Dec 8, 2011
i bought new memory to update my emachine t5274
after i got it installed all the machine did was beep
so i put the old mem back in and it worked
now i find the new says "eec" on it
i was told it was "better" ??
is there a setting??
thankx in advance

ECC isn't better RAM. It is slower RAM. It checks data as it comes and goes for accuracy and that causes overhead.

If you don't need 100% data integrity without crashes (servers do need this) and you are fine with 99.999999% data integrity with possible RAM related crashes, then non-ecc is better because it buys you a lot of additional RAM speed.

I think you should return your ECC RAM to the store and get non-ecc.

I don't know who told you ECC RAM was "better", but I wouldn't ask them for advice again about computers in the future.

cc28777

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

NOW i'm finding out---
i ordered over the i-net
they have a re-stock fee plus the shipping (really both ways)
i really need 2 up-grade mem--
is there a way to make this work in my machine?

ECC should still work in a non-ECC system, just without the parity (which is the point of ECC). It probably didn't work because your computer maxes out at 2GB of RAM, not because of it being ECC. You should try returning that RAM for a refund.

Next time you want to know something like this I suggest you try a google search before you post on the forums because one of the first results from googleing "emachines t5274" was a web page that told me the specifications of the machine, including the maximum RAM at 2GB. Here is a link to the page I found:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines-t5274/4507-3118_7-33130435.html

ECC means Error Correcting Code, a way for the RAM to identify/recover from memory errors that tend to happen once every two weeks or so if a computer is left running 24/7. It must be supported by the motherboard and CPU to work and for the most part only Intel Xeons and AMD Opterons (server CPUs) support it.

I use ECC on my servers and workstations. Intel requires a Xeon CPU, but oddly most 'consumer' AMD CPUs support ECC -- the MOBO also needs to support ECC.

To confuse you more there's RDIMM and UDIMM, RDIMM is typically used on systems with ultra-high density aka lots of DIMM slots.

You'll need to RMA your RAM, it won't run.

Here's compatible RAM -> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=T5274&Cat=RAM

note: It's DDR2 RAM and the limit, according to Crucial, is 2GB (2X1GB).

The computer came with 2GB so upgrade is impossible.