zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I know that the I5 2400 is not an unlocked processor and that it won't get a crazy overclock, but I have an Asus P8P67-M Pro motherboard and I would like to over clock it to 3.99ghz, because that is where Intel put the cap on the overclocking ability. If I were to do this how would I go about it, and if anyone knows if this is just Intel saying it is capped at 3.99 and it can be pushed further please tell me.

You made two wrong choices for overclocking:
1. The i5-2400 CPU. It can only be overclocked +400MHz Turbo. That means a maximum of 3.8GHz on one core only (3.7GHz with two active cores, 3.6GHz with three active, and 3.5GHz with all four active).
2. The P8P67-M Pro mainboard. The two Micro-ATX boards that ASUS sells really suck for overclocking.

You have to go into the UEFI and set the Turbo multipliers manually to get the maximum +400MHz Turbo overclock.

Where did you get 3.99GHz from? I haven't seen anything that says that speed is the limit. It would be nice if that was the case, but from what I've read it's not.

Edit: Why are you even overclocking at all? Most programs and games won't be any faster.

Not at all. You don't need to overclock to have an awesome gaming computer. Sandy Bridge CPUs kick butt at games at their stock speeds. Overclocking doesn't actually add much performance to gaming unless you have a low-power CPU anyway. Yours isn't low-power by any means.

We overclock because it's fun, not because it adds performance to whatever else we do on the computer. Yes, some people overclock to increase their E-peen with bigger benchmark scores, but that doesn't translate to faster gaming with real programs.

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
thanks for your honesty, as I am a first time computer builder, its hard to read about computers without someone talking about oc'ing a component. I thought it was an understood fact that people who gamed needed to oc to a certain point. I guess this makes my build that much easier then :D

azrul

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Just wondering cause I also got a rig that overclocked to 105 BCLK and the multiplier was set to a decent x36. So by from what your saying, will we find any issue immediately after setting the clock or overtime? I have been using the settings for quite a while now and had run prime95 stability test for 24 hours as well. Seems to be stable.

Clint_NZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

I think you'd notice a bad BCLK overclock straigth away or within a few days. If it hasn't blue screened for no reason I reckon you're fine. What motherboard did you use for the 5MHz base clock increase? I'm pretty sure it doesn't do damage over time, if its gonna throw a tantrim you'll know.

vikashrai

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013