Extreme build. $4000+ budget. Need GPU advice

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Ok, I currently have a really high end water cooled machine that I built last year. Usually every year I sell my previous system while it's still worth a lot, and then upgrade to the latest and greatest. It's that time of the year again and I need some advice.

Here are my current plans

CPU: Sandy Bridge I7 2600K OCed and Water Cooled
MOBO: ?????? Don't know. Should I wait a while for some reviews and more to come out?
PSU: Corsair 1200W Gold Certified
Hard drive: I currently have a Corsair P256 256gb SSD and want to get another one to RAID for a 512gb main drive. Then get a few raptors raided for a secondary drive.
RAM: Not sure yet.
Case: Already have: 800D
Keyboard & Mouse: Already have.
Monitors: Already have. 3 x 26"

Video Card(s): This is why I'm making this post. I don't know what to do. I've always been an ATI guy and have 3 26" monitors set up in eyefintiy on my current 5970. Should I go with 2 6970s? Or maybe even 3? Or should I wait for the new 6990 to come out and possible even buy two of them? Or should I drop my ATI fanboism and try my hand at Nvidia? I've never really dealt with Nvidia, so it'd probably be a pain. No matter what I do, I will water cool the cards.

The system will be used for a lot of high end gaming and general everyday activities. If someone has advice other than just the video card, please feel free. I have at least a $4000 budget so feel free to post the highest specs possible.

Thanks

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I would wait for the 6990 at the budget

You don't have to water cool to get great temps on Sandy Bridge you can just use a 30 buck air cooler like the hyper 212+ and get temps at like 68c load while at 5.2ghz I don't have my link right now sorry I can't prove this

Mobo wait for reviews

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

I water cool for peace of mind when OCing, looks, and more importantly sound. I like to keep my rigs as quiet as possible.

I know the 5970 suffers from problems when using 2 of them, so I'm wondering if the 6990 will have the same problem. If it doesn, 2 6970's will probably be better.

$4000 budget and your going for a 2600K??

You really think you need a 1200w psu for two 6970's??

So you already have a case, ssd, monitors, keyboard and mouse and you want to spend $4000 on a 2600k, mobo, ram and another ssd and a couple raptors, and a psu?

Something tells me your going to have $2500+ left over.

Triple LOL

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

Way to be an ass. And probably a jealous one.

Two 6990s = Well the 5970s are $700. So two 6990s will be at least $1300
2600K = $320
Another P256 SSD = $600
High end Mobo = $300
High End 12gb RAM = $400
PSU 1200W=$300
EK Water Blocks= $120 x 2 = 240
Backplates = 25 x 2 = $50
Rads = $60 x 2 = $120
Res = $40
Pump = $60
Tubing = $30
Compression Fittings = They're around $9 each and I'm doing multiple loops. So at least $100

Total = 3860.

So keep crying.

Air cooling...4.8 Ghz, free.....

Water cooling....4.95 Ghz, $430.....

Increase in fps for SLI/Crossfire rig at 1920x1200: .3 fps....

SSDs do indeed shave a few seconds off Winblows boot times, and game level load times....; as to it being 'worth it' ($600), your call of course....

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

Water cooling for sound.

I have 3 monitors in eyefinity. So Crossfire will be way more of an increase than just a few FPS.

I have an SSD already and love it, but it is a bit too small. The second one will be for a RAID 0 for even faster speeds and a larger partition.

Every forum I post this on I always get people who think the thread title is "Should I spend $4000 on a new PC, please tell me why I shouldn't"

But it's not. I don't care if you think water cooling is a waste, nor do I care if you think I'm wasting money. It's my money, I have plenty of it, and I've built numerous rigs before and have always been satisfied. It's a hobby, and one I like to take as far as possible.

All I asked was for an opinion on the video card and maybe an opinion on other hardware while still keeping the high end theme. I didn't say a word about trying to save money. I don't need to.

Yes I'm so jealous.

My monthly boat payments alone are more than your lil puter.

I agree with mdd1963, makes no sense. If you have room in your budget for something called speakers, your not going to hear any sound while gaming anyways. lol

4K for a single cpu system is just dumb.

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

Wow.........you're the one who decided to come in to this thread and start flaming. The whole "triple lol" thing you threw into the end of your post wasn't exactly in good faith. And now you're butt hurt so you have to throw in how much money yous pend on a boat....wow.

Do you really think I just forgot about how I was going to hear games? You're just grasping at straws now. I have a headset.

All I asked was advice on hardware. I didn't ask whether or not you think spending 4 grand on a computer was a good idea. You think it's dumb? Fine, keep it to yourself. I think spending thousand and thousands of dollars on a boat is 10x more insane than buying a computer. The cost per use ration is way worse on a boat.

You don't want me to insult you? Try not coming into a post and laughing at the person because they want to spend a lot of money on a hobby. You come off looking like a massive douche.

A lot of people spend this much on computers. Overclockers spend tens of thousands. How about you go to overclockers.com's forums and tell them all how stupid you think they are. I'm sure they'd love to hear it.