Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GPU for Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2010 3:13:56 PM

I'm building a system for my friend and I need help choosing a graphics card. His one and only concern is Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath. He wants to be able to play it at max settings at his current resolution of 1680x1050.

My price range for the GPU is $1-$70, but I might be able to go slightly higher if it's a really good idea. Nvidia or ATI, it doesn't matter. Neither has features that he will use, so I would go ATI instinctively, because they use less power and give off less heat, but I don't know.

I should also mention he cannot have a GPU that requires external power from the PSU, and he has a PCIEx16 slot. The PCIEx16 slot can fit newer cards, but I'd rather not get a expensive card that will bottleneck on his motherboard.

Thanks for any help!

Best solution

a c 235 U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 3:22:57 PM

here are the games specs.
http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10151/

since you can't have external power then it leaves you with two options. The ATI 4670 DDR3 and 5670 PCI-E 2.0 (assuming you have a decent 300w PSU). Both cards are above the old Nvidia 7800GT in the recommendations.
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2010 7:38:53 PM

On the Nvidia side I played C&C3 with a 8400M on a laptop, it was very smooth and very enjoyable! I later got a PC and stuck a 8600GT in it, and enjoyed great performance again. No external power supply connector in sight! I'd also say the GT 240 is worth a look for your friend, of course I'd only go for the DDR5 versions though.
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2011 12:40:45 AM

Best answer selected by Steffwiz.
m
l
September 19, 2011 12:41:19 AM

Thanks to both of you for the help! Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
m
l
!