Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Online manual/photos Replacing ThinkPad T42 Key

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 12:01:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I am looking for online directions and photos that show how to replace
a single key on an IBM T42 Thinkpad (the plastic cap and the plastic
'pantagraph' underneath, not any electronic mechanism and not the
entire keyboard). Doing this seems to be self-explanatory, but the
parts are tiny and break easily so I want to check whether there is an
easy or standard technique before trying the obvious. I have the
necessary parts. I assume the procedure is the same for most ThinkPads
regardless of model. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2005 1:43:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

GG wrote:
>
> I am looking for online directions and photos that show how to replace
> a single key on an IBM T42 Thinkpad (the plastic cap and the plastic
> 'pantagraph' underneath, not any electronic mechanism and not the
> entire keyboard). Doing this seems to be self-explanatory, but the
> parts are tiny and break easily so I want to check whether there is an
> easy or standard technique before trying the obvious. I have the
> necessary parts. I assume the procedure is the same for most ThinkPads
> regardless of model. Thanks.

You can go to the IBM website and d/l the Hardware Maint. Manual for the T42 but
you wont find how to replace a single key, only how to replace the whole
keyboard.

Bill(TJ)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2005 10:06:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks, but I have the Manual showing how to replace the entire
keyboard. I just want to replace the plastic cap of one key.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2005 6:30:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

GG wrote:
>
> Thanks, but I have the Manual showing how to replace the entire
> keyboard.

Well, I could say...

"I wish I said that, oh... wait... I did.. I must've meant to say you wont find
how to replace a single key anywhere... oh wait.. I said that too.."

... but I wont... sorry, do the voices in my head bother you?

Just push the key back down onto the ears until it snaps into place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 2, 2005 3:36:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The pantagraph tabs that hold the key on to the keyboard are broken,
that's why I can't just push it back in place.. At any rate, IBM sent
me replacement a replacement key cap and pantagraph, so I'll just have
to proceed with caution in pushing the tabs into the appropriate holes.
Just thought there might be some "knowhow" available. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 2, 2005 8:14:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

GG wrote:
> The pantagraph tabs that hold the key on to the keyboard are broken,
> that's why I can't just push it back in place.. At any rate, IBM sent
> me replacement a replacement key cap and pantagraph, so I'll just
have
> to proceed with caution in pushing the tabs into the appropriate
holes.
> Just thought there might be some "knowhow" available. Thanks.

If yours is like my 600e, each key cap has two small white plastic
pieces that are somewhat interlocking/interwined when installed
correctly. Practice and see how this attahces to the key cap (upside
down) and then do the same thing on the keyboard. Once you see how
these attached themselves, you can then put they keycap on top, press
down and you'll hear a soft snap indicating that it is attached
correctly. the Rubber dome on the keyboard is the one that provides the
springy action.
!