Picture project or Nikon View

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 26, 2005 6:09:44 PM

Archived from groups: aus.photo,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi all,

Picture project or Nikon View? Which one do you prefer to handle Nikon
files?

Thanks
Alex
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:09:45 PM

"Alex Gitlits" <agitlits@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Picture project or Nikon View? Which one do you prefer to handle Nikon
> files?

Since Nikon View is no longer supported by Nikon, and PictureProject does
everything Nikon View did and more, the choice is obvious: Irfanview.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:09:46 PM

Archived from groups: aus.photo,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:32:34 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "C J Campbell"
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Alex Gitlits" <agitlits@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Picture project or Nikon View? Which one do you prefer to handle Nikon
>> files?
>
>Since Nikon View is no longer supported by Nikon, and PictureProject does
>everything Nikon View did and more, the choice is obvious: Irfanview.

IIRC, PP does not allow saving to 16-bit JPG. I now don't remember if that
applied to TIFF as well. The interface is also the pits, IMO. However, as
you can't have both installed according to Nikon, it didn't last one day on
my machine. If you think you might give Capture a try, even the demo, the
NV interface is similar.

What more does it do? I don't remember any longer. If it's e-mail or album
related stuff, that's probably why I ignored it.

As far as not being support, nothing is said about this in this recent post
on the US tech site and the most recent update for Windows was just
released on 11/30/2004.
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/e...*&p_li=

Question What is Nikon View? Nikon Capture? Picture Project? Answer
Nikon View software is included with some Nikon Coolpix and D-SLR cameras.

Nikon View is used to browse and download images to the computer from a
supported Nikon digital camera. You can then open and adjust the image in
the standard Nikon Editor, Nikon Capture Editor (if Nikon Capture is
installed) or any registered Image Editor (Adobe Photoshop, for example).
Nikon View also allows you to view the Shooting Data as well as print many
different sizes and layouts of images. Other features of Nikon View
included emailing images, creating web pages, removing Red Eye, uploading
to NikonNet or to a PDA. A full version of Nikon View is available for
download from this site.

Nikon View Software contains the following components:

1. Nikon Transfer - For moving images from camera to computer
2. Nikon Browser - For browsing thumbnail images from transferred images
3. Nikon Viewer - For looking at larger versions of images
4. Nikon Editor - For basic editing (color, contrast, etc.) of images
5. Nikon NEF Plug-in - If Adobe Photoshop is installed Nikon View will
also install a plug-in allowing RAW NEF files to be opened and edited
directly in Photoshop.

Nikon Capture is an accessory software with many features for users of
Nikon cameras which support the NEF or RAW file formats. Nikon Capture
which uses all of the above pieces but adds:

1. Nikon Capture Editor - Advanced Editing allows you to adjust color,
white balance, exposure, sharpening, etc. from Nikon NEF (RAW) files as
well as JPEG's and TIF's and batch processing of images
2. Nikon Camera Control - When the Nikon D-SLR is connected to the
computer Nikon Camera Control can shoot, adjust camera settings and record
images directly to the computer. Camera Control is not supported with
Coolpix cameras.

A 30 day trial version of Nikon Capture can be downloaded from the Nikon
KDB Web Site. A license key can be purchased from the Nikon Mall. The
suggested price for Nikon Capture is US$99.

Be sure to order your copy of Nikon Capture a few days before the end of
the 30 day trial so that you can recieve your unlock code in time.

Picture Project is Nikon's next generation image browser and editor.
Picture Project will have all of the useful functions from Nikon View, but
has an easier interface and workflow. Picture Project works with Nikon
Capture as well as Adobe Photoshop or other image editors.

and from
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/e...*&p_li=

Question Current Versions of Nikon Software Answer To make it easy
to find the most recent versions of software for current Nikon products see
below. You can also search (using the pop-up menus above) to select your
product and "Software Download" as the Category.

For more information on what each software program is, please Click Here
Nikon View
For Downloading, Editing and Managing images from current Coolpix or D-SLR
Cameras

* Click Here for Nikon View 6.2.1 - Windows
* Click Here for Nikon View 6.2.1 - Macintosh

With the following updates

* Click Here for Nikon View 6.2.3 - Windows
* Click Here for Nikon View 6.2.2 - Macintosh

PictureProject
For Downloading, Editing and Managing images from current Coolpix or D-SLR
Cameras

* Click Here for PictureProject 1.1 - Macintosh
* Click Here for PictureProject 1.1 - Windows

Note: Both PictureProject and Nikon View have similar features but cannot
be used together on the same computer. Please read and understand the
descriptions of each before choosing one or the other.

Nikon Capture
For Trial versions of Nikon Capture for advanced Editing controls of NEF
images from Coolpix or D-SLR Cameras and Remote Control of D-SLR's

* Click Here for Nikon Capture 4.0 - Windows
* Click Here for Nikon Capture 4.0 - Macintosh

* Click Here for Nikon Capture 4.1.3 Updater - Windows
* Click Here for Nikon Capture 4.1.3 Updater - Macintosh

Nikon Scan
For control of current USB and IEEE 1394 Nikon film Scanners

* Click Here for Nikon Scan 4.0 - Windows
* Click Here for Nikon Scan 4.0 - Macintosh

With the Nikon Scan 4.0.2 Update

* Click Here for Nikon Scan 4.0.2 Updater - Windows
* Click Here for Nikon Scan 4.0.2 Updater - Macintosh

For control of SCSI Nikon film Scanners

* Click Here for Nikon Scan 3.1.2 - Windows
* Click Here for Nikon Scan 3.1.2 - Macintosh 0S 9

----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 26, 2005 7:59:46 PM

Archived from groups: aus.photo,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Alex Gitlits" <agitlits@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Picture project or Nikon View? Which one do you prefer to handle Nikon
> files?
Whichever one comes with the camera. I do all my work in PS.
Jim
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:24:09 PM

C J Campbell wrote:

> "Alex Gitlits" <agitlits@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Picture project or Nikon View? Which one do you prefer to handle Nikon
>>files?
>

> Since Nikon View is no longer supported by Nikon, and PictureProject does
> everything Nikon View did and more, the choice is obvious: Irfanview.

Thanks for the advice, but what is Irfanview??

Alex
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:24:10 PM

> > Since Nikon View is no longer supported by Nikon, and PictureProject
does
> > everything Nikon View did and more, the choice is obvious: Irfanview.
> >

> Thanks for the advice, but what is Irfanview??

Irfanview is a freeware program that does pretty much everything that
PictureProject or View does, without most of the headaches.

PictureProject automatically saves your work, so you lose your original
file. This is by far the most obnoxious aspect of the program, although the
interface is also bad. Once you have 'imported' a picture in PP you can't
move it -- it is like having a secondary file system on your computer that
does not work even as well as Windows. It does have a nice red-eye removal
tool and the auto-correct mode does a pretty good job as such things go.

View, as I said, is no longer supported by Nikon and, contrary to what
others have said, it is no longer included with any of their cameras.

Irfanview does well with managing your photos and organizing them for
printing.

If you want something that does everything very well then Photoshop Elements
is the way to go. It doesn't mess with your file system and it does a better
job of image manipulation than any of the others.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:24:11 PM

Archived from groups: aus.photo,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:20:12 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "C J Campbell"
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>View, as I said, is no longer supported by Nikon and, contrary to what
>others have said, it is no longer included with any of their cameras.

Sorry, but that was never said, if your implication is in regard to my
reply. It is freely available on the Nikon Tech site and an update to the
Windows version was last posted Nov 30, 2004. That given, along with PP's
faults makes NV an easy choice of the two free programs Nikon provides.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 27, 2005 12:50:12 AM

Archived from groups: aus.photo,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks for this! I currently have Picture project installed by NikonView
seems more convenient and allows more, like batch renaming of files.
Might install NikonView instead.

Cheers
Alex
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:52:19 AM

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:20:12 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "C J Campbell"
> <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>View, as I said, is no longer supported by Nikon and, contrary to what
>>others have said, it is no longer included with any of their cameras.
>

> Sorry, but that was never said, if your implication is in regard to my
> reply. It is freely available on the Nikon Tech site and an update to the
> Windows version was last posted Nov 30, 2004. That given, along with PP's
> faults makes NV an easy choice of the two free programs Nikon provides.
> ----------
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...

Thanks to all, I just switch to Nikon View - so much better than PP!!
Alex
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:52:20 AM

Archived from groups: aus.photo,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:52:19 +1100, in rec.photo.digital Alex Gitlits
<agitlits@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ed Ruf wrote:
>> Sorry, but that was never said, if your implication is in regard to my
>> reply. It is freely available on the Nikon Tech site and an update to the
>> Windows version was last posted Nov 30, 2004. That given, along with PP's
>> faults makes NV an easy choice of the two free programs Nikon provides.

>Thanks to all, I just switch to Nikon View - so much better than PP!!

You are welcome. As long as NV supports the raw format of your camera and
is freely available one would be foolish to exclude it's use just because
it is not bundled with a new camera today. FWIW, The NEF plugin will not
work with PSP, but the PP one is supposed to, at least according to Thom
Hogan's eBook. I believe the NV pluging renders to just 16 bit which PSP
doesn't support, while the PP plugin renders to 8-bit.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
February 1, 2005 6:16:40 PM

Archived from groups: aus.photo,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>> Thanks for the advice, but what is Irfanview??
>
> Irfanview is a freeware program that does pretty much everything
> that PictureProject or View does, without most of the headaches.

.. It does not honour embedded colour profiles. NV does.
.. Colour rendering on Coolpix NEF files is ratshit. NV is OK.
!