How do you buy a modem?

pdiffley

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I am not so much asking how to buy a modem but more how to know which modem to buy. I have been upgrading our home network and wanted to get a new modem but was not sure what things to look for and how to know what would be compatible with with what I already have. I have a DSL Connection and a netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router. Any help would be great.

What is your DSL service speed from your ISP - 1.5Mbps, 3.0Mbps, etc? If your modem already gets that, then upgrading wouldn't make much sense as long as it maintains a reliable connection to the ISP.

I only tried DSL for a couple of weeks when I moved to a new house and the cable company dropped the ball on their installation appt. It was just OK back then but I probably would have gotten tired of waiting on all those service pack and other large downloads, and maybe even unacceptable for streaming HD video.

Anyway, my 10-yr-old cable modem started constantly resetting on me so I went out earlier in the week and got a Motorola surfboard cable modem, which has worked flawlessly for 2 whole days now :p.

I'll post to this thread again in 9 years and 363 days from now when it passes the 10-yr mark like the old one did :D.