Sign in with
Your question

ATI vs. NVIDIA??? Updated competition.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2010 6:48:55 AM

Who has the ball in there court as of right now? I know ATI has there new 6xxx series, but Nvidia's coming back with the GTX 580. Im a die-hard ATI fan but everytime ATI comes out with something new, Nvidia comes right back to keep things competitive,lol.....even though the 5970 is unmatched in every area possible, literally the best single video card in the galaxy,lol. At the end of the day, which is better? Honestly.....No fan-boyism,lol. Which has better drivers? And of course, Crossfire vs. SLI? Nvidia's last graphics giant, the 480, ran extremely hot and was more power hungry than saddam hussein, lol :-P, and in SLI it was even worse! Great and powerful card, but pushed everything to the absolute limit with heat and power.

I love ATI, been with them since day one, but what's with there drivers? Nvidia's drivers are said to be alot better. And, why does SLI scale better than crossfire sometimes? What's better, Crossfire or SLI? ATI's drivers or Nvidia's??? And, Which Overclocks better?

Sorry, i know alot of questions :-P

a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 7:06:23 AM

Well, I've been with both Nvidia and Ati, but albeit not the same extent.
My first card was the first Geforce, the 256 I think it was called? 32mb of RAM, it performed amazingly for its time and I got tonnes of use out of it for a few years! It ran better than some Geforce 2s! I next went to an ATI 9250, which was an amazing jump for me! This card KILLED all the games that were out at the time and was amazingly bottlenecked by the rest of my system. There were some issues in some games such as San Andreas, I don't think the drivers were too hot at that period. After that I moved on to an Nvidia card, the 5200. That was horrible, abysmal. Games were horrid, it was quite noisy and I was not impressed at all. Off I went and got a new system with an 8600GT, and after the rock solid performance of this card Nvidia was back in my favour! That card is only going to replaced this year, and has weathered well. I moved on to a 9600GT, which was very good but didn't have the wow factor of its predecessors. My next upgrade was going to be an ATI card, as in my opinion they were the winners of 2010 and their products in the 4xxx and 5xxx series are incredible. However, fate handed me a GTS 450 instead and I am currently rocking it and it is pleasantly surprising me every day. Who knows what the future will bring, but while the two manufacturers are at each other's heels the only people who can win are we the consumers!
m
l
November 9, 2010 12:26:50 PM

You seem more like a troll dipankar.

From the benches looks like nvidia will take the lead with the 580 (although like usual that really depends on the game as the 5970 did take it on some)

Nvidia wins with sli hands down. There can be no arguement in that. (as much as I hate to say it)

I personally have never had issues with ati drivers (hell I've had more issues with nvidia drivers).

Now when the high end of the amd 6 series comes out they very will could take the lead right back.

But the bottom line is what do you prefer amd or nvidia.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 9, 2010 12:46:16 PM

A quick glance shows there is already a similarly titled topic on the first page, and there is ALWAYS a similarly titled topic on the first page, and it's almost always someone desperate for attention trying to get people riled up on one side or another. They both make a wide variety of products and a brand vs brand comparison without a specific product in mind is totally subjective and pointless in a technical forum.
m
l
November 9, 2010 1:38:58 PM

benski said:
A quick glance shows there is already a similarly titled topic on the first page, and there is ALWAYS a similarly titled topic on the first page, and it's almost always someone desperate for attention trying to get people riled up on one side or another. They both make a wide variety of products and a brand vs brand comparison without a specific product in mind is totally subjective and pointless in a technical forum.

dude, what the hell are you guys talking about?!!! i dont know much about this site, i just thought id ask a simple question as of which is better right now with all the new cards coming out, 6000 series/580 etc.....u must have had some horrible experience with trolls on here b4 before ur over there nervous as can be and bighting ur nails!!!!! im asking a simple question!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 1:57:18 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/301162-33-nvidia-play...

this is what they are tlaking abiout about the same topic, but yea there is always an open topic like this eventually eyefinity or some other fanboy chimes in adn starts the name calling. its not your fault if you didn't know and i don't think you were trying to flame, just a general inquiry. but your answers of most people's opinion will be in this thread ;) 
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 9, 2010 3:25:55 PM

I don't care who is in the lead. I base my purchase based on the following criteria:

1. Performance
2. Price
3. Power Consumption
4. Specific features whether it's nvida's CUDA / 3D or ATI's built-in audio chip on the card / EyeFinity as examples.

m
l
!