Power Requirements for SLI and OC'ing

Hey guys,

I am currently running an i7 930 and a GTX 470 on an Ultra LSP 750W power supply. I purchased a 9800GTX+ for PhysX and realized that my PSU couldn't push both cards (received boot problems). I also plan to get another GTX 470 for SLI, OC my i7 to atleast 4.2Ghz and still want to include that 9800GTX+ so I was wondering how much wattage should I look for on a new power supply as well as Amps on the +12V rail. Please consider that when OC'ing my CPU I will be buying a high end CPU cooler as well.
I was looking at the Corsair HX1000W PSU but I don't know if that would be enough or overkill. I was hoping to not spend more than $250 on this unit.

Current Specs:
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel i7 930
RAM: 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz
HDD: 2 500GB Seagate Barracuda, 1 750GB Seagate Barracuda
Optical Drives: 2 Samsung Super-multi Drives
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
GPU: EVGA GTX 470
PSU: Ultra LSP 750

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about power requirements
  1. Well, you seem like a man with cash to burn, why not go for the biggest PSU you can find? It will be a very sturdy investment for future upgrades!
  2. i dont think everyone wants to spend their MAX amount lol.........

most people ocme here for budget advice i wouldnt be suprised if he was the same
  3. Like I said, not wanting to spend more than $250 on this unit.
  4. why dont u go with this coolermaster 1000w on sale for $169.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171049

its cheaper than the corsair and its a 80 plus bronze which will be more efficient. this has more power than u need and will also be good for future upgrades.

it has 80 amps on the 12v which sould be good for you rig
  5. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look at that one too.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product