Can mobo kill PCI-E graphics cards GPUs?

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I've had 2 GTX570s die in my computer in the past month. The first worked fine for the longest time, then it started to shut my computer as soon as got into a game or started a stresstest on it. After about 3-4x, i died completely and I got no video signal from the card when i booted, and the GPU fan spun at max RPMs. I put another 570 in that was working fine in another computer for months and it worked good for a day and then the next day it started shutting off, happened a few times then it also stopped outputting video, but it didnt run at max fan rpms like the other one did when it died.

my motherboard is a ASUS P5E-VM HDMI and my PSU is an ANTEC Neopower 650w. They were both bought 3 years ago. Im not sure which one is responsible, but I ordered a corsair AX750 because i hope its the PSU. But im worried it is the motherboard because when the second GPU died in my computer so did the onboard NIC.

I do overclocking my CPU mobo but nothing too extreme and i keep the PCIe buss at 100mhz in the bios. I OCed the GPUs as well with Afterburner, but stayed within the predefined voltage limits...

Is it possible its my motherboard that killed these two 570's and that my RMA replacement (should be here tomorrow) will suffer the same fate?

If it ends up being my motherboard and i have to get a new one, can someone recommend a good mATX lga775 board? I've heard that the ones with the new G41 chipsets cant really be overclocked at all and dont have RAID, both of which are important things to me. Been trying to find a good P/G 45 LGA775 matx mobo but cant, except for insanely priced refurbs.

Usually the only way a motherboard will take out a video card is if there is an electrical surge that comes through the motherboard. If you overclock your mileage on anything will always vary. I would check your PSU voltages and make sure they are staying within specs of +/- 10% of the 12v, 5v, 3.3 volt lines. This is usually a good tell tale sign of a power supply going out.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008

i dont have a voltmeter or any other PSU test equipment. But when i get in windows (using onboard video) and do any sorts of tests in OCCT it always reports my +12v to be around 9-9.2v. When i go in the BIOS and look at the voltages tho it says its almost 12v exactly. i know they not the most accurate readings possible, but thats all i could do for now.