Problems with winplan and WIN XP

Greetings!

I got the following mail from one of my players:

I have just recently up dated my Computer, and as a result to these up
>> dates
>> I can no longer run VGAplanets v3??????
>> I run windows XP. I was playing VGAP before the updates and now I get
>> this
>> message,
>> C:\windows\system32\autoexe.nt. the system file is not suitable for
>> running
>> MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications.....
>>
>> is there a patch or a quick fix or is this a new problem?

Has anyone heard of this problem or has any idea of this?

Greets Matthias
Host High Command (www.high-command.de)
5 answers Last reply
More about problems winplan
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Matthias <host@high-command.de> wrote:
    > Greetings!
    >
    > I got the following mail from one of my players:
    >
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > I have just recently up dated my Computer, and as a result to these up
    > >> dates I can no longer run VGAplanets v3
    > >> I run windows XP. I was playing VGAP before the updates and now I get
    > >> this message,
    > >> C:\windows\system32\autoexe.nt. the system file is not suitable for
    > >> running MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications.....
    > >>
    > >> is there a patch or a quick fix or is this a new problem?
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >
    > Has anyone heard of this problem or has any idea of this?
    >
    > Greets Matthias
    > Host High Command (www.high-command.de)

    I have encountered the problem twice before and solved it by copying the
    autoexe.nt file from an other computer.

    I must admit that I am glad that you have this problem. Now I know where
    to lok for, because the other people "did nothing, it just stopped working".

    --
    Hennes
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    I use XP Pro here, haven't tried winplan on it yet.. cpu is a amd
    2500. If you are using a 64bit cpu that may be it.
    This is the contents of the autoexec.nt file for comparison, below the
    ---'s :
    -----------------------
    @echo off

    REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
    REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
    REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

    REM Install CD ROM extensions
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

    REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

    REM Install DPMI support
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

    REM The following line enables Sound Blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM.
    REM The command for setting the BLASTER environment is as follows:
    REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
    REM where:
    REM A specifies the sound blaster's base I/O port
    REM I specifies the interrupt request line
    REM D specifies the 8-bit DMA channel
    REM P specifies the MPU-401 base I/O port
    REM T specifies the type of sound blaster card
    REM 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
    REM 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
    REM 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
    REM 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
    REM 6 - SOund Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
    REM
    REM The default value is A220 I5 D1 T3 and P330. If any of the
    switches is
    REM left unspecified, the default value will be used. (NOTE, since
    all the
    REM ports are virtualized, the information provided here does not
    have to
    REM match the real hardware setting.) NTVDM supports Sound Blaster
    2.0 only.
    REM The T switch must be set to 3, if specified.
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

    REM To disable the sound blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM, specify an
    invalid
    REM SB base I/O port address. For example:
    REM SET BLASTER=A0
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    I have winplan running on one of my XP machines w/ no problem.

    Try replacing that file, I have a feeling it's not the original.

    "Matthias" <host@high-command.de> wrote in message
    > Greetings!
    >
    > I got the following mail from one of my players:
    >
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > I have just recently up dated my Computer, and as a result to these up
    >>> dates
    >>> I can no longer run VGAplanets v3??????
    >>> I run windows XP. I was playing VGAP before the updates and now I get
    >>> this
    >>> message,
    >>> C:\windows\system32\autoexe.nt. the system file is not suitable for
    >>> running
    >>> MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications.....
    >>>
    >>> is there a patch or a quick fix or is this a new problem?
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >
    > Has anyone heard of this problem or has any idea of this?
    >
    > Greets Matthias
    > Host High Command (www.high-command.de)

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Yeah, Dos-Applications won't run anymore on Win XP 64 Bit Edition ...

    "Stormbull" <host@vgap.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I use XP Pro here, haven't tried winplan on it yet.. cpu is a amd
    > 2500. If you are using a 64bit cpu that may be it.
    > This is the contents of the autoexec.nt file for comparison, below the
    > ---'s :
    > -----------------------
    > @echo off
    >
    > REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
    > REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
    > REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.
    >
    > REM Install CD ROM extensions
    > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
    >
    > REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
    > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
    >
    > REM Install DPMI support
    > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
    >
    > REM The following line enables Sound Blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM.
    > REM The command for setting the BLASTER environment is as follows:
    > REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
    > REM where:
    > REM A specifies the sound blaster's base I/O port
    > REM I specifies the interrupt request line
    > REM D specifies the 8-bit DMA channel
    > REM P specifies the MPU-401 base I/O port
    > REM T specifies the type of sound blaster card
    > REM 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
    > REM 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
    > REM 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
    > REM 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
    > REM 6 - SOund Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
    > REM
    > REM The default value is A220 I5 D1 T3 and P330. If any of the
    > switches is
    > REM left unspecified, the default value will be used. (NOTE, since
    > all the
    > REM ports are virtualized, the information provided here does not
    > have to
    > REM match the real hardware setting.) NTVDM supports Sound Blaster
    > 2.0 only.
    > REM The T switch must be set to 3, if specified.
    > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
    >
    > REM To disable the sound blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM, specify an
    > invalid
    > REM SB base I/O port address. For example:
    > REM SET BLASTER=A0

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    I forwarded the answer to my player.

    Thanks everyone for the help.

    Greets Matthias, HighCommand
    www.high-command.de