it is mostly for the IGP of LIano.

I don't know if you can use newegg to buy stuff in the UK (Although I bet you can)
but it is all I tend to use. Newegg a 1.25volt 1600MHz kit. You could overclock it to 1.35v for 1866MHz or even 1.5v for 2133 or so MHz if you don't mind overclocking. This would be cheaper than buying a 1.5v 2133MHz kit. there are also some 1866MHz kits on newegg. Either way I suggest you don't go over 1.5v once you are running the computer and will probably need to manually set the RAM speeds and possibly timings.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I want the benefits as I will be using the IGP quite a lot. This system is intended to be an HTPC which I can play a few games on too.

I cant get Newegg stuff in the UK, but could you link me some of the modules you suggested? I might be able to get them over here too.

I have no problem with overclocking just didn't want to be raising the volts too much to save power. If I could get a cheap 1600MHz kit that I can oc with less than 1.5v that would be great :) Wouldn't want to go higher than CL9 either.

Maybe something like this?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-056-GS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

Thanks for the reply :)

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I want the benefits as I will be using the IGP quite a lot. This system is intended to be an HTPC which I can play a few games on too.

I cant get Newegg stuff in the UK, but could you link me some of the modules you suggested? I might be able to get them over here too.

I have no problem with overclocking just didn't want to be raising the volts too much to save power. If I could get a cheap 1600MHz kit that I can oc with less than 1.5v that would be great :) Wouldn't want to go higher than CL9 either.

Maybe something like this?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-056-GS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

Thanks for the reply :)

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hmmm, not much proof that the G.Skill Sniper RAM will oc that well. Most reviews I have read say it doesn't oc well at all!

Whats the max safe mem voltages for Llano, is it still 1.65v?