Problems with winplan and WIN XP

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003

Greetings!

I got the following mail from one of my players:

I have just recently up dated my Computer, and as a result to these up
>> dates
>> I can no longer run VGAplanets v3??????
>> I run windows XP. I was playing VGAP before the updates and now I get
>> this
>> message,
>> C:\windows\system32\autoexe.nt. the system file is not suitable for
>> running
>> MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications.....
>>
>> is there a patch or a quick fix or is this a new problem?

Has anyone heard of this problem or has any idea of this?

Greets Matthias
Host High Command (www.high-command.de)

Matthias <host@high-command.de> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I got the following mail from one of my players:
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> I have just recently up dated my Computer, and as a result to these up
> >> dates I can no longer run VGAplanets v3
> >> I run windows XP. I was playing VGAP before the updates and now I get
> >> this message,
> >> C:\windows\system32\autoexe.nt. the system file is not suitable for
> >> running MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications.....
> >>
> >> is there a patch or a quick fix or is this a new problem?
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Has anyone heard of this problem or has any idea of this?
>
> Greets Matthias
> Host High Command (www.high-command.de)

I have encountered the problem twice before and solved it by copying the
autoexe.nt file from an other computer.

I must admit that I am glad that you have this problem. Now I know where
to lok for, because the other people "did nothing, it just stopped working".

--
Hennes

I use XP Pro here, haven't tried winplan on it yet.. cpu is a amd
2500. If you are using a 64bit cpu that may be it.
This is the contents of the autoexec.nt file for comparison, below the
---'s :
-----------------------
@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

REM The following line enables Sound Blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM.
REM The command for setting the BLASTER environment is as follows:
REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
REM where:
REM A specifies the sound blaster's base I/O port
REM I specifies the interrupt request line
REM D specifies the 8-bit DMA channel
REM P specifies the MPU-401 base I/O port
REM T specifies the type of sound blaster card
REM 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
REM 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
REM 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
REM 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
REM 6 - SOund Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
REM
REM The default value is A220 I5 D1 T3 and P330. If any of the
switches is
REM left unspecified, the default value will be used. (NOTE, since
all the
REM ports are virtualized, the information provided here does not
have to
REM match the real hardware setting.) NTVDM supports Sound Blaster
2.0 only.
REM The T switch must be set to 3, if specified.
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM To disable the sound blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM, specify an
invalid
REM SB base I/O port address. For example:
REM SET BLASTER=A0

I have winplan running on one of my XP machines w/ no problem.

Try replacing that file, I have a feeling it's not the original.

"Matthias" <host@high-command.de> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> I got the following mail from one of my players:
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> I have just recently up dated my Computer, and as a result to these up
>>> dates
>>> I can no longer run VGAplanets v3??????
>>> I run windows XP. I was playing VGAP before the updates and now I get
>>> this
>>> message,
>>> C:\windows\system32\autoexe.nt. the system file is not suitable for
>>> running
>>> MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications.....
>>>
>>> is there a patch or a quick fix or is this a new problem?
>
> Has anyone heard of this problem or has any idea of this?
>
> Greets Matthias
> Host High Command (www.high-command.de)

Yeah, Dos-Applications won't run anymore on Win XP 64 Bit Edition ...