Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer turns on, then off, then on, then off...

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2011 8:33:22 PM

I have had my computer now for around 3 years. It was recently running a game slow, so after looking into it, I saw my GPU was at 70 C. I decided to reapply thermal paste, and clean all the dust out. However, when trying to boot the computer up, it just turns on, the fans start spinning, the harddrive starts, then it shuts off, then it starts again, and shuts off; repeating the process. I can hear a click just before it turns off, coming from the hard drive.

When re-installing, my GPU fan one of the legs broke (I hate those hand-twists), however I do not think that is the problem, because my heatsink would over-heat and force the shut down, rather than this. I checked to make sure I installed the heat sink properly, and it seems to be fine....I suppose I could have gotten some past on the wrong side of the heat sink, but I am not sure that would cause this.

I wanted to spend about 1,500 upgrading my computer anyway, but I was just curious if anyone could let me know what possibly could be going on.

Thank you for taking your time to read this, and help out. My specs are below...let me know if you have any good upgrade ideas too:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

LITE-ON LightScribe Black 20X DVD±R Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write Black IDE Model LH-20A1H-186

Antec NeoPower 550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model T8UX2GC5

More about : computer turns

a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2011 9:03:44 PM

A couple of thoughts: Check the 4/8 pin CPU power connection, if it is not properly connected, the CPU doesn't have the juice to work. Also, an overheating CPU would cause this; you could clean the heatsink re-apply the thermal interface material.
m
l
January 8, 2011 9:12:57 PM

Just curious, is it actually shutting down or continuously restarting? If it is restarting does it get through POST, BIOS, Windows splash screen or what?
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2011 9:36:10 PM

Apparently I did get some thermal paste around the edges, it must have been on my finger, I can clean it off the heat sink, but I am reluctant to clean it off the mating part...it is just around the edge, should it be a problem?

I am reapplying the paste, and we will see if I can get it to work.

Thanks again for the input.

It is shutting down, and nothing comes up on the screen.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2011 1:21:37 AM

clean all the ram/pcie connectors with contact/connector spray
January 9, 2011 2:14:35 AM

Thanks, that is what I did, and it is working now. Just now having an overheating issue, but should be able to solve that.

Thanks again for all the input.
m
l
January 9, 2011 2:45:27 AM

Best answer selected by ryanj.
m
l
March 30, 2012 10:01:44 PM

it keep restarting it keeps doing that till i cut the power cord out
m
l
!