SOLO 2500 BIOS upgrade failed

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 6:16:17 AM

I recently replaced the HDD in my SOLO 2500 notebook The old drive was
4 GB, I replaced with a Hitachi 20 GB. The original BIOS came up after
HDD install seeing only 8.4.GB. I downloaded the Gateway 7507697 BIOS
upgrade and ran according to instructions.
Everything goes well until the error message " Expanded Memory
Manager (EMM) detected" comes up. I tried this update after HDD
format and before installing the O.S.
Web site
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/SHARED/2900728su4.s...
claims 30 GB use possible on this model.

Gateway tech support was not very useful, and wanted me to
try it from Safe mode (??) I installed the O.S and confirmed that the
system is really only recognizing 8.4 GB. Old BIOS is still intact,
sytem is now running but without full HDD recognition.
I've tried several different downloads of the same BIOS in case one
download was faulty. Anyone been on this road?
Win 98 O.S
February 26, 2005 11:54:42 AM

You should be upgrading from a dos formatted floppy. EMM indicates you are
using something like a Win 98 boot floppy. Format a floppy and copy the new
bios to it, then boot from the floppy.
Terry

"Specklebird" <Blacktooth@verizon-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I recently replaced the HDD in my SOLO 2500 notebook The old drive was
> 4 GB, I replaced with a Hitachi 20 GB. The original BIOS came up after
> HDD install seeing only 8.4.GB. I downloaded the Gateway 7507697 BIOS
> upgrade and ran according to instructions.
> Everything goes well until the error message " Expanded Memory
> Manager (EMM) detected" comes up. I tried this update after HDD
> format and before installing the O.S.
> Web site
> http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/SHARED/2900728su4.s...
> claims 30 GB use possible on this model.
>
> Gateway tech support was not very useful, and wanted me to
> try it from Safe mode (??) I installed the O.S and confirmed that the
> system is really only recognizing 8.4 GB. Old BIOS is still intact,
> sytem is now running but without full HDD recognition.
> I've tried several different downloads of the same BIOS in case one
> download was faulty. Anyone been on this road?
> Win 98 O.S

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 7:00:15 PM

Specklebird wrote:
> I recently replaced the HDD in my SOLO 2500 notebook The old drive was
> 4 GB, I replaced with a Hitachi 20 GB. The original BIOS came up after
> HDD install seeing only 8.4.GB. I downloaded the Gateway 7507697 BIOS
> upgrade and ran according to instructions.
> Everything goes well until the error message " Expanded Memory
> Manager (EMM) detected" comes up. I tried this update after HDD
> format and before installing the O.S.
> Web site
> http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/SHARED/2900728su4.s...
> claims 30 GB use possible on this model.
>
> Gateway tech support was not very useful, and wanted me to
> try it from Safe mode (??) I installed the O.S and confirmed that the
> system is really only recognizing 8.4 GB. Old BIOS is still intact,
> sytem is now running but without full HDD recognition.
> I've tried several different downloads of the same BIOS in case one
> download was faulty. Anyone been on this road?
> Win 98 O.S

From the Gateway Solo 2500 BIOS download screen notes:

When updating your computer's BIOS, the update process fails if you use
a floppy disk formatted in Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows NT®, or
Windows XP. Instead, use a new IBM pre-formatted disk. **Refer to
Readme.txt file for more details.**

a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 8:21:29 PM

Usually, flash updates should be done from an MS-DOS disk that does NOT
have an EMM installed. Pure, straight, simple DOS. NO enhancements,
not even EMM386 or Highmem.sys (or smartdrv or MSCDEX or CD-ROM support,
etc.).

Specklebird wrote:

> I recently replaced the HDD in my SOLO 2500 notebook The old drive was
> 4 GB, I replaced with a Hitachi 20 GB. The original BIOS came up after
> HDD install seeing only 8.4.GB. I downloaded the Gateway 7507697 BIOS
> upgrade and ran according to instructions.
> Everything goes well until the error message " Expanded Memory
> Manager (EMM) detected" comes up. I tried this update after HDD
> format and before installing the O.S.
> Web site
> http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/SHARED/2900728su4.s...
> claims 30 GB use possible on this model.
>
> Gateway tech support was not very useful, and wanted me to
> try it from Safe mode (??) I installed the O.S and confirmed that the
> system is really only recognizing 8.4 GB. Old BIOS is still intact,
> sytem is now running but without full HDD recognition.
> I've tried several different downloads of the same BIOS in case one
> download was faulty. Anyone been on this road?
> Win 98 O.S

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 8:38:00 PM

Thanks to all who posted help with my bios upgrade problem. I have a
full HDD now!
I was using the right floppy to download the BIOS to, but I was
booting the computer using the original Gateway "boot disk' which oh,
by the way has windows 95 enhancements. The Gateway site did intruct
to "boot clean", but their instructiions for that were unclear on
doing it without an OS on the drive yet. Live and learn.
Thanks once again. I'm hooked & am now reading the pages when I
have time just to see what other kind of problems are out there.
Maybe I can offer some help to others some day. :)
!