Sign in with
Your question
Closed

5870 + GTS450 for CUDA acceleration of CS5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2010 6:03:59 AM

Hi everyone!

I pump out a huge number of gameplay videos for Natural Selection 2. I currently use a 5870, a 1090T, Win7, 8Gb 1333, and 890GX mobo to do this. I want to cut my render speeds dramatically, and to that end I'm interested in a bit of a frankenstein system upgrade.

I am about to upgrade from Adobe CS4 to CS5, and want to take advantage of the new Mercury engine. If you don't know what Mercury is, don't worry, you can probably still help me with my question.

I am aware that
1. It is possible to use the GTS 450 to run Mercury hardware acceleration.
2. It is possible to use a nVidia CUDA card in a system that uses an ATI card as the primary display adapter, for PhysX.
3. That to do (2) you need windows 7 - Which I have.

My question is: Has anyone ever succeeded in using a nVidia CUDA card to accelerate Mercury in a system using an ATI card as the primary adapter.

If not, can anyone comment on the liklihood that CUDA is available to receive instructions for applications other than PhysX. Because Mercury acceleration runs on CUDA, like PhysX, I am hoping that it accesses the card in the same way.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Best solution

a c 218 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 4:04:38 PM

I would assume that since you have to load the nvidia drivers to support PhysX with an ATI card, that you will be able to do as you propose. Since the system will be aware that a CUDA capable processor is installed, it is logical to assume it will work. Of course, logic can be flawed. Sounds like an interesting experiment. Good luck!
November 9, 2010 5:53:40 PM

Nah, doesn't work. Same boat you are in but had a 4850. Bought my first Nvidia card just to do this and game too. Bought the MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi). Got it for 279.99 because of a promotion where you get 10% off today and then I got that rebate to send in.
Score
Related resources
November 10, 2010 12:22:12 AM

Why didn't it work PEBKAC? Any ideas? Did you manage to get PhysX to work? And a 470 for CUDA with a 4850 primary... wouldn't it be ideal to just kill the 4850 and primary the 470?

COLGeek I love your optimism... Haha!
Score
a c 218 U Graphics card
November 10, 2010 1:36:43 AM

Jermmau said:
Why didn't it work PEBKAC? Any ideas? Did you manage to get PhysX to work? And a 470 for CUDA with a 4850 primary... wouldn't it be ideal to just kill the 4850 and primary the 470?

Pessimism never fixed anything. Check this link. Interesting.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/632669?tstart=0
Score
November 10, 2010 9:32:38 AM

It turns out impossible is nothing. It works.

After failing the physics hack, I was giving up. I connected two monitors, one to the 450 and one to the 5870. In this situation did not allow GPU Mercury. Connecting both to the 450 allowed it. After playing around with Mercury on the 450 for awhile I decided I wanted to play BC2 for a while, and pulled out one monitor and put it in the 5870. When the screen came back on line, the MPE indicator bars were still positive in premiere. Upon trying playback I realised that despite the 5870 being connected, MPE was working. To be sure, I deleted the cache and tried rendering on the CPU about 5 times: Every time I pulled one monitor out of the 450 and put it in the 5870 MPE still worked.

So there you go. To enable MPE GPU in a hybrid system:

1. Plug your monitor into the Nvidia GPU and start Premiere Pro.
2. Enable GPU acceleration in project settings
3. Disconnect the monitor from the Nvidia GPU and put it in the ATI GPU
4. Continue using Premiere Pro
5. Voila, ATI primary adapter with a secondary Nvidia GPU providing hardware MPE acceleration.
Score
a c 218 U Graphics card
November 10, 2010 11:08:27 AM

Jermmau said:
It turns out impossible is nothing. It works.

After failing the physics hack, I was giving up. I connected two monitors, one to the 450 and one to the 5870. In this situation did not allow GPU Mercury. Connecting both to the 450 allowed it. After playing around with Mercury on the 450 for awhile I decided I wanted to play BC2 for a while, and pulled out one monitor and put it in the 5870. When the screen came back on line, the MPE indicator bars were still positive in premiere. Upon trying playback I realised that despite the 5870 being connected, MPE was working. To be sure, I deleted the cache and tried rendering on the CPU about 5 times: Every time I pulled one monitor out of the 450 and put it in the 5870 MPE still worked.

So there you go. To enable MPE GPU in a hybrid system:

1. Plug your monitor into the Nvidia GPU and start Premiere Pro.
2. Enable GPU acceleration in project settings
3. Disconnect the monitor from the Nvidia GPU and put it in the ATI GPU
4. Continue using Premiere Pro
5. Voila, ATI primary adapter with a secondary Nvidia GPU providing hardware MPE acceleration.

Very cool. BTW, how is your rendering performance now?
Score
November 10, 2010 6:50:27 PM

Jermmau said:

I didn't even read your question right about two different cards being in there. Hell no, I would never have a 470 and a 4850 in my machine at the same time. That would punch my power supply in the face and make it cry, besides making the OS go "WTF". Then everything would melt due to driver conflicts and ATI 4850 card's FAN speed control not kicking. Fire would ensue.

Sorry for the confusion and it seems you made a work around.
Score
November 19, 2010 11:25:56 PM

Best answer selected by Jermmau.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 20, 2010 1:11:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!