Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HD 3850 as physx card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2010 7:35:26 AM

Hey Guys,
I've had this thought running through my head and can't find a definate answer anywhere.
I have a 460GTX running in my system and an old HD3850 512 sitting around doing nothing. Is it possible, and would it be of any benefit, to install the 3850 in my second pci-e slot to use like a physx card?
If so, would it require modded drivers?
Also, you wouldn't need to connect the card to the other vid card, right? I never used the old Physx cards from Agea, but I don't think you connect any monitor to that card, do you?
So, that last question is, If it would work, how do I set it up? Do I just instal the card in the open slot and select it for the physx acceleration or does it need to be connected to a monitor?
I think you all see where I"m going. Any help would be great. I could just give it a try, but thought I'd ask first since I don't have a bunch of spare time to tinker with these ideas too much. I have too many builds going for other people that I have to get out and mine's functional now. Just a cool thought I had and thought I'd ask.
Thanks in advance for any help.

i5 760 @ 3.2ghz
hyper 212+/AS5
gigabyte p55a-ud3
2x2gb ripjaw 1600 7-8-7
zotac 1Gb 460gtx
750watt Antec earthwatts - 80+ cert. - semi modular
Storm Sniper case
and of course my lonely hd3850 512mb card from ATI

More about : 3850 physx card

November 9, 2010 8:05:32 AM

The guide is actually about how to use an nVidia card as a PhysX card, when your main card is ATI. He wants to use an ATI card as PhysX, which is not possible.
Score
Related resources
November 9, 2010 8:51:29 AM

lucas1024 said:
The guide is actually about how to use an nVidia card as a PhysX card, when your main card is ATI. He wants to use an ATI card as PhysX, which is not possible.

Well, that's correct. I thought I read a thread elsewhere saying it was possible with 3rd party drivers, maybe? Thought someone else might have tried it here out of boredom...same reason I'm thinking about it. ;)  Why waste a good GPU?

Maybe one of you can make more out of this thread than I can?

Let me know. Just thinking creatively here, try a Frankenstein machine. :sol: 
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 12:14:03 PM

ATI cards do not support physX of any kind, in any way shape or form at all. No go.
The hacks allow you to use a nvidia card as a physx card behind an ATI gpu. But it would be a really stupid thing to do in your case, use a 3850 as your main card and a 460 as a secondary physx card. The 460 by itself is twice the card as the 3850.
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 12:35:07 PM

jitpublisher said:
ATI cards do not support physX of any kind, in any way shape or form at all. No go.
The hacks allow you to use a nvidia card as a physx card behind an ATI gpu. But it would be a really stupid thing to do in your case, use a 3850 as your main card and a 460 as a secondary physx card. The 460 by itself is twice the card as the 3850.

Agree'd, something along those lines, you would only get true performance if you had the 3850 running as the primary gpu, with something like an 8600gt running as the secondary for physx.
The 460 is a powerful card, so if you used it as a physx only card, then you wouldn't be doing much, and probably get worse framerate then the 3850 with the same game on medium settings.
Score
November 9, 2010 2:26:20 PM

Best answer selected by jmwpom3.
Score
November 9, 2010 2:27:42 PM

Ok, thnks guys. I knew I could do it go with the 3850 as main & 460 as physx, but no way I was considering that. I must have just misread the other forum.
Thanks for the replies.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 9:14:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!